Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-08-2011, 06:08 PM

5,739 posts, read 6,938,473 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Winter_Sucks View Post
Sarah Palin isn't smarter than a fifth grader.
Quote:
Originally Posted by AlohaHuey View Post
Palin: Goddess of Rhetorical Nonsense. What a ninny.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sco View Post
I think she spent a little too much time at the Beck University. If she wasn't so stupid, I would almost believe that she is intentionally trying to create a spoof of herself.
A Beck University degree is all about milking the simpleton market for profit and wealth by running your mouth at it. It's really that simple, run your mouth and the money flows in. Fox, Savage, Levin all know about this market, and they're wealthy.
There is no love for America in any of this. It's jingo-for-profit.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-08-2011, 06:33 PM

17,531 posts, read 24,709,355 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gurbie View Post
Palin fans attempt to rewrite Paul Revere’s Wikipedia page | The Raw Story

There are numerous news reports this morning that Wikipedia articles on Paul Revere are being rapidly editted back and forth, as Sarah Palin's supporters try to alter their content to make her bizarre, incoherant remarks in Boston appear to reflect reality.

That's right, folks, when your candidate screws up, just alter the historical record! If some confluence of events allows Palin to become president, she'll have to invent a new cabinet position- Secretary of Truth! Whoever gets the job will be a busy dude!

Anyone read 1984?: "(S)he who controls the past, controls the future"

Did Orwell see Palin coming???
Good job, your Chocolate ration has been incresed from 22 to 20 grams

Old 06-08-2011, 06:39 PM

37,195 posts, read 19,232,404 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DC at the Ridge View Post
It's not news to me nor should it be to anyone that the British army was seizing ammunition that could potentially be used against them. That's warcraft 101. They weren't going house to house asking for colonists to turn over their weapons. Because the colonists lived in the colonies, where potential threats were all around. They weren't disarming the colonists, they were removing ammunition stockpiles that they feared would be used against British soldiers.

Snarky comments aside, unlike Palin, I actually DO know my history.

What kind of ammunition? if memory serves, the only weapons available were flintlocks, and they used primarily round balls that were commonly molded by the owner of the weapon in which they were fired. Pewter was a suitable substitute for lead in a pinch because of the low melting temperature. Today's tea service, tomorrow's bullets.

Old 06-08-2011, 06:48 PM

2,395 posts, read 3,014,952 times
Quote:
It's not news to me nor should it be to anyone that the British army was seizing ammunition that could potentially be used against them. That's warcraft 101. They weren't going house to house asking for colonists to turn over their weapons.
First, I am not capable of performing the mental gymnastics that would lead me to conclude that seizing ammunition from the colonists is not exactly the same thing as disarming them. A gun without ammunition is nothing more than a fancy stick.

Second, the possibility of disarming the colonists was debated in the councils with General Gage, and this was reported in the press at the time. The colonists were clearly concerned that Gage would attempt to seize weapons from the colonists.

Third, there were instances of British troops seizing weapons from colonists. For example, on Sept 29 1774 it was reported that property including 12 rifles belonging to Mr. Samuel Phillips of Andover was seized by the British Captain Bishop while he was transporting them on a ferry across the harbor. Rumors were widespread that British troops were routinely confiscating weapons. There is no doubt that the colonists had a reasonable fear of being disarmed even if widespread disarmament was not yet being implemented.

Quote:
Because the colonists lived in the colonies, where potential threats were all around. They weren't disarming the colonists, they were removing ammunition stockpiles that they feared would be used against British soldiers.
By this logic I would conclude that since that the residents of south central Los Angeles live in a dangerous area with high rates of violent crime the local politicians must have a policy of enabling those residents to carry weapons to protect themselves against this present danger. Since when has the presence of danger been sufficient cause for tyrants to allow subjects to be armed?

As I said in my OP in this thread, the history clearly reflects that a proximate cause for the beginning of hostilities in the Boston area was the concern by the colonists that the British would disarm them. It was only one of many causes the colonists had against the British, but it certainly was a factor that should not be ignored.

Old 06-08-2011, 06:49 PM

2,395 posts, read 3,014,952 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cuebald View Post
What kind of ammunition? if memory serves, the only weapons available were flintlocks, and they used primarily round balls that were commonly molded by the owner of the weapon in which they were fired. Pewter was a suitable substitute for lead in a pinch because of the low melting temperature. Today's tea service, tomorrow's bullets.
The British confiscated powder stores throughout the Boston area.

Old 06-08-2011, 06:53 PM

14,361 posts, read 9,795,791 times
You may have heard recently something about that Sarah Palin telling a reporter that Paul Revere warned the British on his famous rousing revolutionary ride. Now, that so many Americans have wallowed in their smug confirmation that Palin is an idiot unqualified for anything but repeating sixth-grade history, how far, wide and fast do you think the contradictory news will spread that the former governor of Alaska was indeed correct?

This is from LA Times reporter Andrew Malcolm, so you can't scream right wing sourcing.

You know how Sarah Palin said Paul Revere warned the British? Well, he did. Now, who looks stupid? - latimes.com

She was right, the left is wrong (again), and now they want to say history is being rewritten to excuse their raking of Palin over the coals at every opportunity. Just a heads up: She isn't our candidate. Kind of like Libya isn't a war, only in reverse.

Old 06-08-2011, 07:00 PM

Default Palin got it right the Left got it wrong, welcome to the truth.

The well-known fable is Revere's late-night ride to warn fellow revolutionaries that....

...the British were coming. Less known, obviously, is the rest of the evening's events in which Revere was captured by said redcoats and did indeed defiantly warn them of the awakened militia awaiting their arrival ahead and of the American Revolution's inevitable victory.

Palin knew this. The on-scene reporters did not and ran off like Revere to alert the world to Palin's latest mis-speak, which wasn't.

Source: LA Times -Andrew Malcolm

You know how Sarah Palin said Paul Revere warned the British? Well, he did. Now, who looks stupid? - latimes.com

Old 06-08-2011, 07:02 PM
Sco

4,259 posts, read 4,921,382 times
You are a couple of days late with your post. I think there are already about a dozen identical posts you could have replied to instead.

Old 06-08-2011, 07:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sco View Post
You are a couple of days late with your post. I think there are already about a dozen identical posts you could have replied to instead.
Ah, I did a search and got nothing... bummer

I guess this thread should be trashed then.

Old 06-08-2011, 07:05 PM

24,868 posts, read 24,403,011 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by steven_h View Post
The well-known fable is Revere's late-night ride to warn fellow revolutionaries that....

...the British were coming. Less known, obviously, is the rest of the evening's events in which Revere was captured by said redcoats and did indeed defiantly warn them of the awakened militia awaiting their arrival ahead and of the American Revolution's inevitable victory.

Palin knew this. The on-scene reporters did not and ran off like Revere to alert the world to Palin's latest mis-speak, which wasn't.

Source: LA Times -Andrew Malcolm

Now, reality check.

Do you think Sarah Palin knew that really, or was she winging it trying to remember that there was lamp if by land, and two lamps if by sea?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies