Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-25-2011, 09:22 AM

22,923 posts, read 15,497,191 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mackinac81 View Post
Oh please tell me he did not say that. Please,...
I guess his handlers will have an answer ready when he get's pilloried over that one...... Jesus was speaking "spanglish" that day.

Wonder what Jesus's opinion would have been about the use of Grecian Formulae as an indicator of a man's priorities.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-25-2011, 09:26 AM

52 posts, read 28,162 times
So, she's here legally, speaks English and has the same credentials as other teachers but now accents have to go too? rofl I can't imagine why people bring up racism all the time on these boards.

Last edited by Kyusslives; 09-25-2011 at 09:41 AM..

Old 09-25-2011, 09:35 AM

13,285 posts, read 15,310,576 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ergohead View Post
Certification fixes it?
Only funny scene in that movie.

However I didn't claim that "certification fixes it". I was responding to the poster who claimed she was another immigrant who expects others to adapt to her. She clearly put in a lot of effort to learn and improve her English skills

Old 09-25-2011, 09:58 AM

19,226 posts, read 15,326,750 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by filihok View Post
Only funny scene in that movie.

However I didn't claim that "certification fixes it". I was responding to the poster who claimed she was another immigrant who expects others to adapt to her. She clearly put in a lot of effort to learn and improve her English skills
I know.

I was just taking the opportunity to express my contempt at those who rely entirely on "certification" as any sort of qualification.

Certification is constantly attacking tacit knowledge, of which I am a holder.

"While tacit knowledge appears to be simple, it has far reaching consequences and is not widely understood."

Judge Borwick DEMANDED to know where I was educated.

Tacit knowledge - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Last edited by ergohead; 09-25-2011 at 10:34 AM..

Old 09-25-2011, 10:01 AM

15,706 posts, read 11,778,898 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mackinac81 View Post
Oh please tell me he did not say that. Please,...
Lol, I was about to say the exact same thing.. Please tell me Perry is not that dumb.

Although then again, based on how many Conservative Christians claim the KJV or other English translations are the 100% Word of God, I guess I'm not surprised. I would not be surprised to see a decent percentage of people who actually believe it was written in English.

Old 09-25-2011, 10:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by filihok View Post
Let's see.

She learned English and took multiple classes in an attempt to improve her accent. WTF are you talking about?
Yeah, it seems like she made every effort to try and assimilate. I'm not sure I can fault her for that. I'm a language fanatic, but I know that if I went to France or Russia (2 languages I'm trying to learn), I'd have a strong American accent, and would very unlikely be able to develop an authentic French or Russian accent.

Old 09-25-2011, 10:04 AM
LML

7,100 posts, read 9,113,256 times
I doubt there is anyone with a college education who has not had professors with accents so thick you could slice it with a knife.

Old 09-25-2011, 10:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LML View Post
I doubt there is anyone with a college education who has not had professors with accents so thick you could slice it with a knife.
Quite true. I took a French class in college, with an authentic french speaker from Africa, and her accent was so thick I could barely understand her French, let alone English.

Old 09-25-2011, 10:30 AM

4,127 posts, read 5,068,656 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lakeman0 View Post
Having an accent does not mean that the teacher cannot be understood. I have had teacher's in school who have had Brit and french accents, they could be understood quite well, this story seems to be more sensationalized. She had to do an interview for her job and any subsequent interviews, she passed those.
I don't know if I could deal with a teacher who has a British accent teaching my English-speaking kid.

Old 09-25-2011, 10:48 AM

6,391 posts, read 5,169,562 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DrummerBoy View Post
If English was good enough for Jesus, it's good enough for Texas."

My esteemed governor, Rick Perry, when asked whether or not he believed Spanish should be taught in Texas public schools.
That's a lie.

snopes.com: English "good enough for Jesus Christ"

Not sure who said it, but it wasn't Perry. Get your facts straight. They say it WAS however a previous texas governor.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies