Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-26-2011, 11:29 AM

32,816 posts, read 19,500,230 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by hammertime33 View Post
So you're telling me that the government will recognize a marriage contract between me and my husband as legally valid?

That's news to me. I thought anti-gay bigots had been passing laws over the last 15 years specifically banning government from recognizing marriage contracts between homosexuals. Isn't that what court cases challenging the constitutionally of Prop 8, DOMA, Iowa's gay marriage ban, etc, etc, etc, are about?
why do you need the 'government' to tell you who you love, or recognize that???

the FACT is a contract is a LEGAL contract..and if you LEGALLY CONTRACT that another person has RIGHTS OVER YOU (ie power of attorney), then that is a legal BINDING contract

the problem is yall want to have the so-called BENEFITS (ie GREED) of marriage

why should you and your 'partner' get a tax break just because you are together....are you not still two INDIVIDUALS?????? or has the partner DOMINATED you that you two are now THOUGHT of as one entity?????

eliminate all marrigaes and unions...problem solved
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-26-2011, 11:36 AM

15,706 posts, read 11,782,559 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Calvinist View Post
Prove there is no God and the Bible is made up please. You made the assertion.
One can't prove a negative. The burden of proof is always on the one making the positive claim.

Old 04-26-2011, 11:37 AM

14,917 posts, read 13,109,537 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by workingclasshero View Post
why do you need the 'government' to tell you who you love, or recognize that???

the FACT is a contract is a LEGAL contract..and if you LEGALLY CONTRACT that another person has RIGHTS OVER YOU (ie power of attorney), then that is a legal BINDING contract

the problem is yall want to have the so-called BENEFITS (ie GREED) of marriage

why should you and your 'partner' get a tax break just because you are together....are you not still two INDIVIDUALS?????? or has the partner DOMINATED you that you two are now THOUGHT of as one entity?????

eliminate all marrigaes and unions...problem solved
I don't need the government to tell me whom I love. I simply want equal treatment under the law - you know, just something our Constitution requires.

If the government is going to provide certain civil rights to those in marriage contracts, then I want access to them.

As to doing away with civil marriage altogether, while I wouldn't be entirely opposed to it, I think there are some good and valuable things that civil marriage law provides. I think we should provide American citizens who fall in love and marry foreigners the right to bring their spouse to the US so they can live together and make a home. I think it's a good thing that we allow the spouses of American military members to shop at base commissaries.

I also don't think it's fair (or constitutional) to make those rights available to heterosexuals while banning homosexuals from them.

Old 04-26-2011, 11:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 12GO View Post
You clearly do not want to accept what God said about the gay acts/lifestyle if thats the best answer you can come up with. Doesn't matter what I think, only what God said about the gays. The good news is that after Jesus, if someone is in that lifestyle and truely ask forgiveness and help to get out of it, God will.
And you clearly don't give a darn what God actually said, you only twist scripture to make sure it justifies your prejudice.

Old 04-26-2011, 11:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 12GO View Post
Does that mean your Bible doesn't have Leviticus 20:13 in it? Seems fairly clear to me that God doesn't tolerate that lifestyle.
Do you even know the meaning of Leviticus 20:13? Have you studied it in Classic Hebrew, as well as contextually and culturally?

Old 04-26-2011, 11:45 AM

6,484 posts, read 6,620,504 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fiyero View Post
One can't prove a negative. The burden of proof is always on the one making the positive claim.
He made the statement. I challenged him to prove it.

Quote:
Do you even know the meaning of Leviticus 20:13? Have you studied it in Classic Hebrew, as well as contextually and culturally?
The passage is pretty clear to anyone that isn't trying to justify themselves with an alternate lifestyle.

Old 04-26-2011, 11:46 AM

1,811 posts, read 1,211,169 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rlarson21 View Post
I'm gay and have known as such basically my whole life as far back as I can remember. I get astounded when i here some conservatives talk about the 'gays' as though i'm one of the 'other'. I think it's weird because I'm just regular old me. The shy kid who liked to learn about history and liked to read etc. Yet they try to make me out to be a part of this 'other' that's separate. I think it's weird that to some people out there i'm 'one of them'. I think it's weird that strangers hate me enough to think that they get to vote on my rights while enjoying them and that they think it's constitutional to do so. (apparently conservatives aren't good at civics). I think it's weird how issues that surround 'me'. actually BRING people out to VOTE in a PASSIONATE ANGRY WAY.

I go to work, read, visit with friends and family. have a long term loving partner. What is it about 'me' that makes many conservatives so passionately angry?

How would you feel if strangers hated you for NO REASON?
The left has polilticized the issue, not conservatives.

Nobody hates you. OTOH, we don't want homosexuality elevated to the lofty heights the left wants to make out of it. Nobody cares about your sexual proclivites and we aren't interested in hearing about it, or telling you about ours. Keep it to yourself where it belongs.

Old 04-26-2011, 11:47 AM

Quote:

The passage is pretty clear to anyone that isn't trying to justify themselves with an alternate lifestyle.
No, actually it isn't. It has a completely different meaning in Hebrew than it does in English. You just know nothing about the Bible.

Old 04-26-2011, 11:48 AM

6,484 posts, read 6,620,504 times
Quote:
No, actually it isn't. It has a completely different meaning in Hebrew than it does in English. You just know nothing about the Bible.
I know enough. I know that all major translations agree on what that verse says.

I know that's not the only passage in the Bible defining marriage and human sexuality.

The word translated "lie down" is the same word used in Genesis 19:32, and Genesis 19:4. It would certainly appear clear what was being said.

Last edited by Calvinist; 04-26-2011 at 11:58 AM..

Old 04-26-2011, 12:14 PM

Quote:
I know enough. I know that all major translations agree on what that verse says.
Which only shows that conservative publishers like to hold to tradition to keep Bible sales flowing. Doesn't prove their translations are accurate. There are plenty of differences between translations.

Quote:
I know that's not the only passage in the Bible defining marriage and human sexuality.
There are no more than 7 out of 37,000+ verses. And all of them relate to prostitution or pederasty.

Quote:
The word translated "lie down" is the same word used in Genesis 19:32, and Genesis 19:4. It would certainly appear clear what was being said.
Shakab is always used in the Bible when discussing sex, to refer to some situation involving non-consensual or deceptive sexual action. For example Gen 19:32 is talking about Lot's daughters getting him drunk and raping him, so they can have his babies.

Hebrew has numerous words that can mean sex and they have different meanings depending on use and context.

The English makes no distinction between the different Hebrew words.

On another point - if Leviticus prohibits every type of same-sex activity, why does it add the clause "as with a woman"? (in Hebrew, it literally means in beds of a woman).

Why doesn't it just say "thou shalt not have consensual sex with a man"?

A literal reading of that verse doesn't say a man can't sleep with a man, it merely says he can't do it in a woman's bed.

When we look at the full Hebrew, including the 2 different words meaning to lie, it literally means "A man shall not force or deceive another man to have sex, in beds of a woman. It is taboo."

And considering that verse is in the middle of 2 chapters devoted exclusively to pagan practices, including sacrificing to Molech and worshipping Caananite fertility goddesses, it's clearly referring to pagan sex rituals. Especially when we compare it to Deuteronomy, which reiterates most of Leviticus, and in Deut 23:17, warns the Israelites against becoming prostitutes.

If you think anything in Levticus is relevant to 21st Century Western society, you really need your head examined.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies