Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-13-2007, 01:36 PM

78,433 posts, read 60,640,522 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by boiseguy View Post
I'm not here to play class distinction wars.. . they deserve a fair wage.................. and if that makes them closer to making what you at your little desk drinking coffee.. and answering phones makes...
Oh, I don't answer phones....that's the job of my super-model secretary. Oh, I'm off to water-ski behind my yacht rowed by dozens of underage workers from a foreign country whose name I can't pronounce.

I've done the crap jobs.....my parents both worked factory jobs and didn't go to college so give it a rest.

Pay is typically lower in areas where there are few jobs and lots of workers....and higher in places where the reverse is true. Additionally, pay is higher if lots of people can't do what you can do. Last I checked I'm not making Peyton Manning or Faith Hill type money. Shouldn't I? Don't I DESERVE it?

Sorry, I'm not going to pay more for my subway sandwhich because the Meth-head with the rotting teeth (true example) DESERVES $14/hr because he managed to stumble into work and meet the terms of his parole that day.

I've got friends that still work pretty low paying jobs and they are doing things to move up by continuing their education, moving to where there are jobs, getting training etc.

Some people are under-utilized, taken advantage of, are in bad siutations due to the economics of the area they live in....there is no perfect world and things aren't always fair....but there are other ways to solve it than by blanket mandate comrade.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-13-2007, 01:52 PM

4,426 posts, read 5,920,902 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mathguy View Post
Oh, I don't answer phones....that's the job of my super-model secretary. Oh, I'm off to water-ski behind my yacht rowed by dozens of underage workers from a foreign country whose name I can't pronounce.

I've done the crap jobs.....my parents both worked factory jobs and didn't go to college so give it a rest.

Pay is typically lower in areas where there are few jobs and lots of workers....and higher in places where the reverse is true. Additionally, pay is higher if lots of people can't do what you can do. Last I checked I'm not making Peyton Manning or Faith Hill type money. Shouldn't I? Don't I DESERVE it?

Sorry, I'm not going to pay more for my subway sandwhich because the Meth-head with the rotting teeth (true example) DESERVES $14/hr because he managed to stumble into work and meet the terms of his parole that day.

I've got friends that still work pretty low paying jobs and they are doing things to move up by continuing their education, moving to where there are jobs, getting training etc.

Some people are under-utilized, taken advantage of, are in bad siutations due to the economics of the area they live in....there is no perfect world and things aren't always fair....but there are other ways to solve it than by blanket mandate comrade.
good on you then..... so you know what its like to not be able tp pay rent and feed your kids? see the difference 60 years ago.. was kids could get married young and start a family because they could go out and work and be able to pay their bills.. yet were still considered poor.. but they could work their way up the economic ladder.. unfortunately today.. there are more pitfall traps for people.. the cost of everything has already gone up and their wages haven't.. Nobody is saying that they should pay 14 dollars per hour to a high school kid.. they aren't even allowed to work full time... but if you are an adult on your own.. you should be able to afford to live.. rent.. bills.. kids if you have them... if we start making businesses accountable more.. and quit letting them exploit workers.. then we as tax payers don't have to pony up so much to offset the difference for these people...

I'm not attacking you personally.. so don't get yourself all flustered and the attitude turned on..... I'm just addressing the realities out there.. that there is a balance... you're right.. but its not for the reasons people think.... businesses CAN pay higher wages.. but they wont if they don't have to
I'm merely responding to your condescending statements about reading up on economics.. assuming that I don't understand its principles...
so.. drop it down a notch.. I understand what you're saying.. I'm just disagreeing...

Old 09-13-2007, 06:15 PM

78,433 posts, read 60,640,522 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by boiseguy View Post
good on you then..... so you know what its like to not be able tp pay rent and feed your kids? see the difference 60 years ago.. was kids could get married young and start a family because they could go out and work and be able to pay their bills.. yet were still considered poor.. but they could work their way up the economic ladder.. unfortunately today.. there are more pitfall traps for people.. the cost of everything has already gone up and their wages haven't.. Nobody is saying that they should pay 14 dollars per hour to a high school kid.. they aren't even allowed to work full time... but if you are an adult on your own.. you should be able to afford to live.. rent.. bills.. kids if you have them... if we start making businesses accountable more.. and quit letting them exploit workers.. then we as tax payers don't have to pony up so much to offset the difference for these people...

I'm not attacking you personally.. so don't get yourself all flustered and the attitude turned on..... I'm just addressing the realities out there.. that there is a balance... you're right.. but its not for the reasons people think.... businesses CAN pay higher wages.. but they wont if they don't have to
I'm merely responding to your condescending statements about reading up on economics.. assuming that I don't understand its principles...
so.. drop it down a notch.. I understand what you're saying.. I'm just disagreeing...
You were saying all jobs should pay a living wage...and gave an example of working at a burger joint, which is fast food = subway.

This is apparently where we are parting ways the most.

There is a BIG BIG difference in what you would notice to inflation in the economy from raising the minimum wage a buck and increasing to living wage levels which would be MUCH larger.

I personally would not be very happy to learn that the person bagging my groceries was making $20 an hour....it's a job that could be done by cheaper, unskilled labor....who would be working themselves up to a job like running the produce department or learning to be an electrician, or studying for some other profession.

Your points about real wages in the US being stagnant I agree with 100%.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies