Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 06-14-2011, 02:11 PM

18,630 posts, read 19,429,643 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by freefall View Post
The Republicans who control the Arizona Legislature refused to extend unemployment benefits to thousands of needy Arizona residents Monday, a move that would have cost the state nothing and brought to Arizona millions in federal funds.

At least legislators get paid
My understanding is the Gov., a Republican, was for the extension.

Old 06-14-2011, 02:14 PM

Well my undersrtanding is that there are crops that need to be picked in Georgia. Some of these jobs pay $15 an hour. Georgia's climate is somewhat similar to Arizona. I think I've found a solution for these people who can't get a job in 99 weeks.

Old 06-14-2011, 02:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Versatile View Post
Our 60-year-old son lost his computer graphics job to India. He was laid off two years ago. He has sent out hundreds of resumes, attended job fairs, applied at temporary agencies, knocked on doors, all without any luck. He has applied for many jobs other than in the computer-graphics field.

"He spent his savings, cashed in his 401(k), and finally had to move in with us because he had no money left. He didn't apply for unemployment until he had used up all his own resources."

So workingasshero what do you say now?
Wow he's 60 and living with mom and dad. His self worth must be in the crapper.

Old 06-14-2011, 02:17 PM

2,541 posts, read 2,740,173 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Phil306 View Post
Here we go again...Yes, I've heard it ALL before: I paid into unemployment so I DESERVE these benefits. First off, that statement is only partially true. MANY people don't pay a dime into unemployment, yet have gotten 99 weeks of it: All on the taxpayer dime.

Not too mention, there are MILLIONS of people who had a job for 6 months, a year. They didn't pay into the system ANYWHERE NEAR what they are getting out of it (the same as Social Security).

So save it. You can slice it, dice it, chop it, and spin doctor it anyway you want. And, I notice you didn't answer the overriding question: Where is the money going to come from? If you want to extend "unemployment benefits" to these poor unfortunate people, who can't find a job in almost two years, YOU PAY FOR IT. Don't force me too.

'MANY people don't pay a dime into unemployment, yet have gotten 99 weeks of it' - this is a lie

You cannot collect unemployment insurance if you were not paying into it.

Old 06-14-2011, 02:19 PM

1,027 posts, read 825,327 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EdwardA View Post
Wow he's 60 and living with mom and dad. His self worth must be in the crapper.

If it was me id leave my car running in the garage and play my favorite CD till I dozed off.

Old 06-14-2011, 02:54 PM

2,200 posts, read 4,424,675 times
Quote:
Well my undersrtanding is that there are crops that need to be picked in Georgia. Some of these jobs pay $15 an hour. Georgia's climate is somewhat similar to Arizona. I think I've found a solution for these people who can't get a job in 99 weeks.
Great. Now explain how those people afford to move from Arizona to Georgia with no income or money.

Thanks.

Old 06-14-2011, 04:24 PM

33,016 posts, read 27,477,048 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sophiasmommy View Post
Some of these people are using unemployment as a "job." it's been well documented that millions of those on the dole would rather suckle at the teet of the government than look for a job. Why do you want people to be dependent on the government rather than be self sufficient?

A growing number of employers are unwilling to consider hiring the unemployed. So if someone chooses to sit and collect unemployment, then they find nobody will hire them, aren't they getting what they deserve?

And if they're not going to bother working, that just leaves more job opportunities for those of us who want to work.

Old 06-14-2011, 04:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by psulions2007 View Post
Great. Now explain how those people afford to move from Arizona to Georgia with no income or money.

Thanks.

He's going to suggest that these people should have saved up money (for potential situations like this) when they were working.

So I'll jump ahead and address that issue: The job I lost paid minimum wage. How was I supposed to save up money on a minimum wage income?

Old 06-14-2011, 04:31 PM

Quote:

I lost a minimum wage job, I have no savings and can't afford to move to Georgia. Now what's your solution?

Old 06-14-2011, 04:32 PM

13,900 posts, read 9,778,487 times
I don't know Arizona too well, but I do know that during the last decade the state gained a lot of new citizens and then the economy and housing bubble burst. As of right now there may just be too many people looking for a job in a state that doesn't have the capital to create new jobs. It's a bad situation.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies