Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-15-2011, 06:54 AM

4,866 posts, read 5,696,268 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by sheena12 View Post
It is not fair to the child. If the parents can't commit to one another, why have children?
The only true commitment is the one you make in your HEART.

A piece of paper cannot and will not make someone stay in a marriage.

Last edited by KickAssArmyChick; 05-15-2011 at 07:03 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-15-2011, 06:58 AM

25,231 posts, read 17,000,290 times
Quote:
I am not. On mother's day a child was baptized at my church. The parents were boyfriend and girlfriend. Why do they feel no shame? I am so confused...
Is this something to celebrate? I think every kid deserves an ADULT as a parent. So am I wrong?
So, do you think they should not have had the baby baptized, baptizim is about the baby not the couple. Did you want them to beg for your forgiveness? CLUE: it is None Of Your Business, have any opinion you want but the days of making people wear a scarlet letter or over, thank GOD.
Casper

Old 05-15-2011, 08:17 AM

47,525 posts, read 69,914,996 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JustJulia View Post
What I mean, and I apologize for not being more obvious, is that a child's baptism has nothing to do with his parents' marital status or the delicate feelings of the scandalized parish. I'm not sure where sneering at babies and well-meaning parents fits into church.

Babies happen, sometimes unexpectedly. Surely both pro-life and pro-choice people recognize this, because choice also means the choice not to have an abortion just because you're not married. The question, then, is, "What now?"
I can see for the women who didn't want to abort the baby of course but those who believe in nothing their church teaches but just show up for a baptism because it's a nice photo opportunity and party theme, I can't the point. The child won't likely be brought to church again unti it's time for a first communion and another party.

It's really up to the churches though. If that's the kind of thing they want to promote, it's their decision. If churches no longer want to promote marriage and instead want to promote sex outside of marriage instead, it's their call. And people can choose religions that they fit with.

Old 05-15-2011, 08:27 AM

21,026 posts, read 22,212,428 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by malamute View Post
I can see for the women who didn't want to abort the baby of course but those who believe in nothing their church teaches but just show up for a baptism because it's a nice photo opportunity and party theme, I can't the point. The child won't likely be brought to church again unti it's time for a first communion and another party."""

Let's blow this out of the water right away...WHERE is your proof of that allegation? Do you know the couple personally?

MANY MARRIED couples don't go to church all that often....maybe Christmas and another party and Easter and another party

"""It's really up to the churches though. If that's the kind of thing they want to promote, it's their decision. If churches no longer want to promote marriage and instead want to promote sex outside of marriage instead, it's their call. And people can choose religions that they fit with.
Most churches DO want to promote baptism of innocent babies....why do you want to punish the baby?

Old 05-15-2011, 08:32 AM

47,525 posts, read 69,914,996 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Who?Me?! View Post
Most churches DO want to promote baptism of innocent babies....why do you want to punish the baby?
Yes I know that kind. Around here they call them "hatch, batch, match, and dispatch" Christians.

Hatch is when they are born and show up to church for baptism. They don't show up again until first communion - the batch, then when they get married - match, and then to their funeral - dispatch.

Very few visits otherwise - but like I said, it's up to the individual churches to choose what they wish to promote.

Old 05-15-2011, 09:31 AM

4,866 posts, read 5,696,268 times
Quote:
I am not. On mother's day a child was baptized at my church. The parents were boyfriend and girlfriend. Why do they feel no shame? I am so confused...
Is this something to celebrate? I think every kid deserves an ADULT as a parent. So am I wrong?

Oh and before I forget...It seems to me that it should be celebrated that both parents were at the baptism - and whether or not they choose to marry is no one's business but theirs.

Old 05-15-2011, 09:39 AM

852 posts, read 1,361,442 times
Quote:

While I think the ideal situation is for a child to have a married mother and father, I understand that it is not always possible. It is unfortunate that children outside of marriage happens as often as it does but at the end of the day, I am okay with it as long as that person is mature, responsible, and loving. It's actually happened to a lot of my friends. In fact, I think my wife and I may be one of the very few who are married and don't yet have children. Hopefully we will soon.

Old 05-15-2011, 09:52 AM

2,010 posts, read 3,337,906 times
I don't see what the big deal is. To me a married couple and a couple that's lived together for years and raised kids are the same. The only difference is a piece of paper that says who gets what on taxes and that these two people are legally tied.

If you've been with your boy/girl friend for 10 years and already had three kids, you're together, married or not, it's clear that you're committed to one another and that's enough for me so long as they're both good parents I couldn't care less...

Old 05-15-2011, 10:09 AM

21,026 posts, read 22,212,428 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by malamute View Post
Yes I know that kind. Around here they call them "hatch, batch, match, and dispatch" Christians.

Hatch is when they are born and show up to church for baptism. They don't show up again until first communion - the batch, then when they get married - match, and then to their funeral - dispatch.

Very few visits otherwise - but like I said, it's up to the individual churches to choose what they wish to promote.
What a loving christian attitude....! I'm sure mmany christians feel this way and ignore the fact that they're committing the sin of Pride....thinking THEY are perfect.

Now, AGAIN, provide proof that married couples show up at church every Sunday. Is that your benchmark? Or is it how much they contribute? Or how well they're dressed? or any other oh so CHRISTIAN standards....

Old 05-15-2011, 10:15 AM

8,560 posts, read 11,249,086 times
Quote:
Suppose the church had been baptizing a baby born to a woman as a result of a rape or other abuse. And that woman had a male friend/cousin/brother who had committed to helping her with raising the child.

Would you deny the baptism for the child?

Still confused?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies