Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-23-2011, 03:20 PM

4,002 posts, read 3,911,213 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darkatt View Post
Your statement is inaccurate. Marriage WAS a religious function and not one that the government had a hand in until recently in the United States.
And the funniest part of the argument is that there is supposed to be a separation of "Church" and "State" in this nation.

Take prayer out of the schools? .. Fine .. Want to be married? .. Go see a preacher ..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-23-2011, 03:25 PM

4,877 posts, read 4,513,954 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rlarson21 View Post
Who says you get to DEFINE marriage as only for YOUR ORIENTATION. (that's unconstitutional)

Children SHOULD be learning that it's OK to be gay. Being gay is NOT a choice. the GAY KIDS In SCHOOL will have a much healthier self esteem because of it. The fact that you think that you can 'turn' kids gay in school seems to show you know little about the facts behind the situation.
When I was in school we learned self-esteem by working to get good grades. It meant we learned something.

That is the function of school. To learn kids things.

It's not to talk about sexual deviants.

Old 04-23-2011, 03:37 PM

1,615 posts, read 2,577,832 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OhioIstheBest View Post
When I was in school we learned self-esteem by working to get good grades. It meant we learned something.

Really? In my school part of the function for ME was being HARASSED by nearly LITERALLY EVERY SINGLE SCHOOL MATE for about 5 years. NOT ONLY in school but all around town, in church and out in public. I now have complex PTSD because of it. Part of me literally died, NEVER to come back. These years in school I spent many days contemplating suicide, finding ways to stay home from school to the point that my GPA suffered. Who can concentrate on DOING well, when you're only concerned with SURVIAL?

And by the way *********. I am not a deviate. I am an damn good person. You should be ashamed of yourself to speak to me that way. to me you're just spiritual scum. You have the EXACT opposite views of those that are the REASON for your existence. (take if from someone who's actually been to the other side via a near death experience) Which you will find out when you pass away. Just even having a twinge of that attitude in your comment is discusting.

Old 04-23-2011, 03:49 PM

14,810 posts, read 16,226,230 times
I haven't read the 90+ posts that precede this one.....so the OP's question may have already been answered. Gays, themselves, are the ones who made the whole issue of homosexuality a political thing when they began their "gay rights" campaigns back in the 80's. Conservatives are not the ones who politicized gay issues. Gays began in the '80's setting themselves up as a "minority" that needed a "protected status". Thus began their campaigns to prohibit discrimination in housing and employment. We heard from them about the Boy Scouts prohibiting homosexual scout leaders Then we had "hate laws" and "hate speech" extended to protect them. Next came their demands for openness in military service and finally for marriage laws to be changed allowing them to legally marry. Now that DADT is going to be repealed and a real possibility that legal marriage will be extended to them, I wonder what the next demands will be?????

Don't anyone take any of this to be an anti-gay rant on my part. It isn't. I am simply recounting, as memory serves me, what has taken place over the past 3 decades and answering the OP's question about how homosexuality became a liberal political cause, not a conservative one.

Old 04-23-2011, 03:52 PM

1,615 posts, read 2,577,832 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cunucu Beach View Post
I haven't read the 90+ posts that precede this one.....so the OP's question may have already been answered. Gays, themselves, are the ones who made the whole issue of homosexuality a political thing when they began their "gay rights" campaigns back in the 80's. Conservatives are not the ones who politicized gay issues. Gays began in the '80's setting themselves up as a "minority" that needed a "protected status". Thus began their campaigns to prohibit discrimination in housing and employment. We heard from them about the Boy Scouts prohibiting homosexual scout leaders Then we had "hate laws" and "hate speech" extended to protect them. Next came their demands for openness in military service and finally for marriage laws to be changed allowing them to legally marry. Now that DADT is going to be repealed and a real possibility that legal marriage will be extended to them, I wonder what the next demands will be?????

Don't anyone take any of this to be an anti-gay rant on my part. It isn't. I am simply recounting, as memory serves me, what has taken place over the past 3 decades and answering the OP's question about how homosexuality became a liberal political cause, not a conservative one.
Ah, but in america, I shouldn't have to fight for ANY of those things. I should be guaranteed them instantly via birth as I"m a citizen. It's CONSERVATIVES who have fought to DENY me things that I should already have upon birth and it's THEM who use HATRED of me (i don't know why strangers hate me) to get people out to VOTE.

Old 04-23-2011, 04:11 PM

14,810 posts, read 16,226,230 times
Quote:
Ah, but in america, I shouldn't have to fight for ANY of those things. I should be guaranteed them instantly via birth as I"m a citizen. It's CONSERVATIVES who have fought to DENY me things that I should already have upon birth and it's THEM who use HATRED of me (i don't know why strangers hate me) to get people out to VOTE.
The title of this thread is:

Why do lots of conservatives believe homosexuality is a political thing?

I was answering your question--nothing more, nothing less. It was gays, themselves, who politicized the issue, not conservatives.

Being born an American, you are covered by the Bill of Rights, same as everyone else--gay or straight. Not going to get into anything else with you, since your mind is already made up that you are a victim of "prejudice against gays". Attitude is everything and if you think of yourself as a victim, you ARE a victim.

Old 04-23-2011, 07:32 PM

38,650 posts, read 26,430,952 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by momonkey View Post
That all sounds great until you try to use your logic to protect the rights of anyone else.

Are would be polygamists required to marry only one person?

By what objective standard do you alter the definition of marriage to include those who wish to marry their own sex but not those who wish to marry more than one person?

Who decided two was the correct number?

Why are they still correct when homosexual unions are included?

Why are they correct on the number but not gender(s)?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fiyero View Post
Slippery slope fallacy. By your reasoning, we should ban heterosexual marriage, since that leads to gay marriage, which will lead to polygamy, pedophilia, and beastility.

Not even going to attempt to answer?

Well, I'd be happy to explain the logic behind heterosexual marriage and how that same logic excludes homosexual marriage and polygamous marriage.

A penis is designed by nature to fit a vagina, and a vagina is designed by nature to fit a penis. Together they are used for the natural sexual relationships which lead to pregnancy. Once a man has impregnated a woman, he may wish to abandon her at some time before the child he has created reaches adulthood. Likewise, she may seek greener pastures to the detriment of the child she has created. Our society, like other successful societies, has found a legally defined exclusive sexual relationship involving one man and one woman is the best way to bring children into the world and assure they will be adequately cared for by their own biological parents until they reach adulthood.

Nature never designed the anus to be used for sex as no children will be conceived no matter how many times a homosexual couple goes at it. No gay friends, the only natural function the butt hole serves is that of taking a dump. Everything else done with the pooper, no matter how happy it makes you, is an unnatural function. Now, I don't begrudge you your fun. It's really none of my business, but what necessitates a clearly defined heterosexual union simply doesn't apply to homosexuals.

I know of no conservatives who object to civil unions with benefits for gay partners, but this has never been about benefits. This is about the word marriage. This is about blurring the line between normal and abnormal and redefining what is natural. To accomplish this gays and liberals generally must convince people that what they see with their own eyes is incorrect and what they understand intuitively is wrong. Ultimately, they hope to legislate the thought process by outlawing every day common sense.

Old 04-23-2011, 07:43 PM

32,833 posts, read 19,530,254 times
Quote:
Really? In my school part of the function for ME was being HARASSED by nearly LITERALLY EVERY SINGLE SCHOOL MATE for about 5 years. NOT ONLY in school but all around town, in church and out in public. I now have complex PTSD because of it. Part of me literally died, NEVER to come back. These years in school I spent many days contemplating suicide, finding ways to stay home from school to the point that my GPA suffered. Who can concentrate on DOING well, when you're only concerned with SURVIAL?

And by the way *********. I am not a deviate. I am an damn good person. You should be ashamed of yourself to speak to me that way. to me you're just spiritual scum. You have the EXACT opposite views of those that are the REASON for your existence. (take if from someone who's actually been to the other side via a near death experience) Which you will find out when you pass away. Just even having a twinge of that attitude in your comment is discusting.
Quote:
I now have complex PTSD because of it.
oh please,, you were harrassed...get over it

I've been though combat many times and still no PTSD

Old 04-23-2011, 08:38 PM

11,155 posts, read 15,723,735 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OhioIstheBest View Post

Being an educated individual, I'm sure you are aware that, because of verbal and physical abuse from other students, the suicide rate of homosexual teenagers (not sexual deviants) is significantly higher than the national average.

The deaths of children can be on your hands if you want. You'll have to answer to the Devil for that irreconcilable sin. I'd rather lean toward educating students (and uninformed adults) that God's creations are not to be marginalized and attacked. That is what our Lord and Savior, Jesus Christ, would do.

I will pray for your soul to be saved before it is too late, Ohio. I will pray. May God have mercy on you.

Old 04-23-2011, 09:08 PM

15,706 posts, read 11,795,019 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Darkatt View Post
Your statement is inaccurate. Marriage WAS a religious function and not one that the government had a hand in until recently in the United States.
In the United States, but marriage is not religious in nature historically. It didn't take on a religious nature until a few hundred years ago. It began as a business contract of sorts, and remained that way for most of human history.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies