Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-08-2011, 01:45 PM

3,457 posts, read 3,623,920 times

Advertisements

so they destroyed property and threatened a policeman, but no one was arrested?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-08-2011, 01:57 PM

2,974 posts, read 1,984,679 times
...where's woody guthrie when ya need 'em.....lol!!!!

Old 09-08-2011, 01:59 PM

44,882 posts, read 33,274,487 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 70Ford View Post
Longshoremen shut down Washington ports - US news - Crime & courts - msnbc.com

Hundreds of Longshoremen stormed the Port of Longview early Thursday, overpowered and held security guards, damaged railroad cars, and dumped grain that is the center of a labor dispute, said Longview Police Chief Jim Duscha.

On Thursday, six guards were held hostage for a couple of hours after 500 or more Longshoremen broke down Longview gates about 4:30 a.m. PT (7:30 a.m. ET) and smashed windows in the guard shack, he said.

No one was hurt, and nobody has been arrested.

Yeah...because being taken hostage after a mob breaks down your gate and windows is just another day of "meh."
It seems that that union makes its own laws concerning assault and battery. They threatened one police sergeant with baseball bats and that is considered assault in the courts. I bet they used them on the other union mentioned and that is battery. It really is something that even though the NLRB failed to side with them they still think they have a right to destroy railroad equipment and grain because they are a union.

Anyone who reads this story and can't see how unions will use force and destructive acts to get their way is surely a far left leaner.

Old 09-08-2011, 02:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TempesT68 View Post
Repost X 120234000000000000000000
Now that you have demonstrated your ability to type run on numbers how about telling us how many times that is. I don't believe I ever saw this topic discussed here before. Maybe that was on one of your other forums.

Old 09-08-2011, 02:01 PM

17,401 posts, read 11,978,162 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EdwardA View Post
I feared this would happen. Elements of Obama's base are going to become more violent as Election Day approaches.
No, no, no. Hoffa was only talking about "taking them out" at the voting booth, doncha know.

Old 09-08-2011, 02:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cunucu Beach View Post
Those peaceful union members did this??? No. I'm shocked.
The fact that no arrests were made tells me a lot about the situation in Washington state that I hate to hear about any place.

Old 09-08-2011, 02:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnPaul View Post
Seem like nice enough folk to me, whats holding people hostage against their will between friends

No one was hurt, and nobody has been arrested. Most of the protesters returned to their union hall after cutting brake lines and spilling grain from car at the EGT terminal, Duscha said.

The International Longshore and Warehouse Union believes it has the right to work at the facility, but the company has hired a contractor that's staffing a workforce of other union laborers.

Thursday's violence was first reported by Kelso radio station KLOG.

Police from several agencies in southwest Washington, the Washington State Patrol and Burlington Northern Santa Fe responded to the violence to secure the scene that followed a demonstration Wednesday.

"We're not surprised," Duscha said. "A lot of the protesters were telling us this in only the start."

One sergeant was threatened with baseball bats and retreated, Duscha said. "One officer with hundreds of Longshoremen? He used the better part of discretion."

The train was the first grain shipment to arrive at Longview. It arrived Wednesday night after police arrested 19 demonstrators who tried to block the tracks. They were led by ILWU International President Robert McEllrath, who said they would return.

The blockade appeared to defy a federal restraining order issued last week against the union after it was accused of assaults and death threats.

Tensions rise in Longview after guards held 'hostage' in labor dispute | Business | Eugene News, Weather, Sports, Breaking News | KVAL CBS 13

Anyone notice a trend
So if I protest getting groped by a TSA agent, I'll be arrested on the spot. But if I hold someone hostage, break onto private property, destroy property and threaten authority, I get to go back to my man cave and chill.

Got it.

Old 09-08-2011, 02:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gurbie View Post
The history of the Labor Movement in this country has been a long and bloody fight for workers' rights. If the workers didn't stand up for themselves, they'd get mowed down (they HAVE been mowed down. Look up Ludlow, Col.)

The Capitalists, and their Statist armed forcess, insist on having a monoply when it comes to using violence. At least, you can be assured any union member who dares to break the law will be arrested and jailed if caught. The same doesn't go for the company goons, cops, and National Guard troops, who use violence with impunity against strikers and demonstrators.

If the cause is just, the People HAVE to have the will and the courage to fight back.

I feel encouraged when I see stories like this, of private sector unions
demonstrating that they are not going to take a f#$%ing lying down. It tells me the Movement is still alive and kicking!

There is hope for this country yet!
Thank you - proving without a shadow of a doubt that the left loves violence, and that they are the true enemies of america.

Big difference between not taking it lying down and being criminals. But hey, they're unions. We all KNOW they're a bunch of criminals.

Old 09-08-2011, 02:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnPaul View Post
This is a union fighting against a union, in case you didn't bother to read it.
I read it and what I saw was a union fighting against an employer who wanted to use a different union. The only destruction was to the employer's vehicles and their grain.

You can look at this one from the right, left or middle and when you see what you say I think you are standing a bit left of that middle I mentioned.

Old 09-08-2011, 02:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sanrene View Post
Ok, this is hilarious and PROOF of the violence of the unions.

Scroll down about half way - look at the agreement.

Labor army goes to war in Longview « Hot Air

This is in a settlement document from 2003;

The union agree they would no longer engage in such behavior.
Well, yeah, but they were in trouble back then and they think that a few years of being good little boys gives them the right to a little violence now and then. The whole bunch should be loaded up and dropped at sea to see if they can swim.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies