Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-14-2011, 06:40 PM

7,923 posts, read 8,861,281 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by zz4guy View Post
No. It is an utterly selfish thing to have a kid outside of marriage. If you cannot commit to a marriage what does that say about your commitment to raising a child??!!

I wish these "parents" would put themselves in the shoes of their kid for once.
How many of these "committed" married people screw around behind their partners back or even abuse their wifes and/or their children...tooo many.
The high divorce rate shows how little commitment goes into a marriage today so this argument doesn't hold water....sorry
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-14-2011, 06:43 PM

2,793 posts, read 6,132,158 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by geeoro View Post
How many of these "committed" married people screw around behind their partners back or even abuse their wifes and/or their children...tooo many.
The high divorce rate shows how little commitment goes into a marriage today so this argument doesn't hold water....sorry
How many unmarried people screw around behind their "partners" backs or abuse their wives and children? Multiples more than those who have some skin in the game in a commitment.

Old 05-14-2011, 06:47 PM

1,851 posts, read 2,156,943 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sheena12 View Post
My agenda is no agenda. I am not talking about responsible adults who have a profession and life experience. I am talking about teenagers. Inexperienced ill-educated people popping out babies.
The outcome of such unions is dismal.
It is not a private issue, it is a social problem.
Jails are full of the products of one night stands.
Has no one ever heard of birth control? What is good about children raising children?

Hmmm......what you're talking about now, is an entirely different subject matter. Not at all what you described in your original thread starting post....

Quote:
I am not. On mother's day a child was baptized at my church. The parents were boyfriend and girlfriend. Why do they feel no shame? I am so confused...
Is this something to celebrate? I think every kid deserves an ADULT as a parent. So am I wrong?
Had you been more capable of expressing yourself more accurately, with actual details that reflect the subject matter you wanted to address; you would have saved us a lot of time and prevented the discussion we are currently having.

Usually, responsible, educated ADULTS are capable of expressing themselves in a much better, more accurate manner.

Old 05-14-2011, 06:50 PM

Quote:
If you cannot commit to a marriage what does that say about your commitment to raising a child??!!.
The two are mutually exclusive. One has nothing to do with the other, whatsoever.

Only in fantasy land (or in the Biblically-inclined fantasy land) of people clinging to narrow-minded, ignorant perceptions; are they inclusive.

Old 05-14-2011, 06:53 PM

7,191 posts, read 4,783,214 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gardener34 View Post
I am OK with it as long as they pay for the baby. Many that do this however, the momma and baby are in the system. And if momma and daddy never get married, baby is in the system til baby is 18yo. I had to wait til I was 34yo to have mine because we could not afford to have one til then.

You are right about momma and baby being "in the system".

I see a few couples everyday where they are "engaged". Heck, they've been "engaged" for 10 years, have 3 kids together and another on the way.

Indeed, the word "fiance" has developed a new meaning: yeah, we are "engaged" (no ring in sight), but in reality we're just shacked up with no intention of getting married otherwise we'd forfeit out "benefits".

Old 05-14-2011, 06:57 PM

7,923 posts, read 8,861,281 times
Quote:
How many unmarried people screw around behind their "partners" backs or abuse their wives and children? Multiples more than those who have some skin in the game in a commitment.
So a piece of paper is a real commitment.....NOT.
Many now get married for financial gains in tax etc etc.
Welcome to 2011

Old 05-14-2011, 06:59 PM

4,100 posts, read 4,527,046 times
I don't agree with it. That said, I don't give a crap what a person does in their personal/love life. None of my business.

Old 05-14-2011, 07:09 PM

21,026 posts, read 22,188,872 times
Quote:
No. It is an utterly selfish thing to have a kid outside of marriage. If you cannot commit to a marriage what does that say about your commitment to raising a child??!!

I wish these "parents" would put themselves in the shoes of their kid for once.
So you need a piece of paper to prove your commitment?...kinda shallow

My spouse and I were together for 26 years without a piece of paper. THAT is commitment...and then we got married (for legal reasons).

Old 05-14-2011, 07:09 PM

Quote:

Again, more fantasy-based, inaccurate statistical creativity.

There are absolutely no staistics that indicate unmarried couples in a commited relationship cheat more often and commit more physical abuse. Zero.

In fact, recent studies indicate unmarried couples in a commited relationship stay together longer and actually live a more harmonious life. Furthermore, unmarried couples that do break up, more often, seem to be able to work through the seperation in much more rational, mature, violitile-free manner; then couples who are bound by a Federally Approved Contractual Agreement.

Old 05-14-2011, 07:13 PM

21,026 posts, read 22,188,872 times
Quote:
My agenda is no agenda. I am not talking about responsible adults who have a profession and life experience. I am talking about teenagers. Inexperienced ill-educated people popping out babies.
The outcome of such unions is dismal.
It is not a private issue, it is a social problem.
Jails are full of the products of one night stands.
Has no one ever heard of birth control? What is good about children raising children?
Here's my standard answer to those who think that human nature can change: Your problem is with whoever or whatever created humans....it's their creation, talk to them and see if they'll change human nature....or you could go on wishing everyone else was as perfect as you.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies