Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-05-2011, 08:28 AM

6,476 posts, read 7,324,646 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by SourD View Post
I will rip it right out.
They'd likely wire it in such as way that your car wouldn't start if you did that. Also, you'd likely run afoul of the IRS.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-05-2011, 08:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tofurkey View Post
We were warned by the Beatles...

The Taxman

if you drive a car - I’ll tax the street;
if you try to sit - I’ll tax your seat;
if you get too cold - I’ll tax the heat;
if you take a walk - I'll tax your feet.

Taxman!
I liked Steveie Ray Vaughn's (RIP) version better.

Old 05-05-2011, 08:30 AM

45,231 posts, read 26,450,499 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cavaturaccioli View Post
They'd likely wire it in such as way that your car wouldn't start if you did that. Also, you'd likely run afoul of the IRS.
Sounds expensive.

Old 05-05-2011, 08:31 AM

31,767 posts, read 28,822,592 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank DeForrest View Post
We must concentrate the people into our urban utopias where we can keep an eye on em.
Rural folk own guns,go to church and talk bad about the gubement.
You're underestimating human intellect. Perhaps time to experience what is going around?

Old 05-05-2011, 08:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank DeForrest View Post
Sounds expensive.
I doubt it. It'd be like installing a kill switch, the same kind that comes with some car alarms.

Old 05-05-2011, 08:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GregW View Post
I already use the EZ-Pass so they already know where my car has been driven. I still don't care.

LLMG - So what IS the difference between a per mile and a per gallon tax?
The difference is that this will be in addition to the taxes on gasoline. (By the way, the government makes more profit on a gallon of gas than the oil company that produces it. Sick.)

Old 05-05-2011, 08:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EinsteinsGhost View Post
You're underestimating human intellect. Perhaps time to experience what is going around?
Poking fun at an elitist stereotype...lighten up maybe?

"They get bitter, they cling to guns or religion or antipathy to people who aren't like them or anti-immigrant sentiment or anti-trade sentiment as a way to explain their frustrations."-Barack Obama commenting on small town USA

Old 05-05-2011, 08:36 AM

10,908 posts, read 9,558,564 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GregW View Post
Considering I commute by bus, and use the airlines for long trips, I have no objection to a per mile tax. It is no different from a sales tax on gasoline.

As far as being tracked is concerned: I live as if I were in a goldfish bowl. I do whatever I am going to do because I do not care if you or Big Brother is watching.

So you don't care a bit about others who do not have the same options as you? Just let them be taxed into needing to be supported by the government who then can further dictate their behavior?

Old 05-05-2011, 08:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cavaturaccioli View Post
The difference is that this will be in addition to the taxes on gasoline. (By the way, the government makes more profit on a gallon of gas than the oil company that produces it. Sick.)
Hey this is a tax on the 200K crowd.
The poor are going to jump for joy!

Old 05-05-2011, 08:37 AM

29,981 posts, read 42,939,504 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EinsteinsGhost View Post
Driving more is always optional.
So you don't think that people living in rural areas should have access to health care. Is that correct? That they should be additionally taxed to drive the 120 mile round trip (or more) to the nearest hospital or major medical facilities offering technology for testing, is that correct? You don't think their children should be able to attend public schools (even though their property taxes pay for them) when there is no bus service available, is that correct?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies