Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-02-2011, 11:23 PM

37,135 posts, read 42,222,200 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by andrea3821 View Post
If the football team decides they want to pray, that doesn't affect you or me or anyone else at the stadium. No poll necessary, except the one being taken of the players.
And how exactly would they decide and how would it even come up? And more importantly...WHY??
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-02-2011, 11:27 PM

10,239 posts, read 19,610,755 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ceece View Post
Does your god know HE IS A BET???
Wellllll, I DO remember a poker game I was in last year and everyone had folded but me and this other fellow. I had all my money in the pot and he raised me. He told me he would accept my personal check if I called. I held Four of a Kind (Queens), so I called. And was praying hard.

So God wasn't the bet, but dad-gummed if He must not have been watching out for me in SOME way...cos I won (the other guy had a Full House! LOL)

Old 06-02-2011, 11:27 PM

44,882 posts, read 33,274,487 times
Quote:
And how exactly would they decide and how would it even come up? And more importantly...WHY??
I guess you didn't see my post about the 52 out of 53 boys at one Dearborn, Mi highschool who pray before every game. I doubt that they asked the one infidel if he wanted to take part but then since they weren't Christians maybe they were fair that way.

Old 06-02-2011, 11:28 PM

8,806 posts, read 6,112,361 times
Quote:
B/c maybe people care about safety? Maybe they noticed they were all praying separately and decided to just do it as a group instead? I've never been a football player or coach, so that's just a guess.

Old 06-02-2011, 11:28 PM

44,882 posts, read 33,274,487 times
Quote:
I guess you didn't see my post about the 52 out of 53 boys at one Dearborn, Mi highschool who are Muslim who pray before every game. I doubt that they asked the one infidel if he wanted to take part but then since they weren't Christians maybe they were fair that way.

Old 06-03-2011, 12:09 AM

Quote:
B/c maybe people care about safety? Maybe they noticed they were all praying separately and decided to just do it as a group instead? I've never been a football player or coach, so that's just a guess.
Did you really say because "people care about safety"? Then do warm up activities and wear helmets.

And I mean this exactly: if everyone is already doing it privately on their own there is no need to do it publicly in a group or put anyone on the spot for NOT going along with the group. It's an unnecessary group activity unless it's a religious event. Everyone knows it, even you, but for some reason...

Old 06-03-2011, 12:14 AM

10,239 posts, read 19,610,755 times
Quote:
It's not a violation if the team (or people in the stands) wants to pray. If they don't want to pray, they don't have to.
Exactly right, Andrea. I think some on this thread are starting to believe their own press notices when they seemingly do not get the point by thinking that their "rights" are being violated when some choose to pray in a spontaneous manner.

In fact, I would encourage Christians all over the country to -- if we damn well please -- to say a spontaneous prayer (The Lord's Prayer is perfect for the occasion!) in place of an officially lead one. This does not violate any "seperation" clause, and we are pefectly free to do so. If some of the perpetually "offended" don't like it? Tough sh*t. They can leave and/or not participate or whatever suits their fancy...

I want to add I am honestly not trying to be obnoxious here. Nor shove anything in anyones face. I truly do not want to offend anyone. It is just I am sick and tired of seeing federal courts demand Christian Americans bend to satisfy every disgruntled soul who claims to be "offended" when they hear a prayer. And that "we" take it. Well, to hell with that. It is high time we Christians stood up for our rights as tax payers and Americans as well.

Let's say our prayers aloud and spontaneously, and dare anybody to stop us. If the courts should go so far as to rule THAT a violation? Then let's keep doing it anyway and force them to call in federal authorities to prevent it.

Ok...ok...I am thru ranting and raving and outta here for the night. Y'all have a good one evening.

Old 06-03-2011, 01:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasReb View Post
Exactly right, Andrea. I think some on this thread are starting to believe their own press notices when they seemingly do not get the point by thinking that their "rights" are being violated when some choose to pray in a spontaneous manner.

In fact, I would encourage Christians all over the country to -- if we damn well please -- to say a spontaneous prayer (The Lord's Prayer is perfect for the occasion!) in place of an officially lead one. This does not violate any "seperation" clause, and we are pefectly free to do so. If some of the perpetually "offended" don't like it? Tough sh*t. They can leave and/or not participate or whatever suits their fancy...

I want to add I am honestly not trying to be obnoxious here. Nor shove anything in anyones face. I truly do not want to offend anyone. It is just I am sick and tired of seeing federal courts demand Christian Americans bend to satisfy every disgruntled soul who claims to be "offended" when they hear a prayer. And that "we" take it. Well, to hell with that. It is high time we Christians stood up for our rights as tax payers and Americans as well.

Let's say our prayers aloud and spontaneously, and dare anybody to stop us. If the courts should go so far as to rule THAT a violation? Then let's keep doing it anyway and force them to call in federal authorities to prevent it.

Ok...ok...I am thru ranting and raving and outta here for the night. Y'all have a good one evening.
I think you should pray all you want too. Just don't waste my time when you do it If you can't see that you should pray on it.

Old 06-03-2011, 06:31 AM

15,866 posts, read 21,445,747 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by roysoldboy View Post
I guess you didn't see my post about the 52 out of 53 boys at one Dearborn, Mi highschool who pray before every game. I doubt that they asked the one infidel if he wanted to take part but then since they weren't Christians maybe they were fair that way.
Just like the 100+ people in my high school marching band didn't ask the one bound for hell if she minded that she was forced to pray to Jesus before every game. I am Jewish and asked to be allowed to leave the room for the prayer (which was done before either home games or before we boarded the bus) or to lead the prayer myself. Neither was granted. I was even scolded for refusing to bow my head and close my eyes.

That's the much more common story in the US.

Old 06-03-2011, 06:43 AM

17,401 posts, read 11,978,162 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JazzyTallGuy View Post
No you are not. Devout Christian graduates of this school could have easily met for a prayer service either before or after the ceremony is praying meant that much to them.

Again the Constitution is about protecting the rights of all Americans including those that aren't Christians.
You just proved the point perfectly here - it's about protecting the rights of all Americans, UNLESS you are Christian.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies