Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-21-2011, 11:38 PM

2,031 posts, read 2,990,344 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by pommysmommy View Post
I will be so happy to learn that you are right. You do know that the United States is a highly litigious country?
Not as litigious as Germany, Sweden, Israel and Austria ... all of which allow gays to serve openly.
doeLegal Journal: Global Litigation Rates: The US is Not the Leader

I haven't noticed those countries being torn asunder by lawsuits over those scary, scary gays in uniform

The military has different genders, different races ... and it's not overwhelmed by sexual discrimination lawsuits and racial discrimination lawsuits.

Your problem is you've yelled "The sky is going to fall!" too many times. You did it when Massachusetts legalized same-sex marriage seven long years ago. It didn't destroy the institution of marriage, and it certainly didn't weaken mine (I can't speak for you, maybe your marriage has fallen apart all because gays can get married in six states now!).

Your dire warnings haven't come true.
You've lost.

You'll get over it...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-21-2011, 11:45 PM

Quote:
That is because it was sexual assault against a mere woman. Wait until men cry rape and/or sexual harrassment.
There are gays in the military now. And service members know it. Beyond that, they often know who. Even 17 years ago, I knew of at least one man in my unit who was gay. One of my coworkers has a son on the USS Stennis, and when he (my coworker) spent Tiger Cruise on ship a couple of years ago, his son mentioned listed several sailors he knew who were gay. Lots of people knew, no one cared.

All that's changing is that everyone gets to stop pretending. The gays get to stop pretending they're not gay, and all the others who know they're gay get to stop pretending they have no idea.

Old 07-21-2011, 11:45 PM

9,855 posts, read 10,418,899 times
We shall see. Can't wait to see how many will get VA benefits for PTSD caused by unwanted sexual advances. You know it's coming.

Old 07-21-2011, 11:47 PM

9,879 posts, read 8,024,034 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Voyageur View Post
While I appreciate non discrimination against gays,
it is one less closed loophole, when the government
brings back the draft. To Klinger(s) everywhere -
Tough Luck

Seriously though, I would rather our government
spend more energy on why we should not go to
wars of choice, rather than to who can be in a voluntary force.

Old 07-21-2011, 11:47 PM

26,680 posts, read 28,685,125 times
Quote:
We shall see. Can't wait to see how many will get VA benefits for PTSD caused by unwanted sexual advances. You know it's coming.
Good lord. The things you people come up with.

Old 07-21-2011, 11:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnUnidentifiedMale View Post
Good lord. The things you people come up with.
You must not be familiar with the VA system and the awarding of government benefits based on alleged service related injuries/disabilities.

Old 07-21-2011, 11:57 PM

Quote:
What a sad mockery you make of the myriad soldiers and sailors actually suffering from PTSD to equate it with being propositioned ...

Old 07-22-2011, 12:08 AM

2,963 posts, read 6,265,611 times
Oh no, gays in the military

Old 07-22-2011, 12:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Voyageur View Post
What a sad mockery you make of the myriad soldiers and sailors actually suffering from PTSD to equate it with being propositioned ...
I know of many veterans who never served in war zones who get disability benefits based on "traumatic" events that happened during service in the military. One person I know of was mugged on an army post. He did not do well in the military and was tould he shoud ask for an early out. He is now drawing disability benefit for being robbed of his wallet on an army because he has PTSD from the assault on post.

Old 07-22-2011, 12:17 AM

Quote:
I know of many veterans who never served in war zones who get disability benefits based on "traumatic" events that happened during service in the military. One person I know of was mugged on an army post. He did not do well in the military and was tould he shoud ask for an early out. He is now drawing disability benefit for being robbed of his wallet on an army because he has PTSD from the assault on post.
I'm quite sure getting mugged is very similar to having your squad leader Bruce ask if you want to go down to Le Bistro and share a champagne coolie...

Imagine how foolish you'll feel decades down the road when opposition to allowing gays to serve openly seems as backward and medieval as decades-old opposition to allowing women serve or to integrating the armed forces now seems.

Think about it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies