Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-02-2011, 12:40 PM

90,297 posts, read 120,810,305 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by LuckyGem View Post
I don't use that term. I have never heard anybody use the term "tar baby".

Lamborn was born in 1954 it's possible he's heard it used in a derogatory manner.

But I can't imagine that anybody would think that the term "tar baby" would be used in a racist manner toward the president. He wasn't referring to the president personally, but to the policy.

I guess if someone is a racist, then they're constantly looking for racism in everything and they can manage to turn anything into something racist.
Read his words. They are quoted in the OP and again throughout the thread. Lamborn referred to Obama as a "tar baby", not to the policy as such.

Old 08-02-2011, 12:41 PM

24,645 posts, read 38,663,697 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ergohead View Post
Making "Tar Baby" into racial slur by way of dog whistle innuendo is a stretch for the attractor and the detractor.

"Uh-uh-uh, I know what you're gonna say, son. When two halves is gone, there's nothin' left. And you're right, it's a little ole worm, who wasn't there. Two nothin's is nothin'."

Foghorn Leghorn

I say, "What, I say, what on Earth are you talking about, son?"

Old 08-02-2011, 12:42 PM

8,806 posts, read 6,114,806 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Factsplease View Post
Why did you respond then? It was also quite ridiculous and offensive to refer to the POTUS as a tar baby, especially when he happens to have an African father. Why is it that in your eyes only liberals can say things that are ridiculous and offensive? Have you ever tried putting yourself in someone else's shoes or have you ever tried being objective before immediately jumping to the defense of the person who was called racist?

You seem to get very worked up every time someone is accused of racism but you are so caught up in disproving and defending conservatives that you can't see that racism does exist and racism is a factor in some people's hatred toward the POTUS. This doesn't mean that anyone who criticizes him is racist, but racism does exist and because it does, there are certain things that people just shouldn't say or do if they don't want to be pegged as a racist, period. All the "race card" and "PC" whining is BS. Some times people play the race card, but not all the time. Yet every time you are defending the person that got called racist without even begining to try to undersand the other side. It is obvious that the word "racist" really gets under your skin. It is the actual racism that gets under mine.
If I find something offensive, I state it, no matter who is doing it. Seeing as how I had no idea what "tar baby" meant until this thread, obviously I'm not going to automatically condemn the man for saying it, especially when there is another valid meaning for the word.

I do think there are some people who are racist and dislike Obama for that reason. But these people are honestly few and far between. I for one am sick and tired of being called racist just for disagreeing with Obama, or in this case, defending Lamborn's use of "tar baby" when he definitely could have meant it in a different, non-racist way.

I will say what I want to say and it's really sad that I get called a racist for it b/c I'm not. It IS using the race card and being PC when you try to censor one's words just b/c YOU think badly of the specific words being used. There are some things that aren't polite to say, sure, but that doesn't mean the person has some kind of ill intentions.

If you were called something constantly that you weren't, it would get under your skin, too. You want me to put myself in your shoes, well, how about you put yourself in mine?

And sorry, but your little analogy about hanging a black man was not called for at all. And it didn't even make sense, the context of the situation was a white killing a black, the words are taken in that context and of course I would condemn the person for it. Obviously common sense says that if you witness one person trying to kill another, you call the cops, so it would be a moot point anyway, and I would have no problem telling the cops what was said b/c it's obviously appalling that one person would hang another just for his color.

Old 08-02-2011, 12:45 PM

22,923 posts, read 15,500,035 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wayland Woman View Post
I'll bet you think George Orwell's Animal Farm was just a book about a farm and that the Mother Goose rhymes had nothing what so ever to do with parodying the political events of the times they were written. Uncle Remus books and the movie based on them, Song of the South, were anything but non-racist---unless you believe that the master/slave relationship was an idyllic way of living.

Oh here we go!

Yes as a child I surely did believe the stories were about a farm! I never had any exposure to Mother Goose so wouldn't know about those either way.

I hail from a country and heritage that didn't even have slavery on the table at least for a bunch of generations before my birth.

Before you chatter on about what I might believe being an idyllic way of living; slavery wasn't something we had to consider in our daily living as it wasn't part of our heritage and just NEVER came up in any discussions at all.

No we didn't make the connection to the slavery stuff when viewing films like "Song of the South" as the south AND slavery was so far removed from us we, as children, NEVER considered it's relevance to a movie.

Perhaps you can consider me ignorant of those events at the worst but you can keep your racist inuendos to yourself as there are many areas of the planet without your required guilt complex!

Old 08-02-2011, 12:46 PM

13,691 posts, read 18,460,842 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katiana View Post
Read his words. They are quoted in the OP and again throughout the thread. Lamborn referred to Obama as a "tar baby", not to the policy as such.
I read that he was referring to the policy. Being attached to an issue that you can't be unstuck from.

Quote:
“Even if some people say, ‘Well the Republicans should have done this or they should have done that,’ they will hold the president responsible. Now, I don’t even want to have to be associated with him. It’s like touching a tar baby and you get it, you’re stuck, and you’re a part of the problem now and you can’t get away,” Lamborn said Friday on the Caplis and Silverman Show on 630 KHOW talk radio.
I find it truly impossible to believe that someone would read that comment and believe that the congressman called the President of the United States a "tar baby".

I cannot construe a racist comment from what he said.

39,875 posts, read 26,526,580 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cluck Norris View Post
Wow...you know the Leftist's are in all out defense mode when "tar baby" is enough to incite 27 pages of comments. Maybe you guys should unplug the IMAC and the Chevy Volt and tune into sports sometimes. I know its asking a lot to be the Anti-Granola for a minute, but it seems it would benefit you to learn that the best defense is a good offense.

In other words, if Tar Baby bothers you so much, then tell us how much good Barack Obama has done for this nation. Kills us with facts. This Tar Baby discussion really just makes you seem like you KNOW you're on the losing end.

Put down that organic carrot and give us some Grade A Beef to chew on. Right now you look like Mental Midgets.

"Lighten up, Francis."

6,137 posts, read 4,863,777 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Factsplease View Post
Right and feel that they can just say that whoever has called them on it is playing the race card or being too PC.
Even if that was the case here, which it's not, it would only be possible because of people like you who try to spin everything and anything you can into racism, therefore destroying the credibility of anyone who calls out actual racism.

I used to be on the opposite side I am now until I realized that this is all a tool to slander and deflect from the actual topic. People seek out racism wherever they can in order to play the victim card and raise hell when really if you look at the context it's obvious that the intent here was not to be racist but to use a very simple metaphor.

Quote:
“Even if some people say, ‘Well the Republicans should have done this or they should have done that,’ they will hold the president responsible. Now, I don’t even want to have to be associated with him. It’s like touching a tar baby and you get it, you’re stuck, and you’re a part of the problem now and you can’t get away,” Lamborn said Friday on the Caplis and Silverman Show on 630 KHOW talk radio.
Seriously??? This is such complete and total BS. If you really think this proves any type of racism you are delusional.

Old 08-02-2011, 12:49 PM

1,457 posts, read 2,028,774 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cluck Norris View Post
Wow...you know the Leftist's are in all out defense mode when "tar baby" is enough to incite 27 pages of comments. Maybe you guys should unplug the IMAC and the Chevy Volt and tune into sports sometimes. I know its asking a lot to be the Anti-Granola for a minute, but it seems it would benefit you to learn that the best defense is a good offense.

In other words, if Tar Baby bothers you so much, then tell us how much good Barack Obama has done for this nation. Kills us with facts. This Tar Baby discussion really just makes you seem like you KNOW you're on the losing end.

Put down that organic carrot and give us some Grade A Beef to chew on. Right now you look like Mental Midgets.

HA HA HA...wuuzzaaaaaaaaa

Old 08-02-2011, 12:51 PM

3,436 posts, read 2,950,469 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by andrea3821 View Post
If I find something offensive, I state it, no matter who is doing it. Seeing as how I had no idea what "tar baby" meant until this thread, obviously I'm not going to automatically condemn the man for saying it, especially when there is another valid meaning for the word.

I do think there are some people who are racist and dislike Obama for that reason. But these people are honestly few and far between. I for one am sick and tired of being called racist just for disagreeing with Obama, or in this case, defending Lamborn's use of "tar baby" when he definitely could have meant it in a different, non-racist way.

I will say what I want to say and it's really sad that I get called a racist for it b/c I'm not. It IS using the race card and being PC when you try to censor one's words just b/c YOU think badly of the specific words being used. There are some things that aren't polite to say, sure, but that doesn't mean the person has some kind of ill intentions.

If you were called something constantly that you weren't, it would get under your skin, too. You want me to put myself in your shoes, well, how about you put yourself in mine?

And sorry, but your little analogy about hanging a black man was not called for at all. And it didn't even make sense, the context of the situation was a white killing a black, the words are taken in that context and of course I would condemn the person for it. Obviously common sense says that if you witness one person trying to kill another, you call the cops, so it would be a moot point anyway, and I would have no problem telling the cops what was said b/c it's obviously appalling that one person would hang another just for his color.
I have never called you racist for criticizing Obama but you are always in these types of threads defending the side that has been accused of racism. That's what makes you suspect. No matter how much some of us would like these things to go away, racism, sexism, bigotry and a whole lot of other "isms" exist. Until all of this goes away, people should be PC to a certain extent.

If a woman politician is called the B word by a male politician, I am sure he would get called sexist. It matters not what side of the isle the politician sits on, there should be a certain level of respect and sensitivity, especially when a person belongs to a group who has faced so much discrimination. When Palin has been verbally attacked, many on the right jumped to her defense and said that the people on the left did not like to see a successful woman or accused them of being sexist. Yet when people on the right insulted or attacked women on the left (including the president's daughter), those same people either joined in or ignored it. Saying that people shouldn't have to be politically correct or that they are playing the race card is a cop out.

Old 08-02-2011, 12:52 PM

19,226 posts, read 15,328,875 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucario View Post
I say, "What, I say, what on Earth are you talking about, son?"
"That's the first time someone else shot my mouth off."

Foghorn
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies