Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-24-2011, 02:59 PM

8,806 posts, read 6,116,012 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fiyero View Post
It's a fairly accurate statement. Christian fundamentalists for the most part do behave that way.
And with that, I will give an to you as well.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-24-2011, 03:00 PM

15,706 posts, read 11,782,559 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by andrea3821 View Post
And with that, I will give an to you as well.
I know the truth hurts Andrea. No need to get sour

Old 04-24-2011, 03:01 PM

Quote:
Generally, most pushes for social change come from the liberal side. Women's rights, black rights, gay rights, abortion rights, etc. Probably because liberals are progressive, whereas conservatives by nature of their views, try to maintain tradition and the status quo.
And that makes the liberals right?

Funny, you are now saying what we conservatives have been saying this whole time...it is not we who have politicized the gay issue, it is liberals.

Old 04-24-2011, 03:09 PM

3,522 posts, read 6,106,883 times
Quote:
And that makes the liberals right?

Funny, you are now saying what we conservatives have been saying this whole time...it is not we who have politicized the gay issue, it is liberals.
I sure beg to differ with you , look thru the books of history and the campaigns of the conservatives. too many to name -yes they have politicized the gay issue.

I am a straight male

Old 04-24-2011, 03:15 PM

14,810 posts, read 16,214,198 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sunnyandcloudydays View Post
I sure beg to differ with you , look thru the books of history and the campaigns of the conservatives. too many to name -yes they have politicized the gay issue.

I am a straight male
Read up on the history of the gay movement. It wasn't conservatives who turned the "gay rights" issue into a political free-for-all. Conservatives were reacting to the actions of the gays and their supporters as they began demanding special protections for gays.

Old 04-24-2011, 03:28 PM

3,451 posts, read 7,057,694 times
Quote:
One has nothing to do with the other. Trust me when I say most people don't give a crap what you do, especially in your bedroom. We just don't think gays should be allowed to marry one another, it has absolutely nothing to do with hatred. To believe so is indicative of your own hatred toward heterosexuals.
I don't care what it is called, gay marriage, civil partnership, same-sex marriage...I don't care...but it is coming, and you will have no say in the matter.

I don't care what you think should be allowed, or not allowed, your views on the subject are tyrannical.

Old 04-24-2011, 03:41 PM

14,810 posts, read 16,214,198 times
I'm much more tolerant to the whole idea of gays getting married than I was at one time. I'm thinking it's about time that gays found out that, if they follow the current trend, as often as not they will regret getting married and end up in court fighting over property, alimony, visitation rights, child custody and shelling out a lot of money to divorce lawyers. What's fair is fair. Why should only opposite-sex couples have all that aggravation?

Old 04-24-2011, 03:48 PM

3,849 posts, read 3,754,589 times
Quote:
Stop with the hysterics. Are you not an adult? Control yourself.

I'm sorry for what you went through but it's not just gays who go through this. You don't think many kids contemplate suicide (either seriously or for attention) during their teenage years? Being a teenager is tough. People are "harassed" for a variety of reasons, being gay is just one on the list of many. You are not special b/c of this. Your parents should have helped you cope, your school system should have put a stop to the bullying, and you should have received counseling b/c of it all (and if you didn't receive it then or in the years since, get thee to a therapist ASAP). However, ultimately, YOU are the only one responsible for your behavior and to an extent, your feelings. Self-control is the name of the game. And you can get self-confidence from ANYTHING, not just from having your sexuality recognized publicly (who wants that, anyway? It's nobody else's business, you should consider not making it so and you might avoid some problems).

Now I understand where all your hatred is coming from. That being said, you need to get a grip and stop trying to turn the tables on people who simply do not want gays to be able to marry. Your own hatred is blinding you to reality.
Okay, you know I don't usually bother with your posts, but I really have to ask this - can you give a valid reason for why you wish to deny marriage to same sex couples? A valid reason would explain what harm allowing it would cause to the state or to individual people and would have nothing to do with anyone's religious beliefs. I only ask because, in more than a decade in this kind of discussion, no one has yet given a reasonable, valid reason.

Old 04-24-2011, 04:03 PM

14,917 posts, read 13,109,537 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MsMcQ LV View Post
Okay, you know I don't usually bother with your posts, but I really have to ask this - can you give a valid reason for why you wish to deny marriage to same sex couples? A valid reason would explain what harm allowing it would cause to the state or to individual people and would have nothing to do with anyone's religious beliefs. I only ask because, in more than a decade in this kind of discussion, no one has yet given a reasonable, valid reason.
She has a very simple reason. She's a Christian theocrat who wants her conservative, religious values forced on the rest of us as the Laws of the United States.

She feels that people who do not share her values and way of living are inferior people who should be repressed and subjugated through the denial of equal civil rights.

Old 04-24-2011, 04:39 PM

Quote:
I know the truth hurts Andrea. No need to get sour
What truth are you referring to?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies