Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-31-2011, 06:07 PM

170 posts, read 362,198 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by pvande55 View Post
So it is OK to choose where to shop but not for a union to organize a boycott?
... for the taxpayers to vote for candidates who promise to reign in the Civil Service "Workers" Union??

oh gee, they already did that
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-31-2011, 06:13 PM

44,882 posts, read 33,280,580 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by florida.bob View Post
If that were widespread and a consistent tactic being used, I could agree with you. But, I don't know that and neither do you. I recall some nut going on and on about NY Sanitation Union worker conspiracy after a snow storm a while back. Completely bogus. Who knows what this in Wisc will turn out to be.
Come on bob, you could read the links I provided for you. I know you don't want it to be true but it is whether you like it or not. Go ahead and read those two pieces and then try to come up with Megyn Kelly's piece on Fox about 12:45 this afternoon. She played an interview with two brothers who didn't put up the support sign and got threatened with a boycott. Those two brothers sell and install safety systems for homes and small businesses and just can't see why not putting up the sign is saying no to the union. Can you explain that to us?

Old 03-31-2011, 06:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tofurkey View Post
I'd go to a grocery displaying a Union support sign and load up a big push cart. At check out I'd ask if they have their Union support sign properly displayed - of course, I've already verified before entering. If they say yes, I park my fully loaded cart and apologize, telling them I won't be able to do business there.

Win/win... they can hire another Union worker to re-stock my non-purchases.
Outstanding way to deal with unions. I would like to see something like that but here we are right-to-work and unions just can't do the things they get by with in Wisconsin.

Old 03-31-2011, 06:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pvande55 View Post
So it is OK to choose where to shop but not for a union to organize a boycott? Even Milt Friedman espoused freedom of choice. The question is how effective it will be.
You just can't see the difference between one boycott and the other? Surely you can give less support to the unions when they call not putting up a sign a resounding NO from the businessman.

Old 03-31-2011, 06:30 PM

48,502 posts, read 96,877,697 times
Well it usually works both ways and a losing propostion to support boycotts,

Old 03-31-2011, 08:22 PM

1,123 posts, read 776,588 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Backspace View Post
They're dying and they know it, these are just the final breaths of a dead union and the American tax payers should feel great about it, I know I do.
Absolutely. The death of public unions is on the horizon...

Old 03-31-2011, 08:25 PM

1,123 posts, read 776,588 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JazzyTallGuy View Post
Denying collective bargaining is hardly free market.
Public unions have no right or justification for CB. It is time that the rest of the country stops being asked to subsidize someone else, starting with the rest of the middle class having to pay for the benefits, salaries and cushy retirements of public union workers.

Old 03-31-2011, 08:34 PM

4,410 posts, read 6,139,890 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sterpetron View Post
Public unions have no right or justification for CB. It is time that the rest of the country stops being asked to subsidize someone else, starting with the rest of the middle class having to pay for the benefits, salaries and cushy retirements of public union workers.
I want to stop paying for banksters huge salaries, CEO's golden parachutes, the rich who pay less in taxes than I do as well as the huge amount of money withheld from our treasury by corporations that claim their headquarters are in the Bahamas WAY before I demonize my local teachers, janitors, firefighters, policemen etc. No way will I kill the middle class to "save" it.

Old 03-31-2011, 08:39 PM

19,890 posts, read 18,758,413 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by roysoldboy View Post
It seems that the union has circulated a letter to small business owners, like those who sell and keep up home protection systems are being called out to either support the union or be boycotted. I wonder how many of those public employee members work with those businesses.

When you read this story make sure to click on the Milwaukee Journal Sentinel story provided in it.

Wisconsin public sector union threatening businesses with boycotts - Spokane Conservative | Examiner.com

When will they be threatening home owners with some kind of punishment for not supporting them openly? They are down to small business owners and telling them that neutral means "no" in union talk. Godawmighty what will they do next?

And they get offended when they are described as thugs.................

Old 03-31-2011, 08:42 PM

5,864 posts, read 4,981,656 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by roysoldboy View Post
It seems that the union has circulated a letter to small business owners, like those who sell and keep up home protection systems are being called out to either support the union or be boycotted. I wonder how many of those public employee members work with those businesses.

When you read this story make sure to click on the Milwaukee Journal Sentinel story provided in it.

Wisconsin public sector union threatening businesses with boycotts - Spokane Conservative | Examiner.com

When will they be threatening home owners with some kind of punishment for not supporting them openly? They are down to small business owners and telling them that neutral means "no" in union talk. Godawmighty what will they do next?
Not saying I agree or disagree with the public unions and their premise here but isn't this is a bit like corporations threatening to leave a state if they don't lower their taxes?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies