Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-11-2011, 07:42 PM

9,101 posts, read 16,464,038 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by grmasterb View Post
C'mon, man, they're taking away your freedom with this law! What are you, a communist??!!
Thank-you. It is nice to see that some people still value freedom!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-11-2011, 07:44 PM

17,531 posts, read 24,709,355 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by emilybh View Post
...it was stopped. Yep. Today (the 11th) we all get to begin being treated even MORE like criminals in our own country with the REAL I.D. Act going into effect. Whoopee. Thank-you President Obama! Nothing like having to show your I.D. before you can go into a public building which WE the TAXPAYERS pay for BTW. What a country (not)!

DHS | REAL ID Final Rule (http://www.dhs.gov/files/laws/gc_1172765386179.shtm - broken link)

Real Nightmare

I have mine, that Helicopter on your roof will be Seal Team 6 checking for yours

Old 05-11-2011, 07:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2mares View Post
You label me a communist because I dont see whats bad about making ID's cards as follows:
"Said cards must also feature specific security features intended to prevent tampering, counterfeiting, or duplication of the document for fraudulent purposes. These cards must also present data in a common, machine-readable format."

How is this taking any freedom away from me?
It is taking away your right to privacy. Unless you get a special insulated case the RFID chip emits all your private info (whatever is stored on the card and whatever the goverment feeds into that storage space) for any RFID reader to snatch and use. Do you homework on Radio Frequency Identification Devices (RFID).

Old 05-11-2011, 07:53 PM

17,823 posts, read 23,464,843 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mac_Muz View Post
I got a NH drivers Lic with a MC endorsment on it. That costs 60 bucks each 4 or 5 years and is enough ID to suit me. If the fedral one also covers me and my guns in all 50 states and costs under 50 bucks I'll think about it, but it had best replace my drivers lic with the MC endorsement too. And it better get me into Canada on demand.
The only federal driver's license that I am aware of is really an International Driver's License. I got one back in the late 1970s and not only did it allow me to drive legally in every US state, but also any other country as well. Well, every other country in Europe in any case. I never drove in Asian or middle-eastern countries, so I am not certain if they recognized the license or not. I do know that Germany, Austria, Denmark, France, Spain, and Italy had absolutely no problem with my International Driver's License. I was in the military at the time, so I did not have to pay any fees.

As far as getting into Canada, as long as you do not have a DUI or other serious offense, getting into Canada is easy. It is getting back out of Canada and back into the US that would pose a problem if you did not have your passport with you. Canada does not require a passport to drive in Canada, but the US now requires a US passport to cross back into any US border.

Old 05-11-2011, 08:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boompa View Post
I have mine, that Helicopter on your roof will be Seal Team 6 checking for yours
Ha Ha. That is so funny, I forgot to laugh.

Here, for your info and everyone elses is WHY the National I.D. card is so bad (because of what the RFID chip in it can do). I guess I presumed too much that everyone already knew but I guess most of you are in the dark about it.

Threats to Privacy and Civil Liberties
While there are beneficial uses of RFID, some attributes of the technology could be deployed in ways that threaten privacy and civil liberties:
http://www.privacyrights.org/sites/default/files/imported/newJ01158651.JPG (broken link) Hidden placement of tags;U nique identifiers for all objects worldwide; Massive data aggregation; Hidden readers; Individual tracking and profiling.

Get the details here RFID Position Statement of Consumer Privacy and Civil Liberties Organizations | Privacy Rights Clearinghouse

Also here..http://www.spychips.com/

Old 05-11-2011, 08:13 PM

3,083 posts, read 4,012,380 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by workingclasshero View Post
uhm

please tell me how having a national id is taking away freedom
Having read your comments on national ID in other threads I think any attempt at explanation would be a total waste of time. That said;

The federal requirements violate the 9th and 10th Amendments.

By imposing virtual federal permission to get a driver's license or board a plane it violates the basic Constitutional right of freedom of movement from state to state.

By imposing further federal restrictions on states REAL ID treats states like administrative districts in an empire when the states should be free and sovereign.

It creates yet another unconstitutional federal data base.

Bigger government is not better government.

Last edited by outbacknv; 05-11-2011 at 08:24 PM..

Old 05-13-2011, 09:52 AM

19,023 posts, read 25,976,878 times
Glitch yeah I don't want the expence of a pass port to return from canada... Before the law was changed i went to Canada a lot, as a battle re-enactor, which assisted in getting a lot of money into Canada and in particular to Parks Canada.

All re-enactors spent money there, and people from around the globe came to see the events. They all spent money there too.

NH has no National ID, so I don't see how there can be any real National ID. I won't get one unless it covers my guns in all states no matter how many Obama says there is

My NH drivers lic covers driving/riding in all states, my ccw only does about 18 last time i checked.

If the ID can be read with my wallet in my pants pocket i won't get it then at all.

So far as i know, the ladies still love outlaws

Old 05-13-2011, 10:26 AM

86,052 posts, read 84,531,102 times
Dear State Police

Beep, beep!
Beep, beep!

What I bought for breakfast,
the places where I’ve been,
the name of my mother,
it’s all there on your screen.

I’m a straight-edge spiritualist,
peaceful as can be, oh pray
tell why I was flagged so
you’ll detect me two miles away.

Well, little do you know:
I have learnt the science
and microwaved for precisely
five seconds my driver’s license.

You should harass me less,
this should have done the trick.
No beeps and zero privacy, but
one more melted microchip.

Link to source here (shows up wierd but it's from blogspot): [

Old 05-13-2011, 10:41 AM

2,200 posts, read 4,424,675 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by outbacknv View Post
Having read your comments on national ID in other threads I think any attempt at explanation would be a total waste of time. That said;

The federal requirements violate the 9th and 10th Amendments.

By imposing virtual federal permission to get a driver's license or board a plane it violates the basic Constitutional right of freedom of movement from state to state.

By imposing further federal restrictions on states REAL ID treats states like administrative districts in an empire when the states should be free and sovereign.

It creates yet another unconstitutional federal data base.

Bigger government is not better government.
I'm against the Real ID act, but you have terrible arguments.

In response to the blue section above: It does not violate the basic constitutional right of freedom of movement from state to state. No one is required to have a car or use a plane to move between states. Driving and flying are privileges, not rights.

In response to the red section above: I somewhat agree with what you are trying to argue, and at the same time I don't. The federal government should be allowed to present basic requirements for the states to follow when the states are issuing identification pieces. This ensures that a state doesn't give out craptastic, easy-to-counterfeit IDs. The Real ID act, however, goes way too far.

In response to the green: Federal databases of citizens are not unconstitutional.

Old 05-13-2011, 11:58 AM

5,126 posts, read 7,414,702 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jackmccullough View Post
The Real ID Act is not a law that requires everyone to carry a national, mandated identification document. What it does is set standards that state-issued ID's must meet to be acceptable for the federal government (http://www.dhs.gov/files/programs/gc_1200062053842.shtm - broken link) when an interaction with the federal government requires identification. Identification is issued by the states and databases are maintained by the state governments.
The states are able to share the information in each states' database, which effectively makes it a national I.D.

And really, you are using semantics in your post. If the federal government is setting the standards to be acceptable to the federal government, it's a NATIONAL I.D.

Thank God my state (Georgia) had the sense to enact legislation against it. It's an enormously expensive unfunded mandate that the states can't afford. But more importantly, Georgia is of the opinion that it's a security risk to citizens and an invasion of privacy.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies