Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-01-2011, 12:27 PM

25,619 posts, read 36,722,601 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChocLot View Post
msnbc.com Video Player

Wondering what everyone's thoughts are. This is a tough call for me. First shot was 100% justified. The follow-up shots made him a murderer, but perhaps life in prison is too harsh a sentence.
Read about this a while ago. I'm torn being a former LEO. That scum bag punk broke the law and got some street justice. But that ding dong Pharmacist broke the law also. Classic case of adrenaline cause Pharmacist to not be in his right mind. I'm thinking he did not have the right representation in court. Hope for an appeal and retrial.

I'm conflicted. I'll tell you what though had I shot the mother ****er he would have been dead before he hit the ground. Once you start shooting don't stop until your empty. If the prep is down after that then reload and secure the location.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-01-2011, 12:28 PM

52,697 posts, read 34,586,907 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bulldogdad View Post
ugga I think you visit to many different forums LMAO. Sometimes I get confused thinking I read a thread on CD but it was actually on the same topic in another forum site. LOL

Amazing how many duplicate thread I see posted here and on the many gun/hunting forums I read.
y'know, you just might be right about that

still, i'd've sworn i saw it here. oh well

Old 06-01-2011, 12:28 PM

41,479 posts, read 59,811,485 times
Life imprisonment for Pest Control seems a bit harsh to me. This pharmacist was not a police trained shooter and should have been excused for firing more then a single shot. How was he to know if the pest was going to keep shooting? How did he know when to stop? I hope somebody appeals this verdict.

IMHO My life is sacred, my friends lives are sacred, the lives of peaceful people are sacred. The lives of armed thugs perpetrating a crime are up for grabs.

Old 06-01-2011, 12:40 PM

4,520 posts, read 4,211,612 times
What's being pointed out is:

-Erslan left the store for 1.5 minutes....I presume to chase down the other guy (the actual one with the gun). He left the employees he was defending with the shot perp, so that indicates that Erslan no longer found him a threat.

-When Erslan returned to the store, he stepped over the boy and turned his back to go get a second gun and then fired 5 more shots.

I don't think the problem is multiple shots. If that were me, I wouldn't have stopped shooting until my gun was emptied. But to wait 1.5 minutes between rounds?....Nah...definite overkill.

AND WHY THE HELL DIDN'T ERSLAN DESTROY THE SURVEILLANCE TAPE? Surely, he could see it was extremely incriminating!

Old 06-01-2011, 12:41 PM

12,436 posts, read 11,955,274 times
I think the jury got it right on the verdict. I think the sentence was too harsh given the circumstances. I would have gone for the minimum. I don't know what that is in Oklahoma, but I am sure it is not life.

Old 06-01-2011, 12:44 PM

52,697 posts, read 34,586,907 times
some more background here: Oklahoma City pharmacist's supporters seek pardon; attorneys begin appeal | NewsOK.com

Quote:
Formal sentencing is set for July 11. Box said Friday he will ask Oklahoma County District Judge Ray C. Elliott to reschedule the formal sentencing for as soon as possible.

The judge could suspend part or all of the life term. If he doesn't, Ersland will not be eligible for parole for more than 38 years.

Old 06-01-2011, 12:46 PM

41,479 posts, read 59,811,485 times
I would have given him a medal not a sentence.

Old 06-01-2011, 12:48 PM

20,460 posts, read 26,343,211 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChocLot View Post
msnbc.com Video Player

Wondering what everyone's thoughts are. This is a tough call for me. First shot was 100% justified. The follow-up shots made him a murderer, but perhaps life in prison is too harsh a sentence.
I would agree with your assessment.
First shot - OK.
Other shots - NOT OK.
Life in Prison - Probably not OK.

Ken

Old 06-01-2011, 12:48 PM

37,143 posts, read 42,240,055 times
I don't see murder here. He wouldn't have done anything to hurt anyone if these guys hadn't broke in and threatened HIM with a gun. Once you do that all bets are off IMO and they are guilty of putting him in this position.

Old 06-01-2011, 12:57 PM

20,460 posts, read 26,343,211 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ceece View Post
I don't see murder here. He wouldn't have done anything to hurt anyone if these guys hadn't broke in and threatened HIM with a gun. Once you do that all bets are off IMO and they are guilty of putting him in this position.
You could use the same argument for executing POWs.
It's just NOT a good argument for cold-bloodedly killing someone who is no longer a threat to you. It's just killing someone because you are mad at them. The REASON that you are MAD at them doesn't make killing them OK. THAT'S never a justification for murder.

I DO think that there are mitigating circumstances so LIFE is probably too harsh. But 10 years maybe? I think that might be appropriate.

Ken
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies