Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-11-2011, 11:47 AM

68,329 posts, read 54,400,252 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by tropolis View Post
this is old, and theres another thread about this buried somewhere.
Must be a shortage of molehills the NeoConfused can feign outrage over
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-11-2011, 11:49 AM

4,300 posts, read 4,409,483 times
If he was rational (I don't know if he was), he would have just let the kid bleed out (which he probably would have done by the time Paramedics got there). Pumping him full of lead was not necessary. However, in combat that happens all the time. We always want to make sure that the person is down for good. It goes against human nature (in those positions) to think in a rational manner during a high stress situation. Those that can are the exception. Unfortunately, we have made the exceptional case the standard by which everyone will be judged. The common man will fail to meet those standards despite any and all training received. I don't know if this guy falls under that category (as the story didn't have details), but that is my two cents.

Old 07-11-2011, 11:50 AM

1,569 posts, read 1,211,290 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GregW View Post
Please remember I am one of the very leftist liberals around here and I think this sentence was totally unjustified. It was not a cold blooded premeditated murder. It was a killing done in a rage. Rage can eliminate anything but the overwhelming need to kill the thing or person that triggered the rage.

I really wonder if the pharmacist was sane when he went to get another gun. I think, if he has a decent attorney, this might be grounds for an appeal.
Well this is clearly premeditated, first of all. You walk behind the counter knowing what you are going to get and what you're going to do with it. Premeditation doesn't require some enormous amount of time.

I am sure that mitigating factors were brought up. Heat of passion, legally adequate provocation, lack of cooling time - these factors are generally those considered to add up to mitigation. You are not really in a position to say that they all existed here.

Old 07-11-2011, 11:51 AM

15,852 posts, read 35,139,020 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GregW;19968373

[COLOR=black
I really wonder if the pharmacist was sane when he went to get another gun. I think, if he has a decent attorney, this might be grounds for an appeal.[/color]
People do a lot of crazy things during an adrenaline rush. A good attorney would definitely use this as a defense. Thing is. The pharmacist either was an incredibly lucky shot or he was as cool as a cucumber. Hard to prove that the guy was tweaked out beyond comprehension making a shot like that.

20yrsinBranson

Old 07-11-2011, 11:58 AM

23,838 posts, read 23,127,661 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucario View Post
Do black people a favor and don't tell us what type of names to give our children. And be a real American and respect whatever types of names you come across, instead of discriminating against people because of your perception of what their names look or sound like.
I'll just assume that you, and most Black people, have never read studies delving into "What's In A Name?"

Until then, please refrain from responding to my posts. It's clear you haven't a clue the detrimental effects that poorly chosen names actually do have on children in America.

Thanks.

Old 07-11-2011, 12:02 PM

1,569 posts, read 1,211,290 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AeroGuyDC View Post
I'll just assume that you, and most Black people, have never read studies delving into "What's In A Name?"

Until then, please refrain from responding to my posts. It's clear you haven't a clue the detrimental effects that poorly chosen names actually do have on children in America.

Thanks.
Well uh, the reason those names have an effect is because of people treating them differently based on their names. People like you. The problem may well be addressed with different names, but the root problem is not the names, it's the people who hold prejudices based on those names.

Old 07-11-2011, 12:04 PM

11,760 posts, read 14,656,809 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 20yrsinBranson View Post
As much as I would have been equally tempted to pump a few dozen shots into Antwun, I would have resisted the urge.

This is where he went wrong. Having a right to defend oneself is very different than having a right to murder someone. The pharmacist's life was no longer in danger. He should have quit while he was ahead.

20yrsinBranson
From reading many of your posts I think it's safe to say that you're way more conservative than I am, but I agree completely.

It doesn't matter what your feelings are or how you would want to react in this situation, the law requires us to disregard our feelings and act in compliance with the law. That's what enables us to have a civilized society.

After all, who's to say the next time someone might feel justified in shooting you?

Old 07-11-2011, 12:08 PM

25,947 posts, read 24,749,338 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AeroGuyDC View Post
With a name like "Antwun," the victim was destined for greatness.

Black people...do well by your kids and give them names that society respects. Seriously.

As to the OP, let the Doc go. Society is a better place without "Antwun."
The only problem with Antwun is the spelling, but that only few people know. Usually when you say your name people assume it is spelled correctly. And the name as such is not negative at all. And a bit fancier than the usual John or Jack or James

(Different names do have connotations, though. I read about a ranking of names in Germany today. In a huge study they found out that on online dating sites certain names get far fewer clicks than others, even after compensating for frequency and things like that. Kevin for instance is the worst name a man can have there There is even a correlation between name and self-esteem, education, and other things. The reasons behind that are complex.)

Old 07-11-2011, 12:18 PM

1,777 posts, read 1,403,372 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rockmadinejad View Post
Well this is clearly premeditated, first of all. You walk behind the counter knowing what you are going to get and what you're going to do with it. Premeditation doesn't require some enormous amount of time.

I am sure that mitigating factors were brought up. Heat of passion, legally adequate provocation, lack of cooling time - these factors are generally those considered to add up to mitigation. You are not really in a position to say that they all existed here.
Those mitigating factors could have made the difference between this second degree murder and voluntary manslaughter. I feel very confident that the pharmacist here was offered a voluntary manslaughter plea bargain with a sentencing recommendation, but he believed that he could have gotten off entirely. The moment the threat of robbery ended, the pharmacist lost any potential claim of justification in defense of property. Without seeing the video, you can't tell if there is enough of a cooling off period to meet the requirement of voluntary manslaughter, but the prosecutors went for the highest charge, and the jury apparently agreed. Without seeing the video itself though, it's hard to say one way or the other. The pharmacist might be able to get the conviction reduced on appeal, but he will probably not be able to get it overturned entirely on these facts.

Quote:

Poorly chosen names? So if a person doesn't have a WASPy enough name, then they deserve to be discriminated against? That's about a half step removed from the slave driver whipping Kunta Kinte until he broke down and said that his name was Toby.

Old 07-11-2011, 12:26 PM

23,838 posts, read 23,127,661 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Neuling View Post
The only problem with Antwun is the spelling, but that only few people know. Usually when you say your name people assume it is spelled correctly. And the name as such is not negative at all. And a bit fancier than the usual John or Jack or James

(Different names do have connotations, though. I read about a ranking of names in Germany today. In a huge study they found out that on online dating sites certain names get far fewer clicks than others, even after compensating for frequency and things like that. Kevin for instance is the worst name a man can have there There is even a correlation between name and self-esteem, education, and other things. The reasons behind that are complex.)
Exactly. I know what i'm talking about. The poster's above could use a little enlightenment. But I digress.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies