Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-13-2011, 01:45 PM

25,901 posts, read 42,774,902 times

Advertisements

While I'd rather every child had two married parents, I don't understand your gripe with baptism. Baptism is a sacrament. The ritual is for the baby, not for the parents, and certainly not for you.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-13-2011, 02:09 PM

45,738 posts, read 27,361,084 times
A child is better off with full time male & female parents - preferably the adults that actually made the child.

Am I OK with people having children outside of marriage? I don't prefer it. The children on a percentage basis will have more issues than non two parent households.

By the way - I am defining marriage as two adults in a committed relationship. The commitment is validated by the sexual act necessary to produce children.

Old 05-13-2011, 05:50 PM

6,025 posts, read 15,370,119 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DRob4JC View Post
A child is better off with full time male & female parents - preferably the adults that actually made the child.

Am I OK with people having children outside of marriage? I don't prefer it. The children on a percentage basis will have more issues than non two parent households.

By the way - I am defining marriage as two adults in a committed relationship. The commitment is validated by the sexual act necessary to produce children.
so is the marriage not valid if the couple can't or don't want children?

way to shoehorn in a non related issue

Old 05-13-2011, 05:54 PM

5,652 posts, read 19,378,008 times
I am OK with it as long as they pay for the baby. Many that do this however, the momma and baby are in the system. And if momma and daddy never get married, baby is in the system til baby is 18yo. I had to wait til I was 34yo to have mine because we could not afford to have one til then.

Old 05-13-2011, 07:26 PM

24,156 posts, read 32,606,747 times
It is not fair to the child. If the parents can't commit to one another, why have children?
I think that some people think of procreation as an accomplishment.
It is not.
Accomplish some thing first. Have something to offer your children. Grow up first.
My kids are teens and they have no interest in having babies.
They look forward to college, travel, so many things.
I am happy that they feel this way. I did too.

Old 05-13-2011, 09:42 PM

26,847 posts, read 22,665,634 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sheena12 View Post
I am not. On mother's day a child was baptized at my church. The parents were boyfriend and girlfriend. Why do they feel no shame? I am so confused...
Is this something to celebrate? I think every kid deserves an ADULT as a parent. So am I wrong?
No, I don't see a big problem with children being born outside of marriage, what I don't quite understand, is why such couples are still insisting on bringing baby to the church. That's something that clearly defies the logic.
Why fight some rituals, yet to insist on others?
I don't think you can pick and choose what's convenient and what's not when it's coming to god.

Old 05-13-2011, 10:49 PM

14,440 posts, read 14,389,692 times
Once again, I feel shocked at the number of the people who feel that marriage is an unnecessary and dispensable process. Studies have continuously shown over the last forty years that most of the convicts in prison come from single parent homes. They have shown that the average educational attainments of children of single parents are less than those of children coming from a two-parent household. The correlation between the single parent household and participation in food stamps, TANF, WIC, Medicaid, and other taxpayer-funded programs is extremely heavy. Another way of saying this is that the children raised in single parent households in America are the ones most likely to live in poverty.

I know some people will angrily jump up and say that single parenting works fine for them and they have never taken a dime of financial assistance from anyone. Great. Exceptions exist for every rule that is out there. It still doesn't make it right.

Sometimes, single parenthood truly cannot be prevented and I sympathize with those who fall into that category. Divorce and the death of a spouse do occur. However, these situations are becoming the exception rather than the rule. What is becoming all-too-common is the situation where a woman simply makes a choice to deliberately parent without a spouse. People can defend this until the cows come home it doesn't make it any more right. When divorce occurs, a legal framework exists for setting parameters for issues like custody, visitation, and the duty of a parent to provide health insurance. That framework is much more sketchy when no legal marriage exists. Children of single parents are statistically less likely to collect court ordered child support than children in a divorced situation.

Its not about "morality" and "judging people". Its about making accurate comparisons between two groups in a population and concluding that one manner of raising children has advantages that the other does not.

I fear that the world that we adults have created for children is not as good as the one in which we were raise. The social consequences of what we have done may be many years in the making.

Last edited by markg91359; 05-13-2011 at 11:03 PM..

Old 05-13-2011, 11:26 PM

7,099 posts, read 27,217,480 times
Would your have preferred that the child NOT be baptised?

Old 05-13-2011, 11:36 PM

1,485 posts, read 1,383,352 times
All of my grandchildren and my great-granddaughter were born out of wedlock. Not my preference but whatever.

Old 05-14-2011, 12:08 AM

4,417 posts, read 9,157,496 times
I have become pretty anti-institutional. An old school church would never have performed the baptism. Nowadays as long as you are registe Republican the Church will do almost anything and make modifications where necessary. Jesus was not a Republican, and todays followers are phjarisee hypocrits!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies