Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-14-2011, 03:30 PM

1,337 posts, read 1,522,379 times

Advertisements

My vote is on Heimo Korth and the few people that still exist nowadays that are like him. Heimo is truly among a rather exclusive dying breed (at least in this country, and in the context of most First Worlder lifestyles) of pioneers that are about as close to the mountain man lifestyle as one can reasonably get nowadays. He chooses to live that way as a lifestyle choice, because that is simply what he enjoys. He does it, and fairly well, at that. And has been at it for thirty-plus years now.

Living up in ANWR and traversing from remote hand-built cabin to cabin throughout the year so as not to deplete the resources and allow for sustainable living (he is one of the few people allowed to live in ANWR, as he was "grandfathered" in, subsistence living there before it even became a Wildlife Refuge), there is no real "civilization" within about an 50,000 to 80,000 plus square mile radius.... if you could even call Fort Yukon "civilization," which it doesn't even come close to by lower 48 standards.

Division of labor, changes in politics, and the accompanying softer lifestyle which almost exclusively revolves around dependency on others in almost every sphere of our daily lives has left its tainted mark on almost all of us. This has resulted in almost everyone being neutered of most of these subsistence skills which were once common in the not so distant past.

Far Out - Heimo's Arctic Refuge is an excellent video:

‪Far Out - Heimo's Arctic Refuge - Full Version‬‏ - YouTube

I suggest anyone that wants a nice healthy reality check of what kind of skills are truly necessary to try to subsist, and what it looks like to live for the most part, "without" [lots of stuff], watch the video. I admire this man greatly. It has to been a tough life, and he admits to such quite candidly. Korth seems an extremely amiable guy, also (see 11:40 in the video for more on that). He definitely smashes the absurd [politically motivated] smear tactic stereotypes that are usually levied against people that might want to live that kind of peaceful lifestyle.

Heimo was also featured in a National Geographic special many years back (narrated by actor Martin Sheen) entitled Braving Alaska, which covered the stories of a few Alaskan bush dwellers.

A book was also written about Korth which should perhaps be on the "must read" list of anyone who fancies the idea of possessing subsistence skills (whether it be due to exigency, or simply as a lifestyle choice as Heimo chooses): The Final Frontiersman: Heimo Korth and His Family, Alone in Alaska's Arctic Wilderness

Last edited by FreedomThroughAnarchism; 07-14-2011 at 04:05 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-14-2011, 03:38 PM

19,567 posts, read 21,866,888 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by coastalgirl View Post
Except that Savannah isn't a major city with a large metropolitan area like Charlotte. On the same note, though, I'm sure you're aware, since you obviously know so much about the south, that Hilton Head is considered a suburb of Beaufort. And it's 45 minutes away.
Ummm,no Hilton Head Island is NOT a suburb of Beaufort....

Quote:
Not sure how you used Google maps to determine that I live 45 miles outside of Charlotte, since my home is literally INSIDE the city of Charlotte. I think you're truly delusional.
You stated you lived in Shelby...did you not?
Were you incorrect as to the town you live in?

Old 07-14-2011, 03:40 PM

10,659 posts, read 10,724,472 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by phylogeny View Post
This entire thread is based on stereotypes with no basis in our modern society. How many people living in the rural areas actually FARM for a living anymore? My SO's paternal relatives mostly live in small towns or rural regions and none are farmers by trade anymore. They are just as "helpless" as the city folks if natural disaster hits. Well not for a living but it still puts food on the table....

No, I have yet to meet one country folk who would find it any easier to adapt to a lack of electricity or water than the average city folk.....
I'm Todd Nice to meet you....

Now, my parents...they actually grew up in a third world country without running water, electricity, and my dad's entire family were subsistence farmers.
So did my Grandparents...It was Iowa....

My dad knows how to plant/harvest rice and vegetables, raise and butcher animals. He is also an experienced carpenter who made half of my parents furniture when they first got married. My mom knows how to sew clothes from cloths, knit sweaters, make shoes from rags (everyone had to in the 70's China).
Big deal I can do that...
Both my parents love to cook from scratch. No canned sauce for them.
Taste better that way doesn't it
Both have grown up without electricity, lived on dirt floor, and have spent the first 20 years of their lives with only their legs as modes of transportation. My parents said they've walked for days to get from place A to place B. They have also lived through sweltering heat without air conditioner and freezing winters without heaters.
When I was a kid I had to cut a cord of wood a day with a hatchet after I milked 20 head of cows by hand all that before I walked 10 miles to the one room school house....uphill!
Farmers in the US uses large machines to till the land and fertilize crops. When my dad was growing up, most farmers couldn't even afford water buffalo. Farmers in the American past used horses to pull the till. Instead of a buffalo or a horse, my dad tied himself to the end of a till and pulled the thing himself. Each rice seedling was planted and fertilized by hand. When he first came to this country, he told me he hardly considered American farming to be physical work since so much of the hard labor is done by machines. Isn't technology great!!!!Darn that old Chairmen Mao anyhow!!!

Yeah, I admit that, given my parents' perspective, it does seem wonky when people make it sound like farmers and rural people have no need for city folks and could survive just fine if civilization ended. Give me a break.
Just 'cause you don't like it don't mean it can't happen
Who do you think designs and manufactures the farm equipments that allows farmers to grow crops?Iowa farmers with a side job at Deere
Who do you think makes the shoes, clothes, furniture?The Amish guys down the road?

Who do you think provides the electricity that powers homes and heat/air conditioning? mmmm yea I can do that
Who do you think purifies water that allows rural people to drink it straight from the tap? come out of the well pretty clean....
Who do you think designed and built the pipes that allows rural people access to water in homes? The ancient egyptians and some slave laborers at the PVC plant in China...

My parents may be self described left leaning democrats with no appreciation for the gun, but they have lived without electricity, running water, roads, cars, even food. They've been able to make their own furniture, sew their clothes, and my dad actually have been forced to live off the land. Oh yeah, they both survived a famine that killed 30 million people by being very creative with their diet. My dad says stir fried crickets are quiet a treat! So, if the world ended tomorrow and we had to survive off the land, I wouldn't go running to the nearest rural dweller because they'd be just as unprepared as me. I'd phone dad.
He probably won't be able to help you 'cause He'lll be hooked to a plow by some gun toating country boys along with some other sheeples...

Old 07-14-2011, 03:47 PM

316 posts, read 560,039 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BentBow View Post
When the sheet hits the fan, a country boy will survive!

Old 07-14-2011, 03:51 PM

10,659 posts, read 10,724,472 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Glitch View Post
Not true. I know a lot of people who not only live off the grid completely, but there is typically no road access either. The only way to get to their property is by boat, plane, ATV, snowmachines, or a very long hike. Yet they have all the amenities they could want. We have three kinds of Alaskans:
  • Urban;
  • Rural; and
  • Bush.
Rural Alaskans still live on the road system, and most (but not all) have electricity. Bush Alaskans do not have road access, and very few have electricity.
What did I say that was not true? read it again....

Old 07-14-2011, 03:52 PM

19,112 posts, read 30,623,707 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NVplumber View Post
Wow...and I take it you know LOTS of us country folk? Your well traveled enough amongst us that you feel uniquely qualified to sit in judgement? Ha...indeed. I know there is and has been forever a rift twixt city and country folk....but urban arrogance such as this sheds new light on it for me. Thank God im a country boy!!
Yes, actually. I grew up on a ranch, and have worked on ranches since I was 12. Urban Arrogance? I live on the edge of a 20,000 acre working cattle ranch and the town I live in has a grand total of 1,259 people as of the last census.

I worked as a vet assistant for a few years and still help them out every once in a while, I was in 4H for 11 years, FFA throughout High School. My projects consisted of everything from shooting sports (I placed nationally a few times in the postal shoot) to replacement heifers.

But hey, I guess I'm still 'urban' to you

Old 07-14-2011, 04:03 PM

18,158 posts, read 15,623,058 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JetJockey View Post
Yes, actually. I grew up on a ranch, and have worked on ranches since I was 12. Urban Arrogance? I live on the edge of a 20,000 acre working cattle ranch and the town I live in has a grand total of 1,259 people as of the last census.

I worked as a vet assistant for a few years and still help them out every once in a while, I was in 4H for 11 years, FFA throughout High School. My projects consisted of everything from shooting sports (I placed nationally a few times in the postal shoot) to replacement heifers.

From the tone of your posts and the disdain you espouse for the rural lifestyle and populace what is one supposed to think? Nevertheless I stand in error since you says so. Don't make much nevermind to me one way or tuther. Ifn things are so bad in your parts gotta wonder why you would hang around. Slinkin about like a coy dog trying to hide the contempt you feel for your neighbors. Hell.....its a big country. Find someplace where the folks suit ya and quit bitchin

Old 07-14-2011, 04:08 PM

8,560 posts, read 11,212,862 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Robeaux View Post
I literally LOL'd when I read that. I love the part where the "organized people will organize".

You going to hit us with your science books?
LOL.... being the educated a$$ wipes they are, they're going to sell the science books as toilet paper.

Old 07-14-2011, 04:11 PM

86,052 posts, read 84,464,288 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JetJockey View Post

You can come live next to me on my ranch
I would take you as a neighbor.

Old 07-14-2011, 04:12 PM

3,325 posts, read 3,169,722 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GregW View Post
I am a liberal. How well I can defend myself, my family and my friends is for me to know and my enemies to find out.
You are a liberal. I can only assume you will defend your family with sticks and stones as we all know just how liberals feel about gun control.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies