Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-27-2011, 02:01 PM

14,483 posts, read 11,285,313 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by tuteishungry View Post
27th st @ 10th Av?
Well actually you were in the ghetto. Did you notice the brick buildings across the street. Those are the Chelsea housing projects.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-27-2011, 02:14 PM

6,137 posts, read 4,862,292 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Joshua View Post
27th st @ 10th Av?
Well actually you were in the ghetto. Did you notice the brick buildings across the street. Those are the Chelsea housing projects.
Damn. I stay in the building on that corner every time I go up to NY. I wouldn't call that whole area ghetto, just those few isolated projects.

Old 09-27-2011, 02:24 PM

1,081 posts, read 916,241 times
This thread is ghetto.

Old 09-27-2011, 03:09 PM

19,226 posts, read 15,324,078 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tuteishungry View Post
This past weekend about 6 of my female friends went to NYC for a much needed girls’ weekend out. One night, we were on the VIP list for a club and we were all ready to go. As assumed, we'd have to wait in line for a while, also, as assumed. 15 minutes goes by and my impatient friend starts complaining about the line, the people the atmosphere, etc.

At the very moment a large group of black girls walked by behind her, my friend loudly complained, "I really don't want to be here, this place is disgusting and ghetto". The 5 of the other girls' jaw dropped. It was the most embarrassing moment to hear her say that. I was appalled by her actions and told her to shut up.

The black girls in the group stopped in their tracks and got in her face calling her hair nasty and ghetto along with her outfit. Ultimately, all the other people in the line kicked all of us out and taunted us while we walked away.

My friend's only excuse why she used the word ghetto was because she "wasn't being racist but descriptive". She was very upset and cried that none of us supported her and didn't see things from her angle.

Am I wrong by this? Should I have not been so upset? How do you feel about people sayings things are ghetto. I think its incredibly rude, disgusting narrow minded and embarrassing that I know her. What would you do in this situation?
The b*tch was being classist, man.

Old 09-27-2011, 03:49 PM

4,050 posts, read 3,960,239 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OhBeeHave View Post
From urbandictionary.com

Ghetto does not imply color -- anyone can be poor and live in a ghetto.

If some of the myopic dolts would do a little digging, they would learn that the word ghetto derived from an Italian word and has it's roots dating back into the 1600's (or possibly a little earlier, I forget exactly.) If anyone should be upset, it should be the Venetian Jews 5 centuries ago.

Out of curiosity, what club were you waiting to get into?

So True...

The racial slur database.

http://gyral.blackshell.com/names.html

Slur Represents

Ghetto Blacks Used to describe Black urban "Ebonic" syntax; can be used on anyone who
speaks in such a manner.

Old 09-27-2011, 03:52 PM

914 posts, read 1,806,992 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Joshua View Post
27th st @ 10th Av?
I wasn't really paying attention. We walked from here: THE PARK to the club. Also, I don't think Jen looked around and made an educated hypothesis in saying, "Yes, these buildings are section 8 and dilapidated, yes there are a high volume of financially challenged people in the street, yes this looks nothing like time square".

You're right though, we didn't know the area.

Old 09-27-2011, 03:59 PM

1,459 posts, read 3,298,829 times
since when do black people have the rights to the word ghetto?

I use ghetto to describe anything and anybody who is trashy looking whether they be black or punjabi

its a word people.

Old 09-27-2011, 04:16 PM

18,258 posts, read 22,535,626 times
This thread is so trailer trash.

Old 09-27-2011, 04:32 PM

1,459 posts, read 3,298,829 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by calipoppy View Post
This thread is so trailer trash.

es barrio!

Old 09-27-2011, 04:42 PM

3,504 posts, read 3,924,430 times
what are the odds that this actually happened and its not something the OP just made up for attention?

10, 15:1?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies