Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-27-2011, 12:22 AM

2,046 posts, read 1,575,495 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by SLCPUNK View Post
Right, you guys all say that. The reality is these programs work and the overwhelming majority of Americans love these programs. The 'baggers talk about getting rid of them, and then get their arse chewed out by their constituents when they get home for a reason. Just like them, when it's all said and done you'll be picking up your social security check and enjoying the benefit of Medicare just like the seniors before you.

So get real.
its a ponzi scam we are part of the people who are still getting payed but the time is coming when there will not be anything left for those after us. every year we borrow 40cents on the dollar. I like to know how is that possible. is money an infinite thing for liberals! do they think printing money like they are doing is a good thing. borrow a trillion print a trillion. we have as a nation a spending problem no doubt in my mind.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-27-2011, 12:47 AM

769 posts, read 1,013,865 times
i once saw a guy ranting at one of the tea party rallies with a sign saying "KEEP GOVERNMENT OUT OF MEDICARE"

Old 08-27-2011, 12:49 AM

69,368 posts, read 64,143,658 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stonecypher5413 View Post
Most Important Excerpt: If you ever drank a beer or a glass of wine without being thrown in jail, thank a liberal.

"Liberal policies made America the freest, wealthiest, most successful and most powerful nation in human history. Conservatism in power always threatens to undo that national progress, and is almost always frustrated by the innate decency and democratic instincts of the American people..."
The stupidity of americans is utterly astounding.

We have an inherant right in the USA to destroy our own body if we wish, unless there is a law which removes that right. I dont need to thank someone for NOT removing the right to drink a beer or a glass of whine

Old 08-27-2011, 12:59 AM

Quote:
6. The Clean Water Act, first enacted under Truman in 1948
I love postings like this which puts american ignorance on display.

This bill in particular was passed by a GOP House, and a GOP Senate. I'm not going through all of the items on this list because there is no need to further embarass you.

Old 08-27-2011, 01:03 AM

Quote:
They wouldn't be if the GOP was willing to pay their bills rather than being dead beats. Also are you claiming the Clean Water Act, The Civil Rights Act, Minimum Wage, and FMLA are bankrupting us?
Wait, the tea party is requesting that we pay our bills, and you call them terrorists

Old 08-27-2011, 08:05 AM

8,420 posts, read 7,425,009 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pghquest View Post
Wait, the tea party is requesting that we pay our bills, and you call them terrorists
REALLY? The Tea Party, by refusing to raise the debt limit to borrow more money to pay for the things that congress already purchased, believes that's how one pays ones bills?

I'll just have to tell Visa, Mastercard and American Express that I refuse to pay my credit card payments for goods and services that I already purchased because I'm trying to be fiscally responsible.

I'd have a lot more respect for the tea party if their congressmen and senators fought their fiscal battles hardest when the budgets were being crafted and not when the bills for those budgets came due.

Old 08-27-2011, 09:04 AM

33,387 posts, read 34,858,743 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by djmilf View Post
REALLY? The Tea Party, by refusing to raise the debt limit to borrow more money to pay for the things that congress already purchased, believes that's how one pays ones bills?

I'll just have to tell Visa, Mastercard and American Express that I refuse to pay my credit card payments for goods and services that I already purchased because I'm trying to be fiscally responsible.

I'd have a lot more respect for the tea party if their congressmen and senators fought their fiscal battles hardest when the budgets were being crafted and not when the bills for those budgets came due.
so in other words you recommend that we open up another line of credit so we can pay the old lines of credit.........hmmmm, i wonder how that would go over with your personal creditors.

Old 08-27-2011, 09:57 AM

59,111 posts, read 27,349,464 times
Quote:
Gee, I wish I could watch the facial reactions of CERTAIN MEMBERS here on C-D when they read this article!

18 Reasons to Thank a Liberal: A Partial List of Liberal Achievements; 1935-2010 | Addicting Info (http://www.addictinginfo.org/2011/08/26/18-reasons-to-thank-a-liberal-a-partial-list-of-liberal-achievements-1935-2010/ - broken link)

Here's just eight of the historical reasons:

1. The 8-hour workday, overtime pay, and the federal minimum wage (Fair Labor Standards Act, 1938)

2. The G.I. Bill of Rights, first enacted in 1944 under FDR

3. The Civil Rights Act of 1964, enacted under Lyndon B. Johnson

4. The Social Security Act, enacted for limited recipients in 1935 under FDR and expanded under Harry Truman and LBJ

5. Medicare,
which provides greatly subsidized health care to retirees

6. The Clean Water Act, first enacted under Truman in 1948

7. The Family and Medical Leave Act of 1993 (signed into law under Bill Clinton)

8. The Rural Electrification Act of 1936 (FDR)

So thank a Liberal today if your head didn't explode -- and maybe add a hug. Liberals need love, too!
You should read from your own sites before posting and making yourself look like a fool.

"The bill came before the full Senate for debate on March 30, 1964 and the "Southern Bloc" of 18 southern Democratic Senators and one Republican Senator led by Richard Russell (D-GA) launched a filibuster to prevent its passage.[6] Said Russell: "We will resist to the bitter end any measure or any movement which would have a tendency to bring about social equality and intermingling and amalgamation of the races in our (Southern) states."[7]"

The dems tried to stop it and it would not have passed without the repubs voting for it and you want to claim this shows the liberals did a good thing.
By party

The original House version:[12]
  • Democratic Party: 152-96 (61%-39%)
  • Republican Party: 138-34 (80%-20%)
Cloture in the Senate:[13]
  • Democratic Party: 44-23 (66%–34%)
  • Republican Party: 27-6 (82%–18%)
The Senate version:[12]
  • Democratic Party: 46-21 (69%–31%)
  • Republican Party: 27-6 (82%–18%)
The Senate version, voted on by the House:[12]
  • Democratic Party: 153-91 (63%–37%)
  • Republican Party: 136-35 (80%–20%)

Looks like a larger percentage of repubs voted in favor then dems
"You can't reason with an unreasonable person."

Old 08-27-2011, 10:23 AM

Quote:
They wouldn't be if the GOP acted like adults, rather than corporate stooges who don't like to pay their bills while starting two unfunded wars at the same time.

There seems to be a disconnect with you people in regards to what fiscal responsibility really means. The rhetoric is much different than the reality, something you guys avoid like the plague.
Do some of you ever get tired of posting the same lies over and over even after being shown they are lies. Some people never learn.

Who is acting like an adult now? Certainly not you.

Corporate stooges? Are you that naive to believe the dems are not in the same boat as the repubs?

Fiscal responsibility? Pleae enlighten us on where the current admin has shown ANY fiscal responsibility.

What was the debt/deficit under Bush? What is it now?

You are the one ignoring reality.

Dem's who voted FOR the wars:
Baucus (D-MT)
Bayh (D-IN)
Biden (D-DE) Current VP
Breaux (D-LA)
Cantwell (D-WA)
Carnahan (D-MO)
Carper (D-DE)
Cleland (D-GA)
Clinton (D-NY) Current Sec of state (Labeled Smartest women in the world by many lefties)
Daschle (D-SD) Leader of the Senate at the time
Dodd (D-CT)
Dorgan (D-ND)
Edwards (D-NC) Ran for VP
Feinstein (D-CA)
Harkin (D-IA)
Hollings (D-SC)
Johnson (D-SD)
Kerry (D-MA) Ran for Pres.
Kohl (D-WI)
Landrieu (D-LA)
Lieberman (D-CT) Ran for Pres.
Lincoln (D-AR)
Miller (D-GA)
Nelson (D-FL)
Nelson (D-NE)
Reid (D-NV) Current leader of the Senate
Rockefeller (D-WV)
Schumer (D-NY)
Torricelli (D-NJ)

You can try to ignore the facts all you want but, it won't change the truth.

They voted for the action AND funded the actions

The dems continually voted extending the funding.

Even after Obama took office, the dems voted to extend the funding.

If you can prove otherwise I'll be waiting.

Old 08-27-2011, 10:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by djmilf View Post

Your premise is wrong.

We have enough money to pay our debts. The ceiling was raised so we could keep the gov't running by borrowing billions every month.

There is no reason why cuts in gov't should not take place in order to REDUCE what we have to borrow.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies