Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-14-2011, 04:23 PM

1,851 posts, read 2,157,260 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by sheena12 View Post
It is not fair to the child. If the parents can't commit to one another, why have children?
I think that some people think of procreation as an accomplishment.
It is not.
Accomplish some thing first. Have something to offer your children. Grow up first.
My kids are teens and they have no interest in having babies.
They look forward to college, travel, so many things.
I am happy that they feel this way. I did too.

You really are narrow-minded and rather ignorant of the world and the people in it.

Your views are absurd and completely based in your own fantasy-filled delusions of your own self-righteousness.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-14-2011, 04:27 PM

4,991 posts, read 4,515,172 times
What does marriage have to do with having kids exactly? For that matter, what is marriage excatly? It's foolishness. The lack of marriage doesn't prevent a couple from properly rearing a child. And conversely, that sheet of paper, hoping over a broom or having some judge or creepy pastor mumble some words doesn't make one a good parent. With 50% of marriages ending in divorce and many more being dysfunctional, marriage is nothing more than cultural custom/ritual carried out to live up to others expectations.

Anyway, people willing and able to properly rear a child no matter their gender or if they're married or not should never be prevented or disuaded from having children.

Old 05-14-2011, 05:04 PM

2,488 posts, read 4,329,539 times
No, I think it's wrong to have children out of wedlock. Statistics show that children born outside of marriage are more likely to experiment with drugs, become alcoholics, be violent, have behavioral problems, drop out of school and be poor. And I do think that if a couple wants children, they should get married and if the couple is unmarried and the girl becomes pregnant, the couple should marry as well. You're most likely are going to involved now so why not get married?

For me honestly, I am completely dead set against having a child out of wedlock. It is not something I would do.

Old 05-14-2011, 05:16 PM

1,851 posts, read 2,157,260 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 90sman View Post
No, I think it's wrong to have children out of wedlock. Statistics show that children born outside of marriage are more likely to experiment with drugs, become alcoholics, be violent, have behavioral problems, drop out of school and be poor. And I do think that if a couple wants children, they should get married and if the couple is unmarried and the girl becomes pregnant, the couple should marry as well. You're most likely are going to involved now so why not get married?

For me honestly, I am completely dead set against having a child out of wedlock. It is not something I would do.

Wrong. A federally approved piece of paper accomplishes none of that. Your statistics are inaccurate and skewed. Actually, the statistic your referencing is for single mothers with an absentee father.. Not parents who choose not to seek a Federal Approval contract. And certainly not for kids born out of wedlock.

Kids do best when both the mother and father are actively and lovingly present and envolved with their lives and are responsible, accountable parents.

Regardless of whether they are Federally Approved or not.

That Federal contract, that piece of paper never guaranteed anything and never succeeded in accomplishing anything. Men and Women are perfectly capable of being commited to being good parents, without that contract.

Old 05-14-2011, 05:20 PM

7,923 posts, read 8,862,525 times
Are you OK with people having kids outside of marraige?

This one is easy to answer...... None of anyone else's business............. NEXT?

Old 05-14-2011, 05:25 PM

6,205 posts, read 7,479,597 times
Every child deserves a steady environment, with parents that are active participants in his/her growing up. Marriage was once such a constitution, but today, when some marriages last a weekend... what's the deal? In this country you need a license to drive, but license for being a parent may be more necessary.

Old 05-14-2011, 05:25 PM

2,488 posts, read 4,329,539 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NMyTree View Post
Wrong. A federally approved piece of paper accomplishes none of that. Your statistics are inaccurate and skewed. Actually, the statistic your referencing is for single mothers with an absentee father.. Not parents who choose not to seek a Federal Approval contract. And certainly not for kids born out of wedlock.

Kids do best when both the mother and father are actively and lovingly present and envolved with their lives and are responsible, accountable parents.

Regardless of whether they are Federally Approved or not.

That Federal contract, that piece of paper never guaranteed anything and never succeeded in accomplishing anything. Men and Women are perfectly capable of being commited to being good parents, without that contract.
Okay dude. I don't view marriage as a "piece of paper", nor do 90 or 95% of the population.

Old 05-14-2011, 05:26 PM

47,525 posts, read 69,830,343 times
They make it our business by expecting the taxpayers be gouged to pay for all their Medicaid, food stamps, free housing, WIC and the rest.

It would be one thing if these single mothers would provide for their children themselves. If they don't want or cannot get a husband, fine, but let them make it on their own.

The problem is, they want everyone else to have to pay for their poor decisions.

Old 05-14-2011, 05:26 PM

24,865 posts, read 24,443,530 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 90sman View Post

Lets see. My parents divorced after a forced wedding, and I did drugs, but I'm not an alcoholic, I'm not violent, and I held a 4.0 in college, and have a great job in a field thats ever expanding.

My son has straight A's in school, plays football, is a great kid, and I never have any significant problems with his behavior, yet his mother and I aren't married. We live together, but aren't married, and don't plan on ever getting legally married.

The statistics you speak of say a one parent home isn't good for kids, but a two parent home, regardless of marriage is still the same. My kids don't care if their mom and dad are married. They just know we love them.

Old 05-14-2011, 05:27 PM

2,616 posts, read 2,403,512 times
It really doesn't matter what I believe. I'm no spring chicken, but I've never been contacted by two unmarried adults requesting my opinion on whether or not they should have kids. In the rare case that it may happen......I'd have to tell them it's NONE OF MY BUSINESS.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies