Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-28-2011, 08:27 AM

20,948 posts, read 19,078,247 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by maja View Post
Or how about this?

Catholic Culture : Library : Child Molestation by Homosexuals and Heterosexuals

"... a number of studies performed over a period spanning more than half a century — many of which were performed by homosexuals or their sympathizers— have shown that an extremely large percentage of sexually active homosexuals also participate in child sexual molestation."

"This is not "homophobia" or "hatred," this is simple scientific fact."

"In a 1992 study published in the Journal of Sex and Marital Therapy, sex researchers K. Freud and R. I. Watson found that homosexual males are three times more likely than straight men to engage in pedophilia, and that the average pedophile victimizes between 20 and 150 boys before being arrested."

Many more studies are found in this linked article.
Scientific studies only matter to the left when they support their agenda.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-28-2011, 09:37 AM

18,161 posts, read 15,657,856 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by djacques View Post
Here's what's wrong with what you are saying: you are tacitly acknowledging that there might be ways to treat a pedophile so that he refrains from offending, then saying that your estimate of said person depends on whether he's had the good luck to run across someone with the skills to provide that treatment; if he hasn't, it's his own fault and can be demonized in the usual manner.

That makes even less sense than NV's foaming-at-the-mouth comments; they aren't intelligent, but at least they are consistent.
Get over yourself DJ. This " intelligence" thing is getting a tad over ripe. I have made perfectly plain the why's of my opinion on this issue and your continued flag waving over your own self described intelligence is non sequiter.
The core issue being the "normalization" , which is read as " acceptance" of sexual attraction to and sex with children is not a topic that needs any rationalizing. Its not overly difficult for me to.be consistent in my views about child sex abusers and whether you, personally, think that there is no intellect behind my opinion matters not at all.
I will admit, however, that I do not expend a great deal of mental energy on the issue. No need to. Some things can be solved with instinct better than intellect.
Lmao.....I see a cherry pick coming. Takes rapier intellect to do that.

Old 08-28-2011, 09:41 AM

12,711 posts, read 13,496,495 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NVplumber View Post
I will admit, however, that I do not expend a great deal of mental energy on the issue. No need to. Some things can be solved with instinct better than intellect.
If you view yourself as a wild animal, perhaps. Some of us choose a different path in life.

Old 08-28-2011, 10:03 AM

1,738 posts, read 2,081,444 times
Quote:
Yes. Some of us do not find higher-level thought unfamiliar, do have concern for our fellow citizens, and would like to better understand why people do what they do. You are not obliged to do that and clearly don't want to, but if so you ought to quit pretending you have any insight to offer.
It never occurs to some people, that finding out the"why" of it may allow us at some point to stop that kind of thing from ever developing.
As it is now, we only know (generally) after the fact

Old 08-28-2011, 10:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nimchimpsky View Post
My life was turned around. I was sexually abused for years on end by men and women. I had PTSD my whole childhood, with years where it would get so severe my psychiatrists wanted to hospitalize me. I am hardly approaching this from a purely intellectual standpoint.

I still think pedophiles are humans that need some level of understanding. Do I think offending is justified? No. But do pedophiles need an option to channel their attractions in a healthy way that does not harm children? Yes. That saves children from becoming victims. Why is that such a sickening viewpoint?
I agree, I was also sexually abused as a child. I have found forgiveness and even some compassion for the guy who did it. And, thru that, I have found healing..because I have my power now.
At any rate, these people have families, who often love them, and they are victims too. If nothing else, we should have respect for the loved ones, enough not to be so hateful.

Old 08-28-2011, 10:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nimchimpsky View Post
They denied it for years. They finally acknowledged it when I was 19. PM me if you want me to go into it more. I just don't want to go too off-topic.

I know it's hard for a lot of parents and victims because the pain runs so deep. But it's important to remember that pedophiles are human, and most of them aren't child abusers. Wouldn't it benefit everyone in the end if pedophiles were given another option for their sexuality that doesn't involve violating children? Even if that requires compassion?
I agree

Old 08-28-2011, 01:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by faeryedark View Post
I agree, I was also sexually abused as a child. I have found forgiveness and even some compassion for the guy who did it. And, thru that, I have found healing..because I have my power now.
At any rate, these people have families, who often love them, and they are victims too. If nothing else, we should have respect for the loved ones, enough not to be so hateful.
I will hand it to you and nim. You have some impressive qualities that I don't have. Yet, though I find your ability to forgive thus quite impressive, I cannot find that in myself.
Maybe I spent so much time hating I just can't feel anything else when it comes to this. Its a rather long story how things ended up like this. I touched on it a little but it goes wayyyy deeper.
This subject wakes up demons in me, rage, hate, frustration, guilt even. For not having been somewhere I couldn't even be. Im glad you and jim have managed to move on like you have. Its too late for me. I will carry this rage with me for the rest of my life. I just don't know anything else......

Old 08-28-2011, 03:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NVplumber View Post
I will hand it to you and nim. You have some impressive qualities that I don't have. Yet, though I find your ability to forgive thus quite impressive, I cannot find that in myself.
Maybe I spent so much time hating I just can't feel anything else when it comes to this. Its a rather long story how things ended up like this. I touched on it a little but it goes wayyyy deeper.
This subject wakes up demons in me, rage, hate, frustration, guilt even. For not having been somewhere I couldn't even be. Im glad you and jim have managed to move on like you have. Its too late for me. I will carry this rage with me for the rest of my life. I just don't know anything else......
I'm sorry that you and yours have been hurt that deeply. Every situation and person is unique.
For me, I am able to seperate out what was done to me by my abuser, as a just a part of that whole person. Looking back, (and after speaking to his younger brother) I know that he,himself had been abused (sexually and physically) ...not an excuse certainly, but perhaps a reason to some degree.
I remember my abuse, but I also remember other things, good things, like after a bicycle accident, where I'd flipped my bike, and landed nearly on my head, it was him who was working nearby who came running, and calmed me, telling me to not move, and ran to a neighbor's to call my parents and 911.
While I think there are some out there who are truly monsterous, I think most are just screwed up.
I feel for their families and loved ones. Maybe cos I have a loved one who was falsely accused on the SO registry. But, I often read, how the families get harrassed. Their children who may or may not have been the victim, get teased in school, and get to hear comments of, "your daddy's a cho-mo, and needs to die cos he's a monster." Or the mother gets to hear that of her son.
There's a lot more victims that just the obvious ones...and often it's society lending a hand in that victimization.

Old 08-28-2011, 06:08 PM

Quote:
If you view yourself as a wild animal, perhaps. Some of us choose a different path in life.
There is.no evil in a wild animal. No deception,no selfishness or self pity. A wild animal does not torture or abuse for pleasure and would lay down its life to protect its mate and young without hesitation.
To me, comparison to a wild animal is the highest of compliments.

Old 08-28-2011, 08:12 PM

3,388 posts, read 3,908,573 times
Quote:
Here's what's wrong with what you are saying: you are tacitly acknowledging that there might be ways to treat a pedophile so that he refrains from offending, then saying that your estimate of said person depends on whether he's had the good luck to run across someone with the skills to provide that treatment; if he hasn't, it's his own fault and can be demonized in the usual manner.

That makes even less sense than NV's foaming-at-the-mouth comments; they aren't intelligent, but at least they are consistent.
Hmm, have to disagree with you there. What you may call inconsistent, I may call nuanced.

What I am saying is that currently there are no known effective treatments for pedophilia. Period.

In order to develop effective treatments in the future, the scientific community needs to be able develop and evaluate these hypothetical treatments with a population of pedophiles. I am all for trying to find a way to prevent offenses. To that end, I think efforts to attempt to develop a treatment that works are useful.

Good luck has nothing to do with anything. It doesn't matter how fantastic the therapist's skills - if there's not yet an effective treatment, which there's not.

I am not for demonizing anyone, but I also have no sympathy for anyone (pedophile or otherwise) who preys upon children.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies