Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-26-2011, 10:26 AM

52 posts, read 28,139 times

Advertisements

In case you haven't been around this country, not everyone speaks the same as you. You are basically saying anyone that doesn't have a network standard accent shouldn't be able to teach.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-26-2011, 10:33 AM

3,484 posts, read 2,871,327 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kyusslives View Post
If someone has passed all the tests/qualifications required to teach that language then I don't see why not? Yes, I had teachers with accents in college. Oh noes. I still am lol'ing about the OP's "OMG The teacher was whining!!!!"
Reading comprehension is your friend, dear. She didn't pass. She filed a complaint alleging discrimination because she couldn't meet reasonable state standards:

Quote:
http://www.nytimes.com/2011/09/25/us...ewanted=2&_r=1
It was Ms. Aguayo’s principal and not the state monitors who first questioned her accent and suggested that she join Mr. Krieger’s class, Ms. Aguayo said. Because she was told that state policy forbade her to teach students who were learning English, she has filed a complaint with the federal Equal Employment Opportunity Commission.
This is ridiculous. In the name of political correctness we're being asked to compromise the education of our children. Let her go teach Spanish since she's obviously fluent in that language.

Old 09-26-2011, 10:36 AM

3,484 posts, read 2,871,327 times
Quote:
In case you haven't been around this country, not everyone speaks the same as you. You are basically saying anyone that doesn't have a network standard accent shouldn't be able to teach.
Again reading comprehension is your friend.

What I said was that if she cannot meet the standards in place she has no business teaching. We test English fluency all the time. Or do you find that discriminatory as well? Should we just abolish ANY standards at all and let anyone teach in the public schools?

Our kids should not be sacrificed on the alter of political correctness.

Old 09-26-2011, 10:40 AM

Yeah quote the part of your story where it states she failed any test required to teach including an English proficiency test. Accents, or lack thereof, aren't a requirement to teach anywhere btw which is why:
Quote:
Arizona, recently made a sharp about-face on the issue.A federal investigation of possible civil rights violations prompted the state to call off its accent police.

Old 09-26-2011, 10:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eleanora1 View Post
Our kids should not be sacrificed on the alter of political correctness.
This is hilarious. My best teacher in college was an Indian who I could barely understand for the first 2 weeks. It got easier as the class went on and I asked questions if I didn't understand something. I can honestly say, that person taught me more about the real world situations of my profession than ANY other teacher in my life and despite his accent, he is one of the most intelligent people I know to this day. Sounds to me like someone else is whining. I'm talking about the OP btw.

Old 09-26-2011, 10:47 AM

19,226 posts, read 15,317,471 times
I don't discriminate or nuthin', but if she had a heavy french accent, I'd say keep her on.

I wouldn't mind if my kids came home a little croissant in their expression.

It's those other accents I don't like.

Old 09-26-2011, 10:53 AM

12,755 posts, read 9,644,418 times
Quote:
This is hilarious. My best teacher in college was an Indian who I could barely understand for the first 2 weeks. It got easier as the class went on and I asked questions if I didn't understand something. I can honestly say, that person taught me more about the real world situations of my profession than ANY other teacher in my life and despite his accent, he is one of the most intelligent people I know to this day. Sounds to me like someone else is whining. I'm talking about the OP btw.
One would assume that by the time students gets to college, they have a good grasp of the English language; written and spoken.

Put that same professor in front of a kindergarten or first grade class, and chances are the children will grow up NOT having a good grasp of our language.

Old 09-26-2011, 10:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fox Terrier View Post
One would assume that by the time students gets to college, they have a good grasp of the English language; written and spoken.

Put that same professor in front of a kindergarten or first grade class, and chances are the children will grow up NOT having a good grasp of our language.
Yeah I'm going to need a citation for this string of assumptions. I could argue that the exposure to different cultures and accents makes the children easier able to understand different culture's accents. Kind of like I can understand Indian people with accents just fine but my grandmother who was never exposed to them growing up on a farm, can't understand a thing.

Old 09-26-2011, 11:00 AM

3,078 posts, read 4,374,582 times
The article never said she wasn't fluent. What the article did say was that accents only became relevant once teachers had proven to be fluent.

It does smell that Arizona is the only state that does this. Am I supposed to believe all all 49 other states have English teachers who speak standard American network?

Old 09-26-2011, 11:04 AM

19,226 posts, read 15,317,471 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eleanora1 View Post
Exactly. She's spending eight hours a day with little kids. Part of her job is to model correct pronounciation for them. If she can't she should be fired. It's ridiculous how far too many posters seem to put her needs above the needs of our children.
Agree!

Same goes for Christian or Liberal accents.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies