Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-06-2011, 08:46 PM

2,471 posts, read 4,020,136 times

Advertisements

please. anyone who is advocating for pepper spraying an 8 yr old kid needs their head examined. no matter what the kid was doing. this child did not have a firearm. he had a piece of wood. let's get real here.

cops used to be some the toughest, hardest working people in this country. i still see cops of that mold from time to time. but they're getting to be few and far between and it's pretty sad.

That cop really can't disarm an 8 year old child without resorting to pepper spraying the kid?

just pathetic. gutless.

cops today seem to serve and protect themselves above the citizens. time and time again they seem to take the easy way out, resorting to pulling out the pepper spray and taser, or even their guns to use totally excessive force on people just because their worried about their own butts.

i'll tell you what, stuff like this would not be tolerated 50 years ago.

but then again it's hard to blame the cops. the way their benefits are being cut all over the country who can blame them for doing a half ass job.

i don't know what to say about a society who needs to cut spending and decides that their number one targets are cops, firefighters, and teachers.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-06-2011, 08:54 PM

1,594 posts, read 3,057,764 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roadking2003 View Post
How about talk to him.
Trying to reason with a person of any age having a violent meltdown is next to impossible. The anger needs to be diffused before anything.

Old 04-06-2011, 09:12 PM

8,949 posts, read 12,140,576 times
There is amazing lack of empathy for this emotionally disturbed child on this forum. Sad, really, that adults can't feel anything for this kid that they are cheering the fact that he was pepper sprayed.

While in college I had a job for a while at a juvenile detention center and then as a supervisor at a residential treatment facility for teenagers. I was 20, and about 200 pounds. I am built like a stereotypical cop. Our kids were all emotionally disturbed/mentally ill. If they got violent our job was to keep ourselves and them safe... The kids were form 7 - 18. Over the two years I worked in residential treatment I probably dealt with 40 situations where kids were violent, threatening, throwing things, etc. Very similar to the situation described.

There was not a single incident where my adult co-workers and I could not keep a kid and ourselves safe without resorting to weapons. (We didn't have any). No one ever was injured, and only about 25% of the time did we have to use the techniques we were taught for safely restraining a child.

A couple of times the kids had some kind of weapon.

Pepper spray on an 8 year old? Absurd.

Old 04-06-2011, 09:17 PM

1,216 posts, read 1,464,512 times
They may have done the kid and his mother a favor today. Now he knows there are sucky consequences to his actions. Now he will have something negative to remember next time he starts throwing desks and chairs and trying to attack teachers and students. Remember, this is the THIRD time cops have been called for this child.

People in their mid-20s and older need to realize that school and children are different then we were. They KNOW the adults in their world cannot do anything more than talk sternly to them. They have this figured out by the time the enter pre-k. They look teachers dead in the eye and laugh when they are being scolded for biting little johnny, then turn right around and go bite him again. By the time they are in high school they are in the In School Suspension room bragging about their police records and the funny things their counselors have said to them to try to fix them. They will get up and walk out of the suspension room and leave the school because they don't want to be their anymore.

And this is the behavior I have seen in a small, rural, relatively afluent school.

While this is a very small percent of the student body, their problems are the most concerning. They have no fear or respect for authority and instead view it as joke, hence the eight year old boy screaming "come get me f-------" when the cops arrived.

Old 04-06-2011, 09:19 PM

3,197 posts, read 2,853,909 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by phillies2011 View Post
please. anyone who is advocating for pepper spraying an 8 yr old kid needs their head examined. no matter what the kid was doing. this child did not have a firearm. he had a piece of wood. let's get real here.

cops used to be some the toughest, hardest working people in this country. i still see cops of that mold from time to time. but they're getting to be few and far between and it's pretty sad.

That cop really can't disarm an 8 year old child without resorting to pepper spraying the kid?

just pathetic. gutless.

cops today seem to serve and protect themselves above the citizens. time and time again they seem to take the easy way out, resorting to pulling out the pepper spray and taser, or even their guns to use totally excessive force on people just because their worried about their own butts.

i'll tell you what, stuff like this would not be tolerated 50 years ago.

but then again it's hard to blame the cops. the way their benefits are being cut all over the country who can blame them for doing a half ass job.

i don't know what to say about a society who needs to cut spending and decides that their number one targets are cops, firefighters, and teachers.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Darkatt View Post
And what qualifies you to make such declarations? Have you ever dealt with someone who is determined at all costs to injure you?

What happens after you grab his wrist? When he starts trying to bite you, kick you, and starts spinning and twirling? When you leave marks on the kid, when you break his wrist, or dislocate his shoulder?

Are you ready for the lawsuit that will happen after you leave huge bruises all over the kid's arms/legs/head/mouth attempting to prevent him for injuring you any way he can?

Kid's lucky they didn't taser him.
This.

So you disarm the kid. Take the wood away and throw it off to the side. Not to hard right. But he isn't going to whimper and curl into the fetal position when that happens, this kid is going bat-**** crazy. The cop(s) grab the kid by the arms. The kid struggles, thrashes, falls on the ground, marks are probably forming on the arms of the kid (and of course the media would exaggerate that) and the kid might even start biting at the hands or arms of the officers. What then? That could easily lead to infection.

Why even RISK injury to either party, when the officers had the options to end it quickly. No dislocations, sprains, hyperextensions to the kid, no bruises (from kicking or the stick), bites, or further injury to the officer. They made the right move, by using non-lethal, to subdue the kid and put into his head that his actions won't just continue to result in a little slap on the wrist.

Old 04-06-2011, 09:30 PM

11,270 posts, read 11,032,046 times
The people who believe that the cops overreacted are the same people who think parents should be arrested for child abuse for spanking their childs buttox when he/she misbehaves. Or, they just dislike law enforcement in general. I'll bet they're mostly liberals.

The police used appropriate force for the situation. Why should they put themselves in unnecessary danger? The child needs serious help before he injures or kills someone, or he will be a burden to the taxpayer in prison when he gets older. Conduct disorder is no laughing matter, and it seems this child has a severe case of it.

Old 04-06-2011, 09:52 PM

8,346 posts, read 7,046,395 times
Whoever says that they should've "talked" to the kid, they tried.

This also isn't the first time there was an incident with this kid.

And those who are saying that "'Oh, it's just a stick! They could've disarmed him!" it wasn't just a stick.

It was a piece of wall trim that he admitted that he wanted to stab the cops with.

When a kid at the age of 8 is in that much of a rage, and wanting to stab people, you don't' want to try to restrain him. It's going to cause an injury on SOMEONE.

What the cops did was the safest course of action.

Of course, idiots with no experience with enraged kids are going to cry over this. However, they also would've complained if the cop tried to restrain the kid.

In this day and age, cops can never do anything right according to the idiotic uninformed public.

It's sad, really.

Old 04-06-2011, 10:30 PM

10,181 posts, read 10,262,186 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mlassoff View Post
There is amazing lack of empathy for this emotionally disturbed child on this forum. Sad, really, that adults can't feel anything for this kid that they are cheering the fact that he was pepper sprayed.

While in college I had a job for a while at a juvenile detention center and then as a supervisor at a residential treatment facility for teenagers. I was 20, and about 200 pounds. I am built like a stereotypical cop. Our kids were all emotionally disturbed/mentally ill. If they got violent our job was to keep ourselves and them safe... The kids were form 7 - 18. Over the two years I worked in residential treatment I probably dealt with 40 situations where kids were violent, threatening, throwing things, etc. Very similar to the situation described.

There was not a single incident where my adult co-workers and I could not keep a kid and ourselves safe without resorting to weapons. (We didn't have any). No one ever was injured, and only about 25% of the time did we have to use the techniques we were taught for safely restraining a child.

A couple of times the kids had some kind of weapon.

Pepper spray on an 8 year old? Absurd.
Sounds like you probably had protocols to follow plus a bunch of co-workers to back you up. Was someone's mommy going to go right to the media had you done your job? Were you trained to deal with those entrusted to your care? Did parents really have any say of what happened to their kids when they stepped out of line in a juvie detention center as long as it was protocol?

Was THIS kid in a public school? Teachers or admin or cops lay a HAND on a kid acting out in a public school...who is going to get sued? I'll tell you who. The cops and the teachers. Just happened a few years ago in my school district. A few cops got sent to the ER, but the students who injured the cops weren't to blame...and if the cops didn't keep some form of personal restraint the students jumping on the backs of the cops would have been the ones in the ER...

Or was this kid in a "special" school where protocols are in place and the teachers and admin are trained to handle the outbursts (violent or not) before calling in the police?

I don't think the kid should have been pepper sprayed, but he shouldn't be allowed in a school that isn't equipped to handle his issues/outbursts - especially if he's the little whacko he's proven to be. Maybe he should be tested for the "warrior gene" and should he turn up +, be excused for his BS until he's in tax-payer sponsored therapy?

Mommy needs to sign a waiver stating that when her sweet little boy threatens another student or a staff member, that she won't sue for any actions taken to get him under control - and the staff should be video-taping all of it. Or, Mommy needs to homeschool him. And keep crazy out of mainstream.

Old 04-06-2011, 10:40 PM

38 posts, read 94,718 times
Why is there even any discussion about this?? I'm amazed.

I thought police were trained in how to restrain someone - keep them from moving much - so that they can stop a person without causing serious bruises, internal bleeding, whatever else you all are saying. If cops can't manage this on a little kid, then....well, my confidence in the police has been shaken once more!

Pepper spray is a big deal. Even letting out a tiny bit in a closed room will have everyone choking and having other reactions (I know because this was done as a prank a couple times in high school....we had to evacuate the room both times and couldn't go back in all period because people couldn't breathe right....and that's from a little, indirect spray from across the room!).

Old 04-06-2011, 11:54 PM

3,004 posts, read 3,887,322 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ditchlights View Post
The people who believe that the cops overreacted are the same people who think parents should be arrested for child abuse for spanking their childs buttox when he/she misbehaves. Or, they just dislike law enforcement in general. I'll bet they're mostly liberals.

The police used appropriate force for the situation. Why should they put themselves in unnecessary danger? The child needs serious help before he injures or kills someone, or he will be a burden to the taxpayer in prison when he gets older. Conduct disorder is no laughing matter, and it seems this child has a severe case of it.
So true!! Good post.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies