Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-18-2011, 01:27 PM

42,732 posts, read 29,889,770 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by KUchief25 View Post
How do I know if he lied? What was he using as his source? The article didn't mention that for some reason. I guess one would have to provide that to say somebody was lying or not or was the source inaccurate?

Salary.com has it at 5.8%

Yearly Unemployment Rates for the last 50 Years

These guys have it at 5.78

Annual Unemployment Rate, Percent

BLS has em at 5.8

Where can I find the unemployment rate for previous years?

I think one should question the "political animal" source for using one month out of the year.
Very, very funny.

Limbaugh lied. He says that Obama inherited an unemployment rate of 5.8%. When Obama took office, the unemployment rate was not 5.8%. Therefore Limbaugh lied.

And, dear, the salary.com site, it's a link to the BLS site. Redundancy is great in many instances, but not in all. In January 2009, the unemployment rate was 7.6%. It's easily available. Just google it. Or go to Bing. Or navigate the BLS site. Limbaugh lied.

And I think you should really work on your comprehension. Limbaugh wasn't talking about yearly averages, and the only reason someone defending Limbaugh would introduce yearly averages would be in an attempt to spin away Limbaugh's LIE. Obama doesn't inherit the yearly average unemployment rate of 2008. He inherits the unemployment rate the day Bush leaves office and Obama enters office. Just like if my great-grandfather dies tomorrow. I don't inherit his average worth from 2010. I inherit what he was worth August 19, 2011. Truth and accuracy.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-18-2011, 01:31 PM

78 posts, read 103,080 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DC at the Ridge View Post
Very, very funny.

Limbaugh lied. He says that Obama inherited an unemployment rate of 5.8%. When Obama took office, the unemployment rate was not 5.8%. Therefore Limbaugh lied.

And, dear, the salary.com site, it's a link to the BLS site. Redundancy is great in many instances, but not in all. In January 2009, the unemployment rate was 7.6%. It's easily available. Just google it. Or go to Bing. Or navigate the BLS site. Limbaugh lied.

And I think you should really work on your comprehension. Limbaugh wasn't talking about yearly averages, and the only reason someone defending Limbaugh would introduce yearly averages would be in an attempt to spin away Limbaugh's LIE. Obama doesn't inherit the yearly average unemployment rate of 2008. He inherits the unemployment rate the day Bush leaves office and Obama enters office. Just like if my great-grandfather dies tomorrow. I don't inherit his average worth from 2010. I inherit what he was worth August 19, 2011. Truth and accuracy.
Furthermore, anyone with even a cursory understanding of statistics (or common sense) would realize that when the % was going up every single month, an average of the year is in no way a plausible predictor for (or even relevant to the discussion of) the first month of the next year.

Old 08-18-2011, 01:31 PM

5,562 posts, read 5,684,460 times
I would suggest one thing they took the average of the 2008 year and came up with 5.7 % of which not the the correct way to show the number.

Old 08-18-2011, 01:33 PM

12,373 posts, read 13,197,819 times
The Limbaugh Institute of Learning sure taught their students well....in lying that is!

Old 08-18-2011, 01:33 PM

44,882 posts, read 33,280,580 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by meson View Post
I do....watch....
Thanks for that site that allowed me to see so much of The Ed Show, since I never watch that channel. I don't have something like Media Matters to help me know about like you did about Beck. You keep on doing favors, please.

Old 08-18-2011, 01:42 PM

44,882 posts, read 33,280,580 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by meson View Post
The Limbaugh Institute of Learning sure taught their students well....in lying that is!
Damn, am I glad a prog started this thread. I didn't hear Limbaugh say that one so would never have known it without the help of you progs.

I do think that this thread has lasted several posts longer than it should have but then once lefties get a chance to scream they aren't about to back off.

Old 08-18-2011, 01:56 PM

42,732 posts, read 29,889,770 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by roysoldboy View Post
Damn, am I glad a prog started this thread. I didn't hear Limbaugh say that one so would never have known it without the help of you progs.

I do think that this thread has lasted several posts longer than it should have but then once lefties get a chance to scream they aren't about to back off.
And give some conservatives an opening to make disparaging remarks, and they will certainly do so. Even when the disparaging remark adds nothing to the discussion.

Old 08-18-2011, 02:00 PM

12,373 posts, read 13,197,819 times
Ed Shultz challenges Limbaugh and Hannity to issue an apology....good luck with that Ed!

Old 08-18-2011, 02:17 PM

14,810 posts, read 16,211,393 times
Quote:
Please don't. I enjoy your posts.

I don't think that an argument about the media and its credibility is part of the food fight between Left and Right. I think it's an important argument, and always has been an important argument. While many people think that the media in the past was some sort of honorable fourth estate that steadfastly stuck to the truth, we've always had bias in the media, and we've always had rags in the business that didn't care about the truth. But modern technology doesn't just enable misinformation to be broadcast much more widely, I think that to some degree modern technology has helped to create a market for misinformation. And that's why it's important to utilize modern technology to fight misinformation. The truth does matter.
Thanks, DC. I'm glad that someone out there on the other side of the fence can read something from a rightie and not get their panties in a wad.

I will agree with you up to a point: Lies should be exposed. However, I place a greater importance on exposing the blatant, egregious, widely seen (or heard) lies e.g "I did not have sex with that woman", than I do a passing comment from Limbaugh or Hannity that will be forgotten in a few days. If they--or anyone--keep repeating the same misinformation over and over again until it has become embedded in the public consciousness, then it becomes important to call them on it. Otherwise, I think it is little more than nitpicking.

In this particular instance, there are larger questions in my mind: Since it the same die hard lefties who keep starting these kinds of threads over and over again, and since I flat out do not believe they are personally monitoring every single Limbaugh or Hannity broadcast, WHERE ARE THEY GETTING THEIR INFORMATION AND WHO IS TELLING THEM TO START THESE THREADS? Are they political shills being paid to keep the information front and center on political forums like this one? Many of these posters have brief, 3-4 line posts of little substance. Are they being paid so much for each post and so much for every thread they start?

These are not unreasonable questions. Financial boards have paid bashers and pumpers for particular stocks. It is not out of the realm of possibility that liberal organizations have leftist political shills doing the same thing. (Same could be said for conservatives organizations, I suppose.)

For the record, I do not believe you to be one. Your posts have too much substance to them.

Last edited by Cunucu Beach; 08-18-2011 at 02:51 PM..

Old 08-18-2011, 02:25 PM

29,407 posts, read 22,014,226 times
Quote:
Very, very funny.

I took the first three different links I came too. 5.8 seems about the number. Now if the OP's link had provided the entire commentary we may know if limbaugh was talking about the year of '08 or month or whatever. No a one sentence quote that is twisted into some huge lie. Twist away.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies