Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-23-2011, 12:55 PM

38,689 posts, read 26,495,998 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluefly View Post
I would normally take this as satire, but I think you actually believe it. Wow.

Here's the facts: Gay people are trying to get to the point of having equal rights under the law. When one person is granted vast benefits for marrying and another person is banned from those benefits (or forced to marry someone he/she doesn't love and isn't attracted to just to receive said benefits) it is that individual whose liberties are being suppressed, not the person seeking to oppress that individual.

Might as well argue that women were undermining other people's Constitutional right to have a differing opinion just so they could vote or that blacks were doing the same just so they could not be slaves. Absurd logic.

That all sounds great until you try to use your logic to protect the rights of anyone else.

Are would be polygamists required to marry only one person?

By what objective standard do you alter the definition of marriage to include those who wish to marry their own sex but not those who wish to marry more than one person?

Who decided two was the correct number?

Why are they still correct when homosexual unions are included?

Why are they correct on the number but not gender(s)?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-23-2011, 01:02 PM

11,155 posts, read 15,747,011 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by momonkey View Post
So we should create a new legal union for a certain class of people who are not sexually excited by the opposite sex?

What of the person who isn't sexually excited by either gender?

Shall the rights of this person depend on their sexual preference which, in this case, is "none of the above"?

Should a person's rights depend on sexual preference or should they not?
A person's rights should not depend on sexual preference. Not everybody qualifies for every government program, but no person should be denied the right to benefits that they would otherwise qualify for based on a discriminatory factor related to race, gender, sexuality, or any other legally protected class.

You can spin it anyway you want, but it remains straight-forward.

Old 04-23-2011, 01:04 PM

11,155 posts, read 15,747,011 times
Quote:
That all sounds great until you try to use your logic to protect the rights of anyone else.

By what objective standard do you alter the definition of marriage to include those who wish to marry their own sex but not those who wish to marry more than one person?

Marriage is defined in many ways throughout the world. If some people wish polygamy, then it's not my place to interfere. Frankly, I don't know why government's in the marriage business at all.

Old 04-23-2011, 01:07 PM

15,706 posts, read 11,819,813 times
Quote:

Slippery slope fallacy. By your reasoning, we should ban heterosexual marriage, since that leads to gay marriage, which will lead to polygamy, pedophilia, and beastility.

Old 04-23-2011, 01:10 PM

77,770 posts, read 105,213,799 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rlarson21 View Post
I'm gay and have known as such basically my whole life as far back as I can remember. I get astounded when i here some conservatives talk about the 'gays' as though i'm one of the 'other'. I think it's weird because I'm just regular old me. The shy kid who liked to learn about history and liked to read etc. Yet they try to make me out to be a part of this 'other' that's separate. I think it's weird that to some people out there i'm 'one of them'. I think it's weird that strangers hate me enough to think that they get to vote on my rights while enjoying them and that they think it's constitutional to do so. (apparently conservatives aren't good at civics). I think it's weird how issues that surround 'me'. actually BRING people out to VOTE in a PASSIONATE ANGRY WAY.

I go to work, read, visit with friends and family. have a long term loving partner. What is it about 'me' that makes many conservatives so passionately angry?

How would you feel if strangers hated you for NO REASON?
I think you are confusing conservatives with ultra right wing religious conservatives. They are very different.

Nita

Old 04-23-2011, 01:25 PM

6,391 posts, read 5,183,674 times
Default Why do you not read what was posted?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fiyero View Post
Why does the term marriage automatically go with the religious side, when marriage has never historically been based on religion?
Your statement is inaccurate. Marriage WAS a religious function and not one that the government had a hand in until recently in the United States.

Old 04-23-2011, 01:50 PM

8,806 posts, read 6,141,526 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TempesT68 View Post
The hard right are anti-gay mainly from being bigots and secondly from being a "good christian" which means ignoring everything in the bible except to hate gays and be anti-abortion.
Seriously? It's so sad that people actually think these kinds of thoughts.

Old 04-23-2011, 02:54 PM

1,615 posts, read 2,581,864 times
Quote:
"What is it about 'me' that makes many conservatives so passionately angry?"

There is a big difference between hating someone and vigorously opposing a fundamentally ignorant person or group of people who fail to respect our individual liberties and the Constitution which assures them.

Conservatives love the Constitution and the freedoms (not permissions) it protects. We also love the Constitution because it makes us all equal before the law.

Liberals hate the Constitution because it protects the rights of all citizens equally making special rights for special classes of people difficult for liberals to force on the rest of us.

Gay activists have joined garden variety liberals in attacking our liberties and the Constitution which insures them because they would like special standing under the law.

To advance what gay activists have arbitrarily decided are their new rights, they attack everyone else's right to a different opinion.

Who said you're opinion is always correct such that you have the right to redefine marriage to suit your needs?

Where is the concern for those who have built their most important personal relationships around the definition of marriage and family?

If gays want acceptance and respect, maybe they should stop invading and disrupting church services since this violates other's Constitutionally guaranteed right to freely exercise their religion.

Perhaps they should stay out of schools and stop trying to propagandize our children behind our backs.

Maybe they should stop trying to force the rest of us to go along with something we believe to be unnatural and abnormal and working to overrule the expressed will of the voters with judicially derived legislation.
Who says you get to DEFINE marriage as only for YOUR ORIENTATION. (that's unconstitutional)

Children SHOULD be learning that it's OK to be gay. Being gay is NOT a choice. the GAY KIDS In SCHOOL will have a much healthier self esteem because of it. The fact that you think that you can 'turn' kids gay in school seems to show you know little about the facts behind the situation.

Old 04-23-2011, 02:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by andrea3821 View Post
Troll thread. Conservatives don't believe homosexuality is a political thing. YOU and YOUR KIND are who is making it into a political thing.

Btw, nobody hates you. Well, some people might, but they're stupid, so who cares what they think? And don't start in on the "you must hate us if you want to take away our rights, blah blah blah" b/c 1) that's not true and 2) the hyperbole has got to stop with the gay "rights" crap.

OF COURSE it's right. If you didnt' 'hate' someone you wouldn't try to legally harm them. DUH

Old 04-23-2011, 02:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AeroGuyDC View Post
Your obtusity is getting you nowhere. If you truly understood the post you were referring to, you'd throw out the juvenile responses and actually respond with a bit of clarity and understanding.

Here let me do it for you: The poster was asserting that gays could just as easily fight for common law marriage to achieve the same goals. Instead, they insist on nomenclature that makes them feel equal, when in reality all they need to do is fight to be able to be a bona fide "couple" for a certain number of years to get what they want...those big government benefits as you put it.....just as single hetero's do. Do you comprehend now? Or do you insist on the juvenile antics?
Tell you what.. why don't you give up your marriage rights... when you do that then we'll be glad to consider your point of view. AS it stands you can have this big 'opinion' with nothing to lose and think of me as 'the gays'.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies