Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-02-2011, 06:11 PM

33,016 posts, read 27,469,142 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by lifelongMOgal View Post
Voting for the US Consitution means more for the future of this Republic than voting in one's self interest. I wouldn't expect any far left Progressive to understand such a concept as it requires character.

The Constitution written and adopted by wealthy people to the exclusion of the poor? The Constitution which fails to protect the right of poor people to buy homes they can afford?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-02-2011, 06:55 PM

69,368 posts, read 64,128,317 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by freemkt View Post
Most wealth-hindering regulations come from state and local government, not from Washington. In my experience, conservatives rarely complain about these state and local regulations, and often promote them, such as those policies which redistribute from the poor to the middle class and from renters to homeowners.
I actually have a lawsuit against my local township for adverse possession of a property I own, and I also have a lawsuit against Obamacare in federal court. I have no problem fighting government on all levels

Old 10-02-2011, 07:13 PM

4,176 posts, read 10,690,790 times
Quote:
The Constitution written and adopted by wealthy people to the exclusion of the poor? The Constitution which fails to protect the right of poor people to buy homes they can afford?
There is no such right.

My grandparents came here from Ireland and rented till the days they died. My father - alone out of all of his siblings - worked two jobs and rented until he could save enough to buy his family a house.

When I married, we rented, saved, and invested until we could afford to buy a house. We worked two and three jobs between us, because we had the same goal as my father - to earn what we wanted and live the American dream. Our first house was 900 sq feet. As it appreciated, we borrowed on it to send our children to college - the first kids in our family to graduate from college. When we decided to move, we were still working three jobs - but by then I owned two businesses. No one 'gave' anything to us, and we did not claim our 'right' to anything - except what we had earned. We sold everything and bought the house we ultimately wanted, in the place we ultimately wanted, that we worked hard to afford.

There is no "RIGHT" to have whatever you want or think that you deserve to have available; be it a home, food, designer clothes, an expensive car, the latest smart phone. There IS a right to keep what you earn, to prosper and be wise and frugal, and to profit thereby - or to whine about what no one gives you and suffer the consequences of your lack of hard work. This country was not founded on the right of people to HAVE - but their right to EARN it. No one "deserves" a home, no matter what Senator Obama and the other panderers to the demanding entitlement class preached on the Senate floor. The fact that you even imply that there is shows that you know nothing about the Constitution or the rights in a FREE Republic.

Old 10-02-2011, 08:36 PM

15,446 posts, read 21,360,221 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SCGranny View Post
There is no such right.

My grandparents came here from Ireland and rented till the days they died. My father - alone out of all of his siblings - worked two jobs and rented until he could save enough to buy his family a house.

When I married, we rented, saved, and invested until we could afford to buy a house. We worked two and three jobs between us, because we had the same goal as my father - to earn what we wanted and live the American dream. Our first house was 900 sq feet.
You know you are speaking to fence posts when you tell many of these folks why what they want is unfair. Most have little respect for age and no respect for experience. They believe they should have everything at age 30 that others didn't get until they are 50 or 60.

BTW, my Texas family didn't have running water until I was in junior high and most of my ancestors have been in America since the late 1600s. I paid for my college degrees by using the GI Bill from four years of military service and by driving semi trucks all hours of the day and night.

To these jerks and jerkettes who read the Constitution as their right to steal what has taken me a lifetime to painfully scrape together for my children, I give a hearty Bronx's cheer.

Old 10-03-2011, 05:35 AM

16,880 posts, read 15,203,858 times
Quote:
bbb

The primary economic obstacle faced by poor people is at the state and local level, not at the federal level. State and local taxes tend to be regressive, while federal taxes tend to not be regressive.

Obstacles to economic advancement typically come from state and especially local governments. Local prohibitions of home businesses (zoning) and expensive permit and license requirements abound. Rules making home ownership out of reach of the poor and making renting more expensive (e.g. NIMBY policies, high unfair taxes on rental property) are common.

You should calculate how much government redistributes from the poor to you sometime.

considering that the federal goverment pays the several states lots of taxpayer money, that equation also in includes the state and local goverments.

also, the federal and state goverments pay me nothing or very little from any poor person. in fact it is the other way around. if it wasnt, then I would be paying no tax at all, and be getting an earned income tax credit.

Old 10-03-2011, 05:44 AM

19,890 posts, read 18,758,413 times
Quote:

Why do you think people should have a right to other's labor? I don't understand this mindset.

Old 10-03-2011, 09:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCGranny View Post
There is no such right.

When I married, we rented, saved, and invested until we could afford to buy a house. We worked two and three jobs between us, because we had the same goal as my father - to earn what we wanted and live the American dream. Our first house was 900 sq feet. As it appreciated, we borrowed on it to send our children to college - the first kids in our family to graduate from college. When we decided to move, we were still working three jobs - but by then I owned two businesses. No one 'gave' anything to us, and we did not claim our 'right' to anything - except what we had earned. We sold everything and bought the house we ultimately wanted, in the place we ultimately wanted, that we worked hard to afford.

There is no "RIGHT" to have whatever you want or think that you deserve to have available; be it a home, food, designer clothes, an expensive car, the latest smart phone. There IS a right to keep what you earn, to prosper and be wise and frugal, and to profit thereby - or to whine about what no one gives you and suffer the consequences of your lack of hard work. This country was not founded on the right of people to HAVE - but their right to EARN it. No one "deserves" a home, no matter what Senator Obama and the other panderers to the demanding entitlement class preached on the Senate floor. The fact that you even imply that there is shows that you know nothing about the Constitution or the rights in a FREE Republic.

Where on earth did you get the idea I was arguing for a RIGHT to HAVE? In a free market where individuals have property rights, a willing seller and a willing buyer should be able to exchange real property. Since this right no longer exists in this country - it once did - Americans have lost property rights they once had.

Are you saying that property rights are not fundamental and that government may infringe them at will?

Old 10-03-2011, 09:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by shorebaby View Post
Why do you think people should have a right to other's labor? I don't understand this mindset.

Let me repeat the part you quoted:

Originally Posted by freemkt

Please explain how I think people should have a right to other's labor?

I think Americans should have the right to PURCHASE from a willing seller what they can afford, and no more than what they can afford. Where do you find a claim to a right to the labor of others? Do you not have the right to purchase a loaf of bread from a willing seller? Is real property somehow different that this right should be infringed by government?

Old 10-03-2011, 10:11 AM

4,367 posts, read 3,485,145 times
Ted Rall is that racist cartoonist who drew pictures of Condaleeza Rice with the grossest of racial caricature.

Old 10-03-2011, 10:16 AM

19,226 posts, read 15,326,750 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nightflight View Post
Ted Rall is that racist cartoonist who drew pictures of Condaleeza Rice with the grossest of racial caricature.
She looks like a black ant to me, with no help from a caricaturist.

Last edited by ergohead; 10-03-2011 at 10:31 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies