Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-10-2011, 11:58 AM

1,459 posts, read 3,299,647 times

Advertisements

I donate to many charities of which some include meal on wheels programs, homeless shelters.

Volunteer at food banks....operation sack lunch

Conservatives help out....because we want to help out. Not because the government forces us to.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-10-2011, 12:05 PM

9,949 posts, read 8,857,355 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JackTheRipper View Post
Conservatives only care about exploiting the poor and making money.
So there are no poor conservatives?

Old 10-10-2011, 12:15 PM

17,468 posts, read 12,947,298 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Backspace View Post
So there are no poor conservatives?
You didn't get the news flash............all conservatives are rich and white
Quote:
Originally Posted by bobtn View Post
"You don't see Republicans wearing red shirts or any other single color in a group"

They are spending their time defining who are Christians (LOL)!
And your "FREEDOM of SPEECH"

Old 10-10-2011, 01:28 PM

18,665 posts, read 19,979,518 times

Unless I am a Mormon. (sar)

Old 10-10-2011, 01:45 PM

5,821 posts, read 5,306,705 times
Default Conservatives: How do you REALLY feel about the poor???

Well, if I were to believe what the newspaper says and what I read on here, I AM POOR.

I am retired/disabled, wife has low level job, we have a house, TV, car. Between us, we make
about 25 a year.

But, I don't feel poor. We hardly ever eat out, rarely go anywhere, but we want for nothing.
I think life is a state of mind, nobody ever said it would be easy. I guess I would rather be free,
and have less, than be rich and someone I am not.

Old 10-10-2011, 02:01 PM

17,468 posts, read 12,947,298 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bobtn View Post

Unless I am a Mormon. (sar)
Yeah, Whatever, read the history between the two religions, this has been going on since the beginning of religion, nothing new. It's not "Speech" they are talking about. You really need to catch up!!

Old 10-10-2011, 03:27 PM

774 posts, read 1,165,097 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by claudhopper View Post
Rich is enjoying what you have, poor is complaining about not having what you want.
If you try sometimes, ya get whatchya need.
Most simple-minded assessment I've ever seen. Poor is a lot of things, like:
  • Not being able to pay all your utilities on time
  • Having to choose between food and medication
  • Purchasing the cheapest grade of meat if you can afford meat
  • Shopping where the quality of produce and meat is substandard and the prices are over the top
  • Not being able to get another winter coat for your kid because s/he has outgrown the one from last winter
It's a helluva lot more than just complaining about what you want. For many it's about not being able to get what you need. While you certainly won't get anything accomplished if you don't try, trying is damn sure no guarantee that you will succeed. If you don't believe it, go talk to some long-term unemployed college graduates. They're not hard to find. They're all over America.

Old 10-10-2011, 06:17 PM

3,398 posts, read 5,108,203 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SloRoller View Post
  • Shopping where the quality of produce and meat is substandard and the prices are over the top
  • Not being able to get another winter coat for your kid because s/he has outgrown the one from last winter
It's a helluva lot more than just complaining about what you want. For many it's about not being able to get what you need. While you certainly won't get anything accomplished if you don't try, trying is damn sure no guarantee that you will succeed. If you don't believe it, go talk to some long-term unemployed college graduates. They're not hard to find. They're all over America.
Where I am at least there is assistance for the poor for paying utilities. The poor get medical care free. Food stamps. And every year there is a coat drive and all the kids get free coats if you can't buy them. There are plenty of services for the poor. The US is a great country to be poor in.

The unemployed college grads can be found on Wall Street not wanting to work.

Old 10-10-2011, 06:38 PM

30,900 posts, read 36,980,033 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roadking2003 View Post
Actually, conservatives care more for the poor than liberals. We contribute our OWN money and resources. Liberals want to give OTHER PEOPLE'S MONEY to the poor. There is a huge difference.
This is generally true. And it's backed up by a left leaning author who had to admit that conservatives gave more to charity (both secular and religious) than liberals, by and large.

Amazon.com: Who Really Cares: The Surprising Truth About Compassionate Conservatism (9780465008230): Arthur C. Brooks, James Q. Wilson: Books

Old 10-10-2011, 10:12 PM

12,770 posts, read 11,571,535 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SloRoller View Post
I'm speaking from first hand experience. We eat little meat, I cook frugal but relatively healthy, clothes come from the thrift store. Our furniture came from Salvation Army. I love my couch and loveseat. I like the way we eat. We enjoy walks with our dogs. We have everything we need, and are grateful for what we have. Our little house is almost paid for, our cars are paid for. We have no prescriptions to fill, haven't needed to see a doctor in many years, thank the Lord. We have one credit card for emergency only, with zero balance. We have nothing to complain about.
I am an artist. My brother is a great artist, so I assumed it would come easy to me - it hasn't. I have to work at it, over and over again, constantly, but I see progress. Trying and quitting won't get anyone anywhere - it's being persistent in the face of failure, that separates the winners from the losers.
I need to take my own advice, and start painting again.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies