Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-02-2011, 12:32 PM

39,875 posts, read 26,526,580 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wayland Woman View Post
...As I said before, it really doesn't matter if he intended it to be racist or not. Common sense should tell a person in a high position like he's in that you don't use a term that brings up images of black babies covered in tar when you're talking about a black president. I don't assume either way if he knew the term was like a dog whistle to racists, or not. I don't really care.
Perhaps people in "high positions" have read more American literature and understand the common usage of the term, instead of the "urban dictionary". I have to admit that I learned something by this thread, a new term that racists utilize for black people. And apparently that using trashy slang for Mexicans isn't offensive to (some of) those same people.

Old 08-02-2011, 12:33 PM

4,520 posts, read 4,211,040 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SamBarrow View Post
I love these arguments when people dig deeper and deeper into something and try to dismantle it using ridiculous technicalities - all to distract from the point.
So, you're saying a man under 40 is a boy? What exactly am I "dismantling"?

Old 08-02-2011, 12:34 PM

8,806 posts, read 6,114,806 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChocLot View Post
Just because he's 60 doesn't mean a 40 year old is a boy. He's just younger.
I didn't say a 40 y/o was a boy. What is your definition of "boy"? Where is the age cutoff? It's all subjective.

Old 08-02-2011, 12:35 PM

6,175 posts, read 12,942,835 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tippinturtle View Post
I know & everyone I know who heard this know exactly what that term means. To try to spin it into something other than a racist word is ridiculous.
Tell us then, please. We've seen one definition; a sticky situation that seems to worsen with attempts to break free. Share with us the racist meaning, please, as I've neve heard it.

Old 08-02-2011, 12:36 PM

8,806 posts, read 6,114,806 times
Quote:
I agree and if something can be misconstrued as racist, isn't it best to stay away from such ambiguous statements?

I could say "Damn, I really want a f@g right now". Perhaps I did mean I want a cigarette, but seriously, why use such an inflammatory language?
B/c being PC has gone way too far. To the point where it's almost interfering with first amendment rights. Nobody is going to get arrested for saying "tar baby" but if a greeting card can get pulled for saying "black hole," there is something really wrong with society today. And if you want to refer to a cigarette as a ***, go ahead, if someone gets offended, that's their problem.

Old 08-02-2011, 12:37 PM

24,645 posts, read 38,663,697 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by andrea3821 View Post
B/c being PC has gone way too far. To the point where it's almost interfering with first amendment rights. Nobody is going to get arrested for saying "tar baby" but if a greeting card can get pulled for saying "black hole," there is something really wrong with society today. And if you want to refer to a cigarette as a ***, go ahead, if someone gets offended, that's their problem.
What's wrong with society today is that racists feel they can do/say whatever they want without consequence.

Old 08-02-2011, 12:38 PM

13,691 posts, read 18,460,842 times
I don't use that term. I have never heard anybody use the term "tar baby".

Lamborn was born in 1954 it's possible he's heard it used in a derogatory manner.

But I can't imagine that anybody would think that the term "tar baby" would be used in a racist manner toward the president. He wasn't referring to the president personally, but to the policy and the act of being attached to an issue that you don't want to be part of.

I guess if someone is a racist, then they're constantly looking for racism in everything and they can manage to turn anything into something racist.

Quote:
“Even if some people say, ‘Well the Republicans should have done this or they should have done that,’ they will hold the president responsible. Now, I don’t even want to have to be associated with him. It’s like touching a tar baby and you get it, you’re stuck, and you’re a part of the problem now and you can’t get away, Lamborn said Friday on the Caplis and Silverman Show on 630 KHOW talk radio.

Old 08-02-2011, 12:39 PM

6,137 posts, read 4,863,777 times
Quote:
So, you're saying a man under 40 is a boy? What exactly am I "dismantling"?
Does it matter? What the hell does that even have to do with the original subject?

Old 08-02-2011, 12:39 PM

3,436 posts, read 2,950,469 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucario View Post
What's wrong with society today is that racists feel they can do/say whatever they want without consequence.

Right and feel that they can just say that whoever has called them on it is playing the race card or being too PC.

Old 08-02-2011, 12:40 PM

19,226 posts, read 15,328,875 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Factsplease View Post
They do understand, but it's the dog whistle thing. Apparently they think everyone that doesn't think like them is too stupid to see it when it's actually the other way around. They think they can get over by accusing anyone who points this out of playing the race card or by flat out denying it.
Making "Tar Baby" into racial slur by way of dog whistle innuendo is a stretch for the attractor and the detractor.

"Uh-uh-uh, I know what you're gonna say, son. When two halves is gone, there's nothin' left. And you're right, it's a little ole worm, who wasn't there. Two nothin's is nothin'."

Foghorn Leghorn
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies