Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Celebrating Memorial Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: should bin laden's death picture be published
yes, it should 96 67.61%
no, it should not 37 26.06%
i am not sure 9 6.34%
Voters: 142. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-04-2011, 02:36 AM

15,700 posts, read 17,100,037 times

Advertisements

Personally, I would like to see the pictures, however, why would you want to poke a hornet's nest with a stick?

Best not to release the photos.

It will be one less bad thing they can say about Americans to rally their sympathizers.

Show them all that we are an honorable country and won't be dragged down to their level.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-04-2011, 02:59 AM

12,867 posts, read 14,948,933 times
i don't know whose fault this is, but the whole thing has been handled badly.

they keep making odd announcements -
1) got the body, doing the DNA, bringing it home.
2) buried at sea because nobody else wanted him
3) buried at sea because it was a muslim custom
4) buried at sea because they didn't want to make him a matyr

were the others buried at sea also?

if any of this is true, why on god's green earth would you say that the man was unarmed when he was shot? why would you confirm that he wasn't using a woman as a shield? how would that not help "martyrize" him to those who see him as the "good guy"? isn't that more inflammatory rhetoric?

it also takes something away from the heroics of the operation.

i can't wait for the next press release.

Old 05-04-2011, 03:09 AM

9,155 posts, read 5,831,387 times
Put the video on pay-per-view.

Old 05-04-2011, 03:16 AM

9,879 posts, read 8,039,740 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Speleothem View Post
Put the video on pay-per-view.
You've been listening to Savage. Charge 39.95
the deficit will go away

Seriously, if Obama took the time to interrupt
TV programming on a Sunday evening, also have the evidence to back up what you said. Really that
simple. If anyone is offended by pictures of one
dead person; can we imagine how offended we
were, to see thousands of our citizens dying in
a building, in New York. Kind of a no brainer -
release what you got. Period.

Old 05-04-2011, 03:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Annie53 View Post
Show them all that we are an honorable country and won't be dragged down to their level.
Actually, that should have happened in 2001

Old 05-04-2011, 03:26 AM

from a capitalistic point of view, pay per view would be a good idea. those who didn't want to see it wouldn't have to see it and children could be protected from watching it.

pollyrobin, that is a very good point. americans had to watch their fellow americans forced to jump out of burning buildings to their death, and then watch the heroic rescuers get murdered.

i still wouldn't want to see more americans killed overseas, though.

it is a complex issue, made more complex by bad handling and odd timing. if everybody was home, i would 100% say show the pictures AND the video.

Old 05-04-2011, 03:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by floridasandy View Post
from a capitalistic point of view, pay per view would be a good idea. those who didn't want to see it wouldn't have to see it and children could be protected from watching it.

pollyrobin, that is a very good point. americans had to watch their fellow americans forced to jump out of burning buildings to their death, and then watch the heroic rescuers get murdered.

i still wouldn't want to see more americans killed overseas, though.

it is a complex issue, made more complex by bad handling and odd timing. if everybody was home, i would 100% say show the pictures AND the video.
I think 9/11 was a one time/fluke of an event.
They are not the threat we are now pretending
they are. Bring our guys home. End the insanity.
And for all sake - quit using it as an excuse to
continue war.

Old 05-04-2011, 03:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pollyrobin View Post
I think 9/11 was a one time/fluke of an event.
They are not the threat we are now pretending
they are. Bring our guys home. End the insanity.
And for all sake - quit using it as an excuse to
continue war.
i don't know whether they will use this event to bring the troops home in a "mission accomplished" moment or escalate. if there are no reprisals, i hardly imagine that they could escalate but i have to wonder about the incendiary language about shooting an unarmed man.

perhaps the focus is to shift the aggression towards pakistan, but it certainly isn't clear at this point. i think somebody better wake up and realize that america needs attention soon. (i posted a thread on food stamps to get an idea of how things are going here....)

we don't have unlimited resources where we can spend it here AND there, and everything will magically stay the same.

my guess is that americans will pick here over there.

Old 05-04-2011, 05:50 AM

my guess is that they are going to keep quiet until they get their act together.

Other changes to the story include the “used his wife as a human shield” claim, which was first revised to a claim that he used some other, random woman as a human shield and eventually dropped in favor of the claim that the random, unarmed woman attacked the troops upon entering the room. It remains to be seen if other major changes will be forthcoming. (jason ditz)

i mean if they all saw the whole freaking thing in a boardroom in actual time AS IT HAPPENED, they would have a statement that they could stick to from the beginning, and would have stuck to it.

Old 05-04-2011, 06:02 AM

5,696 posts, read 6,221,996 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by floridasandy View Post
the moderator might want to add this on the back of brazilian's post, with the poll.

the question isn't as easy as it looks. i have given it some thought and, (surprisingly) on reflection, i don't think it is a good idea.

personally, i would like to know what happened and if, in fact, it was bin laden who was killed in the raid. to be honest, i am not sure that i would even believe a picture at this point unless it was really clear. on a personal level, then, i would really like to see that picture. (especially since the dead woman wasn't his wife)

in the interest of protecting our troops who are still there, i think that some of us who doubt should just suck it up and wait until the war is over to see the picture. i am not sure that it is worth inflaming any nut out there, or endangering any of our troops who are over there.

maybe somebody else has a different take on it, and i certainly see both sides of this.

some might consider the release a good warning to not behave the way that bin laden did.

personally I do not care to see this guy's face dead or alive
I have no need to view this, I know he is dead and that is enough for me
it is like seeing a car wreck, why do people want to??
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies