Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-15-2011, 12:15 PM

21,026 posts, read 22,192,248 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by sheena12 View Post
I am not conservative, fundamentalist or Catholic.
I am looking at OUTCOMES from a sociological perspective.
When young, ill educated, inexperienced people, procreate out of boredom, the outcome is almost never good."""

So you want a magic, fairy tale world? Well you'll just have to adapt, it never was perfect and never will be.

"""How many children have to be murdered by mom's current boyfriend for people to realize that un-wed teens do not make responsible parents?"""

"People" may realize that but why you think irresponsible un-wed teens should realize it is ludicrous.

""Our prisons are full of the products of such unions.""

Ya, and there doesn't seem to be room for pedophile priests there.

"""I think it's just SAD.
I can not celebrate a mistake of this gravity.
I could celebrate if it were announced at church that the couple in question had decided to give their baby up for adoption to a competent, responsible couple.
That would be something to celebrate!
So you don't believe that baptism is a good thing(something to celebrate)...that's odd, since you seem feel offended somehow about a baby who gets baptized....as if YOU think it's a good thing...
You're confused...

You think a woman giving up her baby is a good thing?! You do NOT know them or their situation but wallow in the sin of Pride thinking you know everything about them...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-15-2011, 12:18 PM

21,026 posts, read 22,192,248 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nmnita View Post
I agree with you but our own son has a 7 year old son and has been with his girlfriend or whatever for about 8 years. This doesn't mean I approve nor does his father. His reasoning: married twice, divorced twice, so he thinks if he got married a third time it probably wouldn't work. I wonder what his son will think when he is old enough to realize mom and dad are not married?

Nita
Gee, wonder what he'll think of his OFT married Dad...I think that'd be a bigger problem...ya know a guy who can't commit but has a kid anyway....

Old 05-15-2011, 12:21 PM

4,866 posts, read 5,689,991 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nmnita View Post
I wonder what his son will think when he is old enough to realize mom and dad are not married?

Nita
I doubt the kid will even care.

I'd be more worried about whether my grandchild is being raised by people who are committed to his well being than whether they have rings on their fingers.

Old 05-15-2011, 12:25 PM

12,980 posts, read 14,596,230 times
Since so many marriages end in divorce, I think it's a moot point. I don't really care what the family situation or structure is, I just wish people would give a little more thought to it before having a baby, but ultimately it's each to their own.

Old 05-15-2011, 12:34 PM

7,923 posts, read 8,862,525 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zimbochick View Post
Since so many marriages end in divorce, I think it's a moot point. I don't really care what the family situation or structure is, I just wish people would give a little more thought to it before having a baby, but ultimately it's each to their own.
Absolutely !!!!!

Old 05-15-2011, 01:05 PM

15,080 posts, read 20,513,544 times
Quote:
I am not. On mother's day a child was baptized at my church. The parents were boyfriend and girlfriend. Why do they feel no shame? I am so confused...
Is this something to celebrate? I think every kid deserves an ADULT as a parent. So am I wrong?
It's none of my business.

[so it doesn't matter if I'm okay/not okay with it]

Old 05-15-2011, 01:09 PM

1,851 posts, read 2,157,260 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Who?Me?! View Post
What a loving christian attitude....! I'm sure mmany christians feel this way and ignore the fact that they're committing the sin of Pride....thinking THEY are perfect.

Now, AGAIN, provide proof that married couples show up at church every Sunday. Is that your benchmark? Or is it how much they contribute? Or how well they're dressed? or any other oh so CHRISTIAN standards....

Most Christians are not really Christians, anyway. At best they are "Self-Appointed Christians Of Convenience and Benefit".

To be a true Chrsitian, you have to live your life by the words of Jesus. And Jesus preached against.....

Judging others ( Looking down on others and raising oneself above others, condeming others, demonizing others, discriminating against other human beings)

Arrogance

Self-Righteousness

Hate

Jealousy

Greed

Capitalism (and gross profiting of others)

Usury

Revenge

Celebrating, enjoying, relishing or cherishing the demise or misfortune of your enemies or of anyone

Preaching Fire and Brimestone

Badmouthing others

These are all behaviors Jesus preached against and taught people Not to participate in such behavior.

Most Christians can't even get past the first one on the list.

Old 05-15-2011, 01:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KickAssArmyChick View Post
Yes because having a child out of the wedlock means you CANNOT be a good parent, you will not love your child like a married couple would, your child will feel like less of a human being and he/she will end up being a drug addict, a prostitute...

Only married couples should have children, even if they don't want them and are not ready for them. The rings on their fingers give them magical parenting skills that those who are not married will never have...

LOL

(I'm being sarcastic by the way)
I know you're being sarcastic and a job well done summarizing the ignorance and viciousness in the church and within Christians/Catholics.

Unfortunately, your summary is a very common and popular mentality and perspective by many Christians and Catholics.

Then they woinder why so many people have abandoned (and rightfully so) the Catholic Church and Christian churches/groups.

Christians love to hammer and blast Islam (and rightfully so, Islam deserves to be hammered), but they themselves are still worlds away from living their lives in a manner that truely reflects Jesus's teachings.

Old 05-15-2011, 01:25 PM

4,866 posts, read 5,689,991 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NMyTree View Post
I know you're being sarcastic and a job well done summarizing the ignorance and viciousness in the church and within Christians/Catholics.

Unfortunately, your summary is a very common and popular mentality and perspective by many Christians and Catholics.

Then they woinder why so many people have abandoned (and rightfully so) the Catholic Church and Christian churches/groups.

Christians love to hammer and blast Islam (and rightfully so, Islam deserves to be hammered), but they themselves are still worlds away from living their lives in a manner that truely reflects Jesus's teachings.
I was raised Catholic and my family is extremely religious but they don't look down on me for having a child without being married at all. They love my boyfriend as if he were part of the family and they are happy I finally found someone who isn't try to choke me in the middle of the night as I sleep.

Some Christians are very judgemental. I know several of them....and they think they are perfect and everyone else is below them. Makes me sick.

Old 05-15-2011, 01:32 PM

Quote:
I am not conservative, fundamentalist or Catholic.
I am looking at OUTCOMES from a sociological perspective.
When young, ill educated, inexperienced people, procreate out of boredom, the outcome is almost never good.
How many children have to be murdered by mom's current boyfriend for people to realize that un-wed teens do not make responsible parents?
Our prisons are full of the products of such unions.
I think it's just SAD.
I can not celebrate a mistake of this gravity.
I could celebrate if it were announced at church that the couple in question had decided to give their baby up for adoption to a competent, responsible couple.
That would be something to celebrate!
Well, most people here weren't responding to this specific subject matter. You screwed up your intial thread starting post. You did a poor job of communicatiing the subject matter, so the discussion is largely about a different topic.

No one is arguing in favor of teenage pregnancy. Do you understand that?

No one is advocating teenagers getting pregnant and raising children.

Have you been reading what people are saying or are you just kind of floating around in your own little world, oblivious to the subject matter most of us are addressing and talking about?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies