Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-05-2011, 08:49 AM

29,981 posts, read 42,939,504 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by newhandle View Post
Actually there is a task force already in place, set up by several states to look at this on the I95 corridor. Their goal is to replace the fuel tax at the pump with a per mile driven tax. This is backed by both the GOP and Democrats at the state level to offset the loss in revenue in state fuel taxes due to increased fuel efficiency. Of course, we could just keep the current system and not build or improve existing roads. Which will it be? I'd be fine with no more roads, but I doubt most people will, so the question is how will the roads be paid for?
Maybe they could restrict federal fuel tax to be spent on roads/bridges alone rather than a slush fund? Ya think?

People will get taxed regardess of driving on or off road. Why should I have to pay for roads 3-4 times? Why should anyone be taxed by the mile to drive on private roads they have built and maintained on their own property?

License plates (tax)
Property tax (pays for local roads)
Fuel tax (fake road tax now a slush fund)
Toll roads (specific road tax and fat income producer for toll booth company much like red light cameras)

How many times do we need to be taxed on roads/bridges in order to pay for them?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-05-2011, 08:53 AM

17,531 posts, read 24,701,378 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lifelongMOgal View Post
The ultimate big brother tax, limiting individual's free travel within the USA via taxation. Yet another layer of government bureaucracy with a new agency created: Surface Transportation Revenue Alternatives Office. How are you going to like having a government required device in your vehicle tracking your travel/miles driven, to be taxed?

Obama floats plan to tax cars by the mile - The Hill's Floor Action

I was especially interest in the text of the link where it said

" this is NOT an administration proposal"

and

"this is NOT an agency proposal"

so what is it besides bull______?

Old 05-05-2011, 08:54 AM

39,874 posts, read 26,521,399 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EinsteinsGhost View Post
You make a good point. If the ultimate goal is to reduce oil usage, higher mileage vehicles by themselves won't cut it. A 60 mpg vehicle might get incentive for being a high fuel economy vehicle but driven four times farther as a 15 mpg vehicle serves the country no good.

Now you're coming back to the root question. Is the purpose of the tax to provide a fair and equitable way of collecting revenue vs the use of highways? Or is it to penalize acts that the government has deemed "bad" and try to influence behavior? A tax on fuel, while easy to impliment, is unfair, in that it charges people with higher fuel consuption vehicles more per mile for "road use" than those with more fuel efficient vehicles. And those running home-made bio diesel, electrics and LP/NG systems don't carry their weight in regards to paying anything for their use of highways. Much like bicyclists, who want infrastructure provided, but don't want to pay for it.

Currently, people buying taxed gas for non highway use (OHVs, boats, snowmobiles, lawnmowers, etc) pay this tax as well. This system could exempt them. With regard to OHV use of a vehicle with the "black box", if the black box is GPS based, it should be able to recognize when the vehicle is driven on private roads/property and not accumulate mileage for that.

Last edited by Toyman at Jewel Lake; 05-05-2011 at 09:19 AM..

Old 05-05-2011, 08:55 AM

31,767 posts, read 28,827,269 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arjay51 View Post
No, but you can't get electricity without one, by law and finances. But you knew that, just chose to ignor it to support your untenable position.
What the heck are you babbling about? Where did "electricity" come into play from?

Quote:
Remember, you're among those who support this one possibility to the detriment of all citizens.
Irresponsible citizens, I couldn't care less about. I'm for a sales tax like gasoline tax.

Quote:
Toll roads were created with prior tax dollars and at least a part of their revenue is used by the various states for things other than their maintenance. If this were to pass, it would be used by the feds and we all know how respondsible with money they are.
It doesn't matter. You're charged a tax by the mile (or a fraction of) in addition to you paying gasoline taxes when driving on such toll roads. This is a fact. You can't be that stupid to stand up and argue against that.

Quote:
Not business as usual. No one is forced to use toll roads, much as you seem to desire that they be forced. In essence, they are private roads built and maintained by public monies. You don't seem to have a problem with this system which is in essense theft.
Why do you think you would be forced to drive more with tax by mile? It is up to you to drive more, or less, just like it is whether you choose to drive on a toll road or not.

Quote:
Or they could just tax you since you so totally support them and have no problem with their idea. That would leave the rest of us free to make choices.
I wouldn't ask for making me an exception. Energy and resources are a national issue, and Americans must grow up to accept the realities. I simply happen to be more willing than you to participate in the cause.

Old 05-05-2011, 08:55 AM

45,231 posts, read 26,450,499 times
Maybe if the fuel tax monies were allocated to their intended purpose, there wouldn't be a need for another one.
Quote:
You know, I think Americans would be shocked to learn that only about 60 percent of the gas tax money that they pay today actually goes into highway and bridge construction. Much of it goes in many, many other areas.-Mary Peters, former Transportation Secretary, Bush Adm.

Old 05-05-2011, 08:57 AM

31,767 posts, read 28,827,269 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank DeForrest View Post
Maybe if the fuel tax monies were allocated to their intended purpose, there wouldn't be a need for another one.
The only intended purpose should be a proper energy policy, not just building and maintaining crap, for more of the same. Unless, the policy is being created by schills of the oil industry who would prefer that people continue to rely on more and more of it. We can always engage with military offense in countries for more oil in the future, anyway.

Old 05-05-2011, 09:00 AM

6,793 posts, read 5,664,886 times
Title is misleading:
"Obama wants to tax your vehicle by the mile driven"

I read the artilce and it clearly states that the Administration have not gone over and approved this plan and that the President does not support this plan.

Old 05-05-2011, 09:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EinsteinsGhost View Post
.......... Energy and resources are a national issue, and Americans must grow up to accept the realities. I simply happen to be more willing than you to participate in the cause.
Thank you, at least you are finally admitting to your williness to submit to a tyrannical governement and the force to make others do likewise.

However, in reality, Americans do not have to accept further and further government intrusion into our private lives and basic freedoms including the right to travel freely thoughout our state and our country with our movement being tracked by the government. Because you choose to bow to tryanny does not make it a reality that most Americans should. That they do is pathetic.

Old 05-05-2011, 09:15 AM

18,630 posts, read 19,421,721 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lifelongMOgal View Post
The ultimate big brother tax, limiting individual's free travel within the USA via taxation. Yet another layer of government bureaucracy with a new agency created: Surface Transportation Revenue Alternatives Office. How are you going to like having a government required device in your vehicle tracking your travel/miles driven, to be taxed?

Obama floats plan to tax cars by the mile - The Hill's Floor Action
Quote:
Among other things, CBO suggested that a vehicle miles traveled (VMT) tax could be tracked by installing electronic equipment on each car to determine how many miles were driven; payment could take place electronically at filling stations.
This is scary. I can't believed this was even considered for draft purposes. Clear privacy violations.

Old 05-05-2011, 09:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by martyogelvie View Post
Title is misleading:
"Obama wants to tax your vehicle by the mile driven"

I read the artilce and it clearly states that the Administration have not gone over and approved this plan and that the President does not support this plan.
Quote:
The Obama administration has floated a transportation authorization bill that would require the study and implementation of a plan to tax automobile drivers based on how many miles they drive.
The plan is a part of the administration's "Transportation Opportunities Act," an undated draft of which was obtained this week by Transportation Weekly.
Are you suggesting this administration puts forward bills it does not support?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies