Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-26-2011, 10:36 AM

6,484 posts, read 6,620,504 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by hammertime33 View Post
The position that God exists is indefensible (and by design - it's set up to be supernatural and irrational - grounded in blind faith outside of argument and rational though).
Prove there is no God and the Bible is made up please. You made the assertion.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-26-2011, 10:37 AM

28,353 posts, read 16,395,288 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AeroGuyDC View Post
Your obtusity is getting you nowhere. If you truly understood the post you were referring to, you'd throw out the juvenile responses and actually respond with a bit of clarity and understanding.

Here let me do it for you: The poster was asserting that gays could just as easily fight for common law marriage to achieve the same goals. Instead, they insist on nomenclature that makes them feel equal, when in reality all they need to do is fight to be able to be a bona fide "couple" for a certain number of years to get what they want...those big government benefits as you put it.....just as single hetero's do. Do you comprehend now? Or do you insist on the juvenile antics?

Pretty sure that all of the states that disallow same-sex marriages also disallow common law same-sex marriages, however. Most even disallow same-sex civil unions.

Nice try, though.

Old 04-26-2011, 10:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hooligan View Post
Pretty sure that all of the states that disallow same-sex marriages also disallow common law same-sex marriages, however. Most even disallow same-sex civil unions.

Nice try, though.
If marriage is just a contract...why do you even care? Why not just get a lawyer and draw up a contract?

Still waiting for you to back up your assertion that God and the Bible are fictional, as well. Let me know when you have an argument.

Old 04-26-2011, 10:50 AM

14,917 posts, read 13,109,537 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Calvinist View Post
Prove there is no God and the Bible is made up please. You made the assertion.
Hahahahaha. And you say I don't have any sense.

If you set up something irrationally faith-based - outside of reason and argument - then it can never be disproved. That's the beauty (or horror) of it.

The truth of any faith-based belief system or the existence of any supernatural deity can never be shown. Likewise, the falseness of any faith-based belief system or the non-existence of any supernatural deity can never be shown. That's why I find such believe to be utterly ridiculous and a massive waste of time, energy, and intelligence.

Old 04-26-2011, 10:52 AM

Quote:
If marriage is just a contract...why do you even care? Why not just get a lawyer and draw up a contract?

I wish I could. However, laws such a DOMA and Prop 8 make it illegal for homosexuals to do so with each other. That special right is (unconstitutionally) reserved for heterosexuals.

Old 04-26-2011, 10:53 AM

Quote:
Hahahahaha. And you say I don't have any sense.

If you set up something irrationally faith-based - outside of reason and argument - then it can never be disproved. That's the beauty (or horror) of it.
So you disapprove of the theory of evolution? It's not proven. We have circumstantial evidence that could point to the existence of a common creator.

But that's beside the point.
Quote:
The truth of any faith-based belief system or the existence of any supernatural deity can never be shown. Likewise, the falseness of any faith-based belief system or the non-existence of any supernatural deity can never be shown. That's why I find such believe to be utterly ridiculous and a massive waste of time, energy, and intelligence.
So you're willing to recant your statement about it being fictional? Or are you going to continue to be illogical?

Quote:
I wish I could. However, laws such a DOMA and Prop 8 make it illegal for homosexuals to do so with each other. That special right is (unconstitutionally) reserved for heterosexuals.

I'm sorry...there are no laws against a contract.

Old 04-26-2011, 10:58 AM

13,651 posts, read 20,788,575 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rlarson21 View Post
I'm gay and have known as such basically my whole life as far back as I can remember. I get astounded when i here some conservatives talk about the 'gays' as though i'm one of the 'other'. I think it's weird because I'm just regular old me. The shy kid who liked to learn about history and liked to read etc. Yet they try to make me out to be a part of this 'other' that's separate. I think it's weird that to some people out there i'm 'one of them'. I think it's weird that strangers hate me enough to think that they get to vote on my rights while enjoying them and that they think it's constitutional to do so. (apparently conservatives aren't good at civics). I think it's weird how issues that surround 'me'. actually BRING people out to VOTE in a PASSIONATE ANGRY WAY.

I go to work, read, visit with friends and family. have a long term loving partner. What is it about 'me' that makes many conservatives so passionately angry?

How would you feel if strangers hated you for NO REASON?
You have my sympathies.

I tilt right but I have no problem with gay people. Not my thing, but its also none of my business. I have no problem with gay marriage, with some qualifications.

Old 04-26-2011, 11:07 AM

32,816 posts, read 19,500,230 times
Quote:
You're talking about your irrational fear, hatred, and bigotry, right? Although I would argue that is your lifestyle and a choice you made.
no..no hatred, no bigotry

I just admit the truth... homosexual is a birth defect... a neurological disorder...a disbaility

just like my sons aspergers

sorry you cant admit the truth

the truth will set you free

Old 04-26-2011, 11:15 AM

Quote:

I'm sorry...there are no laws against a contract.
So you're telling me that the government will recognize a marriage contract between me and my husband as legally valid?

That's news to me. I thought anti-gay bigots had been passing laws over the last 15 years specifically banning government from recognizing marriage contracts between homosexuals. Isn't that what court cases challenging the constitutionally of Prop 8, DOMA, Iowa's gay marriage ban, etc, etc, etc, are about?

Old 04-26-2011, 11:17 AM

Quote:
So you're telling me that the government will recognize a marriage contract between me and my husband as legally valid?
Marriage? No. If you want to leave your boyfriend your belongings, draw up a contract. You want him to visit you in the hospital? Get a contract drawn up.

Stop trying to force your view of marriage on the rest of us. That's kind of bigoted.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies