Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-05-2011, 10:07 AM

41,813 posts, read 51,045,587 times

Advertisements

With electric cars and hybrids becoming more popular they need a tax like this because they are not paying their fair share to maintain the roads, doing it through GPS is out of the question though.

The fairest solution is a tax based on a formula where the average weight of the vehicle and the miles driven is used to calculate the tax. Most states require a yearly inspection, it could be implemented as part of the inspection.

As far as toll roads go they are a PITA if you need to manually pay and with the automatic tolls it's really no different than GPS tracking so I don't see that as an alternative either.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-05-2011, 10:07 AM

39,868 posts, read 26,503,175 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by texdav View Post
Look closer at where the state and local moneis come fro to fund these paths.often its matchig grants and CDBG grants.
RTP funds, often used for funding bike paths, are also federal. In addition, bike paths along highways, done as part of many new highways, are also paid by federal funds.

Old 05-05-2011, 10:08 AM

5,864 posts, read 4,979,129 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lifelongMOgal View Post
The ultimate big brother tax, limiting individual's free travel within the USA via taxation. Yet another layer of government bureaucracy with a new agency created: Surface Transportation Revenue Alternatives Office. How are you going to like having a government required device in your vehicle tracking your travel/miles driven, to be taxed?

Obama floats plan to tax cars by the mile - The Hill's Floor Action

Old 05-05-2011, 10:13 AM

31,767 posts, read 28,815,462 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ringwise View Post
I'm not the one with the comprehension problem, sir.
It is hard to see that from your posts. Anyway...

Quote:
The choice to drive on a toll road is not between more or less. It is equal, but different paths. One costs money, the other does not.
Okay, more gibberish, incoherence. In simple words: one can choose to drive on toll roads. One can choose to drive less (or more). Case closed.

Quote:
The option you're championing has both choices costing money. No option to avoid the tax, unless you drive less. Which, if you must drive, is not really a choice, now, is it.

The obvious goal here is to control behavior.
Considering your ability to comprehend, I DID say that behavioral control is a part of it. The problem is, you only got (and will stick to) only one half of it. The least I can try is to give you another example. The water reservoirs your city gets water from is running low in the middle of summer. Water use restriction is enforced. Behavioral control? You bet.

Old 05-05-2011, 10:24 AM

9,598 posts, read 16,565,019 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank DeForrest View Post
Thats easy. Stop funding other things with the existing tax.
Or use funds for what they are supposed to be spent. For example, the feds gave Texas a lot of money for education. Perry chose to spend it on other things.

Old 05-05-2011, 10:38 AM

44,882 posts, read 33,264,475 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tofurkey View Post
We were warned by the Beatles...

The Taxman

if you drive a car - I’ll tax the street;
if you try to sit - I’ll tax your seat;
if you get too cold - I’ll tax the heat;
if you take a walk - I'll tax your feet.

Taxman!
Just think. That was nearly 50 years ago. Somebody had a crystal ball that foretold of Obama and his group of czars.

Old 05-05-2011, 10:39 AM

9,727 posts, read 9,728,101 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EinsteinsGhost View Post
That is your opinion, based on your perceptions. I disagree. It is government's responsibility to ensure general welfare of the nation, and energy policy would be an integral part of it.

The role of govt is to protect private property rights and the free flow of commerce. Nothing else.

Old 05-05-2011, 10:40 AM

Quote:
I'm opposed to any such technology that tracks my behaviour, being forced into my car by the government.

What of the existing fuel tax, is it eliminated with this proposal or will this be "in addition to"?
I see that two of us don't take kindly to more government regulation on each of us as individuals. It is just another shot at complete control of us and what we do. Cass Sunstein loves every new bit of regulation, but then that is his job.

Old 05-05-2011, 10:40 AM

31,767 posts, read 28,815,462 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kevinm View Post
The role of govt is to protect private property rights and the free flow of commerce. Nothing else.
Would you mind if I asked for your version of the constitution?

Old 05-05-2011, 10:49 AM

Quote:
Thats easy. Stop funding other things with the existing tax.
What you are asking of our government is really quite impossible for those people who get paid $175,000 plus perks in the Congress. I am talking about the various things they have paid for with Social Security "surplus" all these years. Now there is no surplus and they are having to find some new taxes to pay for their takeover of our lives.

You are so very right here and so many just can't see it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies