Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-31-2011, 06:25 AM

10,449 posts, read 12,465,624 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by AONE View Post
Well for those that are ready to hang those that molest, be prepared fro who you may find.
Often family members
often juveniles

There are some interesting statistics,...

Pedophile and Child Molester Statistics - Yello Dyno
I don't think people in general realize that most child molesters aren't strangers hiding behind the bushes near metro stops at 2 o'clock in the morning. Most child abusers are people the victim knows such as parents, step-parents, teachers, caretakers, older siblings, older cousins, friends of family, or other influential people in the child's life. And most of the time, the abuse itself happens in the child's own home. This isn't to say that we should be more lenient or forgiving of someone who has already abused a child, but we should keep in mind what kind of effect "kill them!" would have on society. Issuing the death penalty to child molesters would, for many people, mean killing off relatives or longtime "friends". And while to me and many people it's obvious that I would no longer want to be with someone I found out had molested a child (whether friend or spouse or other family/friend) I know people personally who, despite finding out they had abused a child, still wanted to continue a relationship with their spouse/friend/family member/etc. A lot of people plainly deny it. There have been fights among people I know very well and personally over "whether X really did it or not". I think the death penalty would tear families apart. On the other hand, I think families and friends of perpetrators would be able to more easily reconcile the idea of the perpetrator being sent to prison for life or some sort of camp far away from society. Just to be clear, I am not sympathizing with the perpetrator here. I DO think that perpetrators need to be sent to prison or to a faraway camp that may or may not have some sort of built-in rehab. I am, however, pointing out that a lot of these perpetrators have friends and family, and they would suffer from the effects of the death penalty even more than the perpetrators themselves.

Last edited by nimchimpsky; 08-31-2011 at 06:38 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-31-2011, 06:27 AM

17,842 posts, read 14,389,418 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nimchimpsky View Post
Raping a child is part of child molestation. A lot of child molesters rape their targets.
Agreed Nim. There is quite a lot of information about pedophilia/child molestation readily available from reputable sources.

GuynTexas seems to prefer to just make it up as he goes along. When you have enough people spreading misinformation like he does, it just makes it easier for child molestors to get away with it, because people are looking in thre wrong direction for perpetrators. Frankly, I think it's incredibly irresponsible.

Old 08-31-2011, 06:40 AM

25,947 posts, read 24,752,932 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GuyNTexas View Post
First, there are no definitive answers for why anyone does anything they do. This is psycho-babble nonsense coming from a psycho-psychiatric establishment who don't understand the causes of aberrant behavior anymore than you or I do. Perhaps it's just a fact of life that a certain percentage of people are bad apples? I don't know .... what I do know is that the first order of business is to protect ourselves, and our children from criminals by whatever means necessary. That's our responsibility ... to protect the innocent, not rehabilitate the guilty, especially when such an effort places more innocents in potential jeopardy.

I understand the concept of prevention through understanding cause and effect ... but the reality is, this is nothing new ... there have been countless "psychological" experts studying criminal behavior for decades and they are no closer to finding a cause and a cure for such crimes now than when they began. Consequently, it's rather foolish to anticipate an eminent breakthrough is just around the corner.

The fact is, modern treatments for mental illness is almost exclusively tied to the use of psychotropic drugs which actually cause increases in aggressive and violent tendencies. This is like taking an antacid that causes heartburn. So who's fooling who here with this farce of "Treatment" ? At best, these treatments are ineffective, and there is a building body of evidence that suggests such efforts are counterproductive, and causing increased harm.

What are you suggesting here? That it's more important for a father to remain the family breadwinner than it is to stop him from molesting his children?

When it comes to child molesters caught, you damned right the answer is at least incarceration. They are predators and they represent a threat, and must be segregated from the rest of society for which they will continue to victimize if they aren't.

You're really losing me here. The problem is with the pedophile and their unnatural attraction to children, not opportunity. Normal people aren't attracted to children ... and normal parents don't abuse and victimize their children, they protect them by any means necessary.

There are a lot of sociopathic types in the world ... some data suggests that 1 in 10 people are sociopaths. And they come in all shapes and sizes ... with a lot of disguises.

What needs to be "understood" is how best to recognize them, and prevent them from contact with children.
I am not a big fan of psy-disciplines myself, but I don't think things are as simple as you put them, either. I don't believe in bad apples.
I don't think there will ever be a real cure for crimes. Humans are too complex, even chimps show similar behaviors. Humans do have ugly sides, some show them. others manage to keep them under control. So, impulse control is very important. And that is one aspect where psychology and medicine can help.
There is a project at the renowned Berlin Charite hospital, that aims at preventing potential pedophiles and child abusers from becoming offenders in the first place. There is a wiki page on it, unfortunately only in German.
There are millions of child abusers in the US alone, you want to lock them all away? Since there are various degrees and forms of pedophilia, wouldn't it make sense to try and separate the severe cases from the not so severe cases and subject these offenders to therapy? I mean, even if you lock them away, they will get out of jail sooner or later anyway.

I guess one of the problems with this topic is that unlike murder pedophilia is a mix of crime and mental illness, whereby the weighting of either varies quite a bit from case to case.

Since you mention "normal" people, one cannot lock people away for not being normal. Society is full of psychopaths, but as long as they are not criminals, they will continue to live among us.

Old 08-31-2011, 07:16 AM

17,842 posts, read 14,389,418 times
Quote:
First, there are no definitive answers for why anyone does anything they do. This is psycho-babble nonsense coming from a psycho-psychiatric establishment who don't understand the causes of aberrant behavior anymore than you or I do.
This from a poster who linked to a video rant from a "Church" of Scientology "medical advisor" to support his opinions against the so-called "psycho-psychiatric establishment"? Oh please.

You either belong to the cult of the Church of Scientology yourself, or you just didn't bother to check the validity of your source first because it conveniently supported your own conspiracy theories.

Do you even realise why Scientologists are always ranting against Psychiatry? Money. They want to scam people to pay out a lot of good money for their "psychobabble" nonsense invented by Science Fiction writer L Ron Hubbard.

"Auditing" with an E-meter for "thetans"?

Quote:
A Body Thetan is an alien thetan who is "stuck" in, on or near a human body, and all human bodies are said to be covered in these misplaced thetans, or clusters of them. This information is not divulged until a Scientologist reaches the third Operating Thetan level (or OT III). Most Body Thetans were said by Hubbard to be a result of a prehistoric "Incident" involving Xenu, as well as other similar alien occurrences on the whole track
Thetan - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Quote:
What needs to be "understood" is how best to recognize them, and prevent them from contact with children.
I suggest you find more reliable and reputable sources then instead of irresponsibly spreading your misinformed opinions.

Old 08-31-2011, 08:50 AM

12,711 posts, read 13,485,034 times
Everyone who has even a passing desire to be informed on the subject needs to read Eric Lotke's well-sourced article. (I assure you, it isn't a sophomoric waste of time like the site Guy provided as 'evidence' for his assertions.)

Politics and Irrelevance

Old 08-31-2011, 11:15 AM

18,161 posts, read 15,638,146 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nimchimpsky View Post
I don't think people in general realize that most child molesters aren't strangers hiding behind the bushes near metro stops at 2 o'clock in the morning. Most child abusers are people the victim knows such as parents, step-parents, teachers, caretakers, older siblings, older cousins, friends of family, or other influential people in the child's life. And most of the time, the abuse itself happens in the child's own home. This isn't to say that we should be more lenient or forgiving of someone who has already abused a child, but we should keep in mind what kind of effect "kill them!" would have on society. Issuing the death penalty to child molesters would, for many people, mean killing off relatives or longtime "friends". And while to me and many people it's obvious that I would no longer want to be with someone I found out had molested a child (whether friend or spouse or other family/friend) I know people personally who, despite finding out they had abused a child, still wanted to continue a relationship with their spouse/friend/family member/etc. A lot of people plainly deny it. There have been fights among people I know very well and personally over "whether X really did it or not". I think the death penalty would tear families apart. On the other hand, I think families and friends of perpetrators would be able to more easily reconcile the idea of the perpetrator being sent to prison for life or some sort of camp far away from society. Just to be clear, I am not sympathizing with the perpetrator here. I DO think that perpetrators need to be sent to prison or to a faraway camp that may or may not have some sort of built-in rehab. I am, however, pointing out that a lot of these perpetrators have friends and family, and they would suffer from the effects of the death penalty even more than the perpetrators themselves.
Yes...absolutely. Most molesters/abusers are indeed family or some association and far to often the "dirty secret" is kept within those same confines. That was certainly the case with my experience. To me, that fact makes the crime all the more repulsive. In my particular case, upon being made aware of this creeps....predilictions...and the severity and depths of his depravity I was almost consumed with rage and disgust. Then...of all things...I was supposed to be on board with "keeping the secret"!! It seems that my mate felt I should know about her personal Hell...in keeping with our level of intimacy, but somehow felt obligated to "protect" the family by silence. This was something I could not do...as this beast was not going to be allowed access to my children and found out he was now dealing with a predator stalking him. A watchful and deadly animal such as his imagination could not grasp. His reign of terror was over. Regardless of family affiliation, these rodents must NOT be granted a pass.
This particular individuals methodology and depravity was beyond belief....and even though he is dead and dust leaves wounds that still are not healed. Oh...how I wanted to kill him! No problem with the thought at all. Would have slept like a baby after too. However...the look of absolute terror on his face when I told him I knew what he was...and what I WOULD do were he to ever set foot in MY house was almost as satisfying. Az I have related...he died of cancer ...a pathetic and shriveled shell that, in my mind was his true self ....like he had been turned inside out for all the world to see him for what he really was.
Such ...things...hiding within a family is far more frightening and disgusting than the image of the creep in the bushes at 2 AM. Because the fact that they are family causes so much suffering to happen in silence.

Old 08-31-2011, 11:28 AM

25,947 posts, read 24,752,932 times
As odd as it sounds, one problem is that many children don't even know that what those adults do is wrong. Since it is a taboo to talk about those things, nobody ever told them that it is wrong and that they have the right not to be touched or whatever in that way. In other words, it is also a matter of emancipation. Since the vast majority of the offenders are male, maybe it would be good if mothers carefully told their children that there are people like that, and that they should tell them whenever anyone touches them the wrong way.

Old 08-31-2011, 11:32 AM

32,816 posts, read 19,496,494 times
as long as its proven....I say public castrations

Old 08-31-2011, 11:43 AM

2,526 posts, read 3,052,917 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by workingclasshero View Post
as long as its proven....I say public castrations

How would you address female offenders?

Old 08-31-2011, 11:48 AM

18,161 posts, read 15,638,146 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Neuling View Post
As odd as it sounds, one problem is that many children don't even know that what those adults do is wrong. Since it is a taboo to talk about those things, nobody ever told them that it is wrong and that they have the right not to be touched or whatever in that way. In other words, it is also a matter of emancipation. Since the vast majority of the offenders are male, maybe it would be good if mothers carefully told their children that there are people like that, and that they should tell them whenever anyone touches them the wrong way.
Such is the trend. My children were so made aware as soon as they were old enough to understand. There are many schools that have programs aimed at awareness and prevention...though I find many of them lacking. There IS an issue with distinction sometimes that does lead to false accusations and sometimes, even worse, these accusations are made by vengeful spouses as means to an end in divorce and custody cases. This is an issue that, to me, is almost as heinous a crime as molestation and abuse itself. To tar an honest, loving, father thus because two people cannot co habitate is just wrong.....and it do happen far to often.
Nevertheless, we owe it to our kids to teach them how not to be a victim, and if God forbid, they are, not to suffer in silence. To not let stigma and guilt over what is not their fault keep them locked in a private Hell.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies