Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-26-2011, 09:58 AM

15,706 posts, read 11,776,567 times

Advertisements

That is the dumbest support of self-defense I've ever seen. Jesus was a pacifist. End of discussion for anyone who dares call themselves Christian.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-26-2011, 09:59 AM

13,651 posts, read 20,780,689 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ellwood View Post
IMO many parents are too busy to say "no," and parent their children. They are so busy working, buying their kids everything they want, taking them to this sport and that adventure they not only lack parenting skills but are more interested in being friends with their kids. They don't pay attention to what they are doing on the expensive computer in the kids room, they don't really know their kid's friends, and they really don't "know" their kids. Most importantly they are in denial that their kids are bullies.
Well at age 46, I have yet to meet the parents, then or now, who believe their kid is the problem.

With kids/bullies, we are talking about human beings- and young, immature ones at that- with all the requisite imperfection and fallibility.

Bullying is an unfortunate aspect of human nature (Might makes Right). Its always been there and always will be. I doubt it is any better or worse than when I grew up.

Old 09-26-2011, 10:03 AM

988 posts, read 1,203,747 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jambo101 View Post
If it was that easy there'd be no bullies,Most bullies i've run into in life have been bigger,tougher and generally more adept at violence and fighting than the norm of the group
expecting your kid to stand up to bullies is usually a surefire way for him to get the crap beat out of him and empower the bully even more.
Target the genitals.

Quote:
Also how is your kid going to feel after following your advice his reward is epic fail?
You're right. Better he go fetal and cry. Then slink off to mommy, a teacher, or the police. Because that is what real men do.

Quote:
Pimpy i'm wondering if you ever had a problem with a bully as your solutions seem a bit too simplistic eg; what if after you deliver your "tyson Haymaker" the bully just smiles?
I am starting to sound like a broken record. This is why you: Target. The. Genitals.

Quote:
Seeking out the bully to send him to the dirt? kinda makes you the bully dont it? if the bully thought you could accomplish this feat i doubt he'd be bothering you in the first place ..
You got freckles Pimpy?
How can someone being bullied be a bully for fighting back? Do we need to have a remedial review of what a bully is?

And the beauty is that when you do decide to fight back the bully won't see it coming. Pulverize those nads!

How many more people have to share their stories of fighting back against bullies before you will stop with the frothy-mouth womanly hysteria and pacifist wimpery.

Old 09-26-2011, 10:07 AM

3,504 posts, read 3,924,430 times
like i said in my earlier post, make an example of the bully(i do believe it is the family that leads to the bully) and expel him from the district.

i see more people attacking the victim in this thread then the bully.

oh, bullying is always going to be around. theres a difference between playful bullying most of us went through and the mental and physical torture of being told to kill yourself for years by these people you can't get away from.

we know who the bullies are. remove the bullies and the problem is solved.

like i said, make an example of them. remove them from the district, and nobody will be bullying anymore.

that action will get the parents attention.

not every kid wants to fight. it's not a weakness if one doesn't wish to engage in that. imo, you are lowering yourself to there level by engaging in that behavior anyways.

report the bullies, and the school districts need to get set of balls and remove the bullies from the school.

Old 09-26-2011, 10:08 AM

988 posts, read 1,203,747 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fiyero View Post
That is the dumbest support of self-defense I've ever seen. Jesus was a pacifist. End of discussion for anyone who dares call themselves Christian.
I am still waiting for your credentials to speak on such matters.

People who hate Jesus and Christians are not qualified to speak on what Jesus was, said, did, thought, or symbolizes, much less utter his name. And you are certainly not qualified to analyze scriptural support for or against self-defense.

Go crawl back into whatever godless, collectivist wimp hellhole you came from.

Old 09-26-2011, 10:10 AM

9,984 posts, read 10,394,292 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vjsoto View Post
You are speaking of a very specific, very unusual scenario. Most kid's who are bullied do not have access to a "support group" of "like minded" peers that form a self protecting group. In many cases, the bullied kid's friends are alienated because of peer pressure (i.e. they are pressured into laughing at their friend and taking the side of the bully for fear of being bullied themselves). It's in these cases that you have to take a stand for yourself. If you show weakness and back down, the bully perceives weakness and increases the harassment and attacks. Bully's thrive off of fear!
Well yeah most kids don't have a support group like most people don't just have access to money on demand. Those sorts of things have to be build up. It isn't like I didn't do anything and somehow this group poped into existance. I found other people who were bullied, build up a trust based relationship with them and we would stand up for each other. It took a few weeks to sort out the good ones from the shirkers and cowards and yes you do have to stand up for yourself, though that doesn't need to be violent. When I saw sh*t start up with a friend and a bully in the cafeteria I would stand up for my friend and when the bully couldn't isolate him he gave up. Then 2 periods later in computer lab those same friends would do the same for me. I never had to beat anyone up to stop bullying. Now about 90% of my "friends" would never do this for me, and the same is true for the "friends" of these other kids, precisely because of peer pressure, but when you had someone going to bat for you, and your fairweather friends realize they could just pile on to the bully they generally would.

It is amazing what happens when you have 1 or 2 folks who you know will stand up for you and who you will stand up for. Bullies thrive off of fear, but when they lose that they go down faster then Arab dictators.

Last edited by Randomstudent; 09-26-2011 at 10:20 AM..

Old 09-26-2011, 10:20 AM

16,545 posts, read 13,455,215 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnUnidentifiedMale View Post
I'm not sure if kids are more violent now, but there are certainly many more opportunities for bullying now with the internet and all of the social media. It's difficult to escape.

For the tough guys here, how would your son beat up a bully if the bully is online and anonymous?
online bullying is the saddest and sissiest thing to complain about. It's not like being online is a must for survival. Close the damn web browser!

Old 09-26-2011, 10:28 AM

15,912 posts, read 20,201,643 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Randomstudent View Post
Well yeah most kids don't have a support group like most people don't just have access to money on demand. Those sorts of things have to be build up. It isn't like I didn't do anything and somehow this group poped into existance. I found other people who were bullied, build up a trust based relationship with them and we would stand up for each other. It took a few weeks to sort out the good ones from the shirkers and cowards and yes you do have to stand up for yourself, though that doesn't need to be violent. When I saw sh*t start up with a friend and a bully in the cafeteria I would stand up for my friend and when the bully couldn't isolate him he gave up. Then 2 periods later in computer lab those same friends would do the same for me. I never had to beat anyone up to stop bullying. Now about 90% of my "friends" would never do this for me, and the same is true for the "friends" of these other kids, precisely because of peer pressure, but when you had someone going to bat for you, and your fairweather friends realize they could just pile on to the bully they generally would.

It is amazing what happens when you have 1 or 2 folks who you know will stand up for you and who you will stand up for. Bullies thrive off of fear, but when they lose that they go down faster then Arab dictators.
So what you are saying is birds of a feather flock together.....

So what are you saying? You don't go anywhere without your..... friends?

Old 09-26-2011, 10:34 AM

7,814 posts, read 6,393,510 times
Quote:
I take it all those advocating violence in this thread are not actually Christian, or at least don't give a crap about following any of it.

Luke 6: 29 If someone strikes you on one cheek, turn to him the other also. If someone takes your cloak, do not stop him from taking your tunic. 30Give to everyone who asks you, and if anyone takes what belongs to you, do not demand it back. 31Do to others as you would have them do to you.
um they punched you and took your cloak.

Old 09-26-2011, 10:40 AM

1,759 posts, read 2,029,825 times
Quote:
Well, no.
Remember that time when he hauled into the Temple w/ a whip and overturned tables, chasing the moneychangers out?

Quote:
John 2:13-16
English Standard Version (ESV)

13 The Passover of the Jews was at hand, and Jesus went up to Jerusalem. 14 In the temple he found those who were selling oxen and sheep and pigeons, and the money-changers sitting there. 15And making a whip of cords, he drove them all out of the temple, with the sheep and oxen. And he poured out the coins of the money-changers and overturned their tables. 16And he told those who sold the pigeons, "Take these things away; do not make my Father’s house a house of trade."
Jesus knew when to open up a can of whoopa**.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies