Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-11-2011, 11:15 AM

86,052 posts, read 84,531,102 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by workingclasshero View Post
but having a SINGULAR national id and database..and not 51 different databases would actually eliminate much of the eronoius info out there...and lower costs

ie
snuffy smith of nevada..nevada numberxxx-xx-xxxx has a conviction of ______...and snuffy smith of new york, new york number xxx-xx-xxxx has a conviction of

or
a national id

snuffy smith of nevada , national number xxx-xx-xxx1 and snuffy smith of new york national number xxx-xx-xxx2 both have convictions of _____

a national standard show the difference between the two..while the SEPERATE databases could easily get mixed up...and doing things 51 times is more costly
So you are advocating a national driver license ?
Because this REAL ID is not about driver license rules for each state.
It's about the ID needed to get the license.

That's not standardizing 51 state driver license rules.
REAL ID is about a lot more than a driver license.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-11-2011, 11:25 AM

32,816 posts, read 19,500,230 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyTexan View Post
So you are advocating a national driver license ?
Because this REAL ID is not about driver license rules for each state.
It's about the ID needed to get the license.

That's not standardizing 51 state driver license rules.
REAL ID is about a lot more than a driver license.
no

real id is about having a FEDERAL ID...a NATIONAL standard (we all would like some kind of standard.. aye)

why do we need 51 (more if you count the terrortories) types of drivers licenses....all different....are we not on country????

the real question is are we ONE country made of of 50 states...or are we 50 different little countries, with 50 different rules

fact rules and regulations are the key and otherwise you get anarchy

we NEED a national standard and a national ID...why have such vast differences between licenses

we need a NATIONAL STANDARD...it doesnt have to be a national id (although it would be cheaper to do it at a national level then to have the states do it), but a national STANDARD needs to be enforced...if each state is different and has their own databases that dont MATCH up with each other, that adds to the costs....a national standard, and a national id would be best and cheapest

let's ask this

do OTHER COUNTRIES have individual state/region licenses, or do they have country license???

in england, do you get a london license, or a English(GB) license???

so in the UNITED STATES, why should we get a new york or nevada license...why not just a united states license...it would be so much simpler, and cheaper

Old 05-11-2011, 11:43 AM

Well the cost saving/expenditure numbers are all over the board.

The CBO estimates it will cost states $100 million.
The DHS estimates it will cost states $3.9 billion.
The Governor's Association estimates it will cost $11 billion over 5 years.

More data has to be collected and compatible software has to be written so the information can be exchanged. It won't save money to anyone but the Fed. This is consolidation for the Fed, not for the states.

http://www.ncsl.org/default.aspx?tabid=13578

Old 05-11-2011, 12:04 PM

9,394 posts, read 15,698,726 times
I got my Maryland driver's license before REAL ID was fully put in to place, but it already complies with most of its provisions.

I'm having trouble figuring out what there is on my driver's license that's so awful.

Old 05-11-2011, 12:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HurricaneDC View Post
I got my Maryland driver's license before REAL ID was fully put in to place, but it already complies with most of its provisions.

I'm having trouble figuring out what there is on my driver's license that's so awful.
New security features on the card itself.

REAL ID Act - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
"Said cards must also feature specific security features intended to prevent tampering, counterfeiting, or duplication of the document for fraudulent purposes. These cards must also present data in a common, machine-readable format."

Old 05-11-2011, 12:22 PM

36,549 posts, read 30,891,756 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyTexan View Post
New security features on the card itself.

REAL ID Act - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
"Said cards must also feature specific security features intended to prevent tampering, counterfeiting, or duplication of the document for fraudulent purposes. These cards must also present data in a common, machine-readable format."
And thats a bad thing?

Old 05-11-2011, 12:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2mares View Post
And thats a bad thing?
Only when it's an unfunded mandate to states having budget problems.

When many went to digital fingerprint mandates the equipment was too expensive so it got outsourced.
Many of these local and state government cannot afford these federal mandates.

Old 05-11-2011, 12:40 PM

1,081 posts, read 916,649 times
If it would get rid of these bloodsucking illegals, I'm all for it.
Stop being so paranoid and move on with your life.
Or leave with the bloodsuckers.

Old 05-11-2011, 12:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GradyBaaBaa View Post
If it would get rid of these bloodsucking illegals, I'm all for it.
Stop being so paranoid and move on with your life.
Or leave with the bloodsuckers.
How would it get rid of illegals ?
They don't need DL's now to drive or work.
They exist in the underground economy and this will not "fix it".

Old 05-11-2011, 12:47 PM

29,981 posts, read 42,953,749 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by emilybh View Post
Obama is responsible because it happened/ is happening under his watch. Nobody that supports LIBERTY would support this. Both Republicans and Democrats are guilty of doing a disgraceful job as far as I'm concerned. 99% of them ought to be REMOVED from their positions.
There are very few in power who support actual Constutionally affirmed liberty.

Meanwhile the sheeple keep allowing their liberties to be voted away and taken away. Is that frog up to boil yet?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies