Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-27-2011, 10:39 AM

16,545 posts, read 13,452,677 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by momonkey View Post
So you assumed your white (assuming) friend was saying something racist because she is white and was saying something negative about a specific group of black females?

Well, your white friend apparently doesn't understand the rules.

Blacks may make whatever derogatory remarks they wish about specific whites or whites in general because blacks cannot be racists since they were slaves last week.

Whites, on the other hand, are always guilty of being racists and therefore are guilty of racism even when no racist intent accompanies their actions.

Tell your friend to remember, it isn't what you do that matters. It's what you are.
I LOVE this post!+1
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-27-2011, 10:40 AM

2,112 posts, read 2,697,179 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tuteishungry View Post
It was never a thought of her being racist, though. It was more the shock that she didn't think what she said was wrong. Jen is white and she's a smart girl too. I guess it was more of a reaction with me because I didn't think she would say something so out of place with a ton of black people around. It's obviously a sliding scale too. I'm asian. I wonder what reaction I would get if I said the same thing.
If the place is ghetto (which sounds like it is), then why should your friend think that she is wrong?

Old 09-27-2011, 10:44 AM

914 posts, read 1,806,792 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Supachai View Post
This thread is such a clear case of fishing. You want us all to tell you how rude and trashy your friend is and how obviously enlightened and sophisticated you are in comparison. You know what's ghetto? Trying to make youself feel better by looking down on other people. And given the fact that she's supposedly your friend, you only make yourself look worse in this case.

I'm actually shocked you thought that deep into this thread to come up with that answer. Trust me, i'm not calling her that at all; I think she's a great girl, friend and equal. It's not like I sided with those girls that taunted us and went into the club with them. No comparison is made and I'm not better- just looking for opinions and thoughts and not fishing.

This was a true story.

Old 09-27-2011, 10:46 AM

3,457 posts, read 3,623,334 times
Quote:
Hahaha, all my friends have horrible derogatory names for me but its completely different. I'm Laotion and my boyfriend is half Mexican, but we dont go spouting off with the language in public. It's like begging to get jumped.
i don't see the big deal.

a ghetto is any poor area dominated by one ethnic group. calling a place "ghetto" in the US is usually a reference to black ghettos, but you could certainly have a white ghetto or an asian ghetto.

so if you called a black person "ghetto", i can see how that person would be offended. I cannot see why some random black bystander (to whom the comment was not directed) would be offended; that's an emotional and irrational reaction. Ghettos DO exist, and someone who uses the word isn't to blame for the fact that they exist.

Likewise if you called a club "ghetto", I can see how the club owners, or frequenters to that club, would be offended, sure... you're implying they are also ghetto.. but I can't make the logical leap to calling this "racism." Racism would only come into play if she was implying that "all black people are 'ghetto' "

Last edited by Cletus Awreetus-Awrightus; 09-27-2011 at 10:56 AM..

Old 09-27-2011, 10:53 AM

16,966 posts, read 34,718,970 times
Quote:
This past weekend about 6 of my female friends went to NYC for a much needed girls’ weekend out. One night, we were on the VIP list for a club and we were all ready to go. As assumed, we'd have to wait in line for a while, also, as assumed. 15 minutes goes by and my impatient friend starts complaining about the line, the people the atmosphere, etc.

At the very moment a large group of black girls walked by behind her, my friend loudly complained, "I really don't want to be here, this place is disgusting and ghetto". The 5 of the other girls' jaw dropped. It was the most embarrassing moment to hear her say that. I was appalled by her actions and told her to shut up.

The black girls in the group stopped in their tracks and got in her face calling her hair nasty and ghetto along with her outfit. Ultimately, all the other people in the line kicked all of us out and taunted us while we walked away.

My friend's only excuse why she used the word ghetto was because she "wasn't being racist but descriptive". She was very upset and cried that none of us supported her and didn't see things from her angle.

Am I wrong by this? Should I have not been so upset? How do you feel about people sayings things are ghetto. I think its incredibly rude, disgusting narrow minded and embarrassing that I know her. What would you do in this situation?
From urbandictionary.com
Quote:
1. ghetto 5550 up, 703 down
1. (n.) an impoverished, neglected, or otherwise disadvantaged residential area of a city, usually troubled by a disproportionately large amount of crime
2. (adj.) urban; of or relating to (inner) city life
3. (adj.) poor; of or relating to the poor life
4. (adj.) jury-rigged, improvised, or home-made (usually with extremely cheap or sub-standard components), yet still deserving of an odd sense of respect from ghetto dwellers and non-ghetto dwellers alike
Ghetto does not imply color -- anyone can be poor and live in a ghetto.

If some of the myopic dolts would do a little digging, they would learn that the word ghetto derived from an Italian word and has it's roots dating back into the 1600's (or possibly a little earlier, I forget exactly.) If anyone should be upset, it should be the Venetian Jews 5 centuries ago.

Out of curiosity, what club were you waiting to get into?

Old 09-27-2011, 10:56 AM

7,006 posts, read 6,994,198 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SourD View Post
People are such sissies about words these days.
Indeed they are. This world would be better off if people showed as much outrage over actions as they do words.

Old 09-27-2011, 10:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OhBeeHave View Post
From urbandictionary.com

Ghetto does not imply color -- anyone can be poor and live in a ghetto.

If some of the myopic dolts would do a little digging, they would learn that the word ghetto derived from an Italian word and has it's roots dating back into the 1600's (or possibly a little earlier, I forget exactly.) If anyone should be upset, it should be the Venetian Jews 5 centuries ago.

Out of curiosity, what club were you waiting to get into?

MARQUEE

Old 09-27-2011, 11:12 AM

1,669 posts, read 6,235,305 times
Quote:
One night, we were on the VIP list for a club and we were all ready to go. As assumed, we'd have to wait in line for a while, also, as assumed. 15 minutes goes by
What kind of club makes people on their VIP list wait in line for 15+ minutes with everyone else? How is that VIP status?

Old 09-27-2011, 11:39 AM

6,129 posts, read 6,810,838 times
Quote:
Hahaha, all my friends have horrible derogatory names for me but its completely different. I'm Laotion and my boyfriend is half Mexican, but we dont go spouting off with the language in public. It's like begging to get jumped.
It is. LOL.

Look, there are folks around here who will make any situation into "the oversensitive black person"'s fault. That's fine.

But in the real world, whether you think people are overly sensitive or too PC or whatever, its not a good idea to throw out insults at night in a strange city around people you don't know. We can argue all day whether that's right or wrong, whether the word is racist or not. That's a nice philosophical convo to have, but the fact remains that standing outside a club loudly declaring the place ghetto in mixed company is not a smart thing to do IMO. She didn't know the area, she didn't know the people, and it's not exactly a secret that it was possible people would take that personally, even if they didn't take it as a racial comment. Its not rocket science.

But like I said earlier, the girl probably learned her lesson. She'll be fine.

Old 09-27-2011, 01:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by moving123456 View Post
What kind of club makes people on their VIP list wait in line for 15+ minutes with everyone else? How is that VIP status?

Hahaha, we got there when everyone else did. There was a line to the left that had about 100+ people and the line on the right was VIP, which was about 40+ people. It was VIP seating, not J-Lo status.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies