Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-05-2011, 07:19 PM

2,793 posts, read 6,124,725 times

Advertisements

Keep voting Democrat, America! This is what you get!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-05-2011, 07:20 PM

19,893 posts, read 18,450,261 times
Nope! Don't think so.

Old 05-05-2011, 07:21 PM

20,948 posts, read 19,057,820 times
of course he does.

Old 05-05-2011, 07:42 PM

6,993 posts, read 6,340,548 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lifelongMOgal View Post
The ultimate big brother tax, limiting individual's free travel within the USA via taxation. Yet another layer of government bureaucracy with a new agency created: Surface Transportation Revenue Alternatives Office. How are you going to like having a government required device in your vehicle tracking your travel/miles driven, to be taxed?

Obama floats plan to tax cars by the mile - The Hill's Floor Action
From your linked article:
Quote:
This is not an administration proposal," White House spokeswoman Jennifer Psaki said. "This is not a bill supported by the administration. This was an early working draft proposal that was never formally circulated within the administration, does not taken into account the advice of the president’s senior advisers, economic team or Cabinet officials, and does not represent the views of the president.”
I'd say your thread is mistitled, to say the least.

Old 05-05-2011, 07:47 PM

10,908 posts, read 9,558,564 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EinsteinsGhost View Post
What the heck are you babbling about? Where did "electricity" come into play from?

Irresponsible citizens, I couldn't care less about. I'm for a sales tax like gasoline tax.

It doesn't matter. You're charged a tax by the mile (or a fraction of) in addition to you paying gasoline taxes when driving on such toll roads. This is a fact. You can't be that stupid to stand up and argue against that.

Why do you think you would be forced to drive more with tax by mile? It is up to you to drive more, or less, just like it is whether you choose to drive on a toll road or not.

I wouldn't ask for making me an exception. Energy and resources are a national issue, and Americans must grow up to accept the realities. I simply happen to be more willing than you to participate in the cause.
Funny how things don't matter to you, as long as you are not effected. Running for democratic office, are you?

Old 05-05-2011, 07:50 PM

Quote:
The only intended purpose should be a proper energy policy, not just building and maintaining crap, for more of the same. Unless, the policy is being created by schills of the oil industry who would prefer that people continue to rely on more and more of it. We can always engage with military offense in countries for more oil in the future, anyway.
Your entire argument fails when you use the word "should". That word indicates something according to you. You have no power to enforce "should" (thankfully) and I truly doubt that you or your political favorites will ever have the power to push this suggestion through.

Old 05-05-2011, 07:56 PM

Quote:
I buy gasoline to mow the lawn. Should the tax I just paid be used only to take care of my lawn?
Ever hear of a hand mower?

Old 05-05-2011, 08:00 PM

13,005 posts, read 18,914,446 times
Since nearly half the cost of maintaining the roads comes from the gas tax that has long been considered a fair tax. Heavier vehicles that wear out the roads more guzzle more tax per mile. Unfotunately electric vehicles do not pay it. Presently just a few vehicles, but likely to increase as technology improves and gasoline becomes more expensive. The gasoline tax is an obsolete method of funding roads.

Old 05-05-2011, 08:53 PM

7,032 posts, read 14,487,222 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pvande55 View Post
Since nearly half the cost of maintaining the roads comes from the gas tax that has long been considered a fair tax. Heavier vehicles that wear out the roads more guzzle more tax per mile. Unfotunately electric vehicles do not pay it. Presently just a few vehicles, but likely to increase as technology improves and gasoline becomes more expensive. The gasoline tax is an obsolete method of funding roads.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ragnarkar View Post
Because less efficient vehicles pollute more and put a greater strain on the roads, they need to pay their fair share of the tax. It's no what's intended but the current system of taxing gas by the gallon accomplishes this. No need to switch to per mile taxation.
Then keep gas tax for gas vehicles and use mileage tax for electric vehi... oh wait, don't electric vehicles get tax breaks anyways?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies