Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-26-2011, 01:23 PM

32,816 posts, read 19,500,230 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by hooligan View Post
Because a different group of citizens can. Period. To prevent one group of citizens from accessing rights/protections/benefits that are accessible to another group of citizens violates the equal protection clause.

I've asked Calvinist this multiple times and he hasn't answered, maybe you will. Can you name one other contract that two people would be denied based solely on the gender of the parties involved?
I'll answer...since you say no-one else will.....the answer is ..no I cant...and that is the very reason why government shouldnt be in the business of marrigaes/unions or be giving benefits to those who are

but the government(state) shouldnt be GRANTING (ie permission through licenses) or restricting them

get a LAWYER and draw up a LEGAL contract

abolish all marriages....with LEGAL CONTRACTS, no messy divorses..all STIPULATED PRIOR...ie like a PRE-NUP
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-26-2011, 01:25 PM

14,810 posts, read 16,214,198 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MsMcQ LV View Post
I'm sure most of the glbt community would do that if there weren't so many others running around trying to make sure they don't have equal access to things like marriage, job protection, housing protections and simply being allowed to live. Get rid of DOMA, DADT, discriminatory housing, employment and service laws and you'd likely never hear another word from them.
To my knowledge, there are absolutely NO discriminatory laws on the books restricting housing or employment, which were the first to fall when the "gay rights" movement was still young. The only thing left to fall is DADT and legal marriage in all 50 states. After that, I'd bet the farm that something else will have made its way to the top of the list. Once attained, people don't give up power very easily, as we are seeing in Libya, Syria, etc. so I cannot imagine the GLBT activists just riding off into the sunset saying "mission accomplished".

Old 04-26-2011, 01:29 PM

Quote:
So, we should disallow consenting adults with polydactyly the option to marry, as well?
the real question would be ...WHY WOULD YOU WANT an outdated, obsolete, antiquated thing like GETTING PERMISSION FOR A GOVERNMENT/religion to be with the one that you currently are attracted to??????

time to get with the 21st century...abolish marriages, and unions

Old 04-26-2011, 01:36 PM

28,353 posts, read 16,395,288 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by workingclasshero View Post
I'll answer...since you say no-one else will.....the answer is ..no I cant...and that is the very reason why government shouldnt be in the business of marrigaes/unions or be giving benefits to those who are

but the government(state) shouldnt be GRANTING (ie permission through licenses) or restricting them

get a LAWYER and draw up a LEGAL contract

abolish all marriages....with LEGAL CONTRACTS, no messy divorses..all STIPULATED PRIOR...ie like a PRE-NUP

Thanks. I can't think of any, either.

However, a legal marriage is nothing more than a legal contract. So, to that end, part of what you're after is already in place.

I agree, in principle, with the idea of getting the Gov out of marriage. However, if the Gov had never stepped in, would interracial marriage be allowed today? Maybe, maybe not. It certainly would not have been allowed in the late 60's and early 70's in many states.

Old 04-26-2011, 01:38 PM

Quote:
the real question would be ...WHY WOULD YOU WANT an outdated, obsolete, antiquated thing like GETTING PERMISSION FOR A GOVERNMENT/religion to be with the one that you currently are attracted to??????

time to get with the 21st century...abolish marriages, and unions

Why would I want to legally be married? For access to the 1400+ rights, privileges and protections that being married offers.

Old 04-26-2011, 01:41 PM

Quote:
Why would I want to legally be married? For access to the 1400+ privileges and protections that being married offers.
THANK you for being honest....its about GREED

btw 1400 priviges not offered to single people

Old 04-26-2011, 02:07 PM

14,917 posts, read 13,109,537 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cunucu Beach View Post
To my knowledge, there are absolutely NO discriminatory laws on the books restricting housing or employment, which were the first to fall when the "gay rights" movement was still young. The only thing left to fall is DADT and legal marriage in all 50 states. After that, I'd bet the farm that something else will have made its way to the top of the list. Once attained, people don't give up power very easily, as we are seeing in Libya, Syria, etc. so I cannot imagine the GLBT activists just riding off into the sunset saying "mission accomplished".
Anti-discrimination laws (such as denial of service laws) are a different beast than civil marriage law. Our country has made it illegal for businesses that accommodate the public (restaurants, laundry mats, etc) to discriminate by denying service to people simply because of some characteristic. Most of these characteristics are inherent aspects of the person - race, sex, nationality - and even one characteristic that is a choice - religion. Similar laws prevent discrimination based on these same characteristics when it comes to employment and to businesses that provide housing.

Homosexuals have been and still are subject to discrimination in these areas. Considering the discrimination they face and the fact that sexuality is an inherent aspect of a person, gay activists did and still do advocate that the same anti-discrimination protection be extended to sexual orientation. You claim gay activists won this battle early on. That's partially true - many places have added sexual orientation to non-discrimination laws. However, many have not. Sexual orientation is not covered in any federal level non-discrimination law and at least area wise, most places in the US do not offer such anti-discrimination based on sexual orientation.

I notice you post a lot in the Nebraska forum. In Nebraska, there is no protection against discrimination based on sexual orientation in the law. Any dry-cleaner or grocery store or bank in Nebraska can refuse service to a homosexual simply because he or she is gay. Any employer can fire an employee they discover is homosexual simply because he or she is gay.

The same with housing. Lets say I move to Omaha and want to rent an apartment. I've toured it and as I'm sitting at the landlord's desk about to sign my lease I mention that my boyfriend will love coming to visit because it's close to his work. The landlord could grab the lease and say "Get out. I'm Christian and disagree with homosexuality, so I don't rent to homosexuals" - that would be perfectly legal.

Now lets say I move to Omaha and buy an apartment building. I show an apartment to a prospective tenant, and as he's about to sign he mentions how great the place is because it's near his church. I could not grab the lease and say "Get out. I'm gay and disagree with Christianity, so I don't rent to Christians" - that would be illegal.

Here's an article about how last year Omaha decided to continue to allow such discrimination to be legal:

Council rejects ordinance on gays - Omaha.com

Last edited by hammertime33; 04-26-2011 at 02:18 PM..

Old 04-26-2011, 02:13 PM

14,810 posts, read 16,214,198 times
Quote:

Singles of the world unite!! Just because we don't have live-ins why should we be excluded from all those bennies, too??

Old 04-26-2011, 02:24 PM

3,849 posts, read 3,754,589 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cunucu Beach View Post
Actually, there are still states in this country where it's perfectly legal to not rent to or evict someone based on nothing more than their sexual orientation. There are still states where it's perfectly legal to not hire or to fire someone based solely on their sexual orientation. There are still states where it's perfectly legal to not serve someone in your restaurant or store based on nothing more than the fact that the potential customer is gay or lesbian. And yeah, there might be a few gays that would be "on the lookout" for reasons to gripe, but the greater majority of them would happily fade into the woodwork.

Old 04-26-2011, 02:31 PM

Quote:

Not all of those benefits and protections have to do with money, however.

Honestly, when I decided to get married the benefits/rights/protections weren't really a consideration. Heck, we have taxes withheld at the single/zero rate for each of us, anyway.

Are you married? If so, why did you choose to get legally married and not simply have a church service only?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies