Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-23-2016, 06:01 PM

8,480 posts, read 6,884,817 times

Advertisements

I've been retired for seven years and I still get an annual contribution request from my past employer.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-23-2016, 06:18 PM

17 posts, read 17,638 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mike1003 View Post
I don't know why. But, I will tell you that I always said we donated through my wife's company and she said that she donated through mine.

We religiously donated to United way for years. We always specified which of their charities where we wanted our money to go. Then we found out that yes our money went to Charity A that we specified...BUT, that amount was subtracted from United Way's budgeted to Charity A. Net result Charity A received the same amount from United Way

United Way sends money to charities that we just don't want to support.

So, we stopped UW and we donate to who we want!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roadking2003 View Post
I had a similar experience. And yes, there is nothing you can do to change the amount of money each charity gets. Their process of letting you designate a charity is total fraud.
Interesting. Apparently, the deception of the United Way at the national and local levels knows no bounds.

Old 01-24-2016, 06:22 AM

38,643 posts, read 26,370,068 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NHartphotog View Post
Every victim thought this also, and investigated suing, but the only harassment laws that a lawyer will take are (1) if you are a minority, or (2) (much more rarely) a woman claiming sexual harassment. The liberal courts will give large settlements for those people, even if the corporation was 100% in the right. No lawyer will take a case for a white male no matter how ridiculous the treatment, and likewise even white females don't have chance unless sexual harassment is involved.

One fired employee later told me that the 3 lawyers he saw agreed it was incredibly unfair, they all said simply to go work somewhere else and forget it. They also commented that a corporation with an Executive level so crazy as to fire employees for United Way was a corporation you don't want to be a party of (how right they were, but well-paying jobs were NEVER plentiful or easy to get). One attorney said straight out, "The legal system is not the least bit interested in helping white males--or white females, either."

I bet any lawyers on C-D would agree they'd never take a case for a white male fired due to United Way--because the corporation will NEVER admit the employee fired for that reason. In fact, in this corporation, EVERY annual review is seeded with negative feedback that could be used in future layoffs and firings--a remnant of the first Robber-Baron CEO, who reduced the corporation from over 16,000 employees to less than 9,000--and created the new standard 80-hour workweek. He's also the one who stole the multi-billion dollar pension fund, and thus voided all our vested pensions, in a perfectly legal move.

The corporation would not settle out of court, but would go to trial, slandering the employee and making sure no employer in the future EVER hired the person. For professionals in this field, who have invested SO MUCH in our careers, we simply can't throw it away. We have to play the game. Plus, as long as the ex-employee didn't make a fuss, the corporation didn't slander his reputations, and the person found work elsewhere (ironically, they are MUCH better off not working for this corporation today, and were lucky to have escaped before it was too late).

However, your response was probably 100% correct as to why CEOs are willing to go to such lengths of destroying excellent employees' careers for a meaningless plaque. Robber-Baron CEOs hate and resent every employee, and wish they could fire every single one of us and thus take our salaries too. These insane Narcissists actually think the corporation would still be raking in money without employees to run the plants, get the product distributed, collect and account for the money, etc. They actually think the corporation exists and functions SOLELY as a result of their childish temper tantrums.

I got this pressure to "give" to the United Way years ago when I worked for the C.A. Muer Corp.

What a bunch of disgusting pigs!

I told them no, and then I had to have a meeting with a manager so they could find out why I was unwilling to "donate".

Of course I told them to pound sand.

Old 01-24-2016, 11:17 AM

11,181 posts, read 10,528,486 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TurtleCreek80 View Post
We do the United Way campaign at my Fortune 500 company, too. I discovered a little-known fact during the 2010 campaign-> you can direct your money to specific, designated charities of your choosing instead of choosing the "general campaign" bucket or their education/poverty/etc buckets.
This was the case with my last two employers before I retired. I thought it was the same everywhere.
Apparently not.

Old 01-24-2016, 12:32 PM

46,946 posts, read 25,976,294 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bobtn View Post
Legally an employee cannot be forced to donate money.
"Legally". But when you consider the employee/employer power dynamic - particularly in the US - there's a lot of things you can be made to do, if you want to keep your job, let alone stand a chance of getting a raise.

Old 01-25-2016, 04:50 PM

17 posts, read 17,638 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dane_in_LA View Post
"Legally". But when you consider the employee/employer power dynamic - particularly in the US - there's a lot of things you can be made to do, if you want to keep your job, let alone stand a chance of getting a raise.
United Way knows that and uses it to strong arm donations.

Old 01-25-2016, 05:14 PM

27,307 posts, read 16,217,006 times
I told them to pound sand.

Nobody forces me to do anything with my money.

Old 01-25-2016, 05:31 PM

10,216 posts, read 8,116,164 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by T-310 View Post
I told them to pound sand.

Nobody forces me to do anything with my money.
Except the government, at which time you bow down to them.

Old 01-25-2016, 05:34 PM

10,216 posts, read 8,116,164 times
I give United Way a buck a week. Ain't no thang, I feel no high pressure from anyone. I knew a few folks that used resources that were provided to by United Way, directly and indirectly, when I was growing up in Houston.

I'm sure there are some scams involved in United Way as there are so many individual locations, but I feel it's worth my $52 a year.

Old 01-25-2016, 05:47 PM

27,307 posts, read 16,217,006 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dv1033 View Post
Except the government, at which time you bow down to them.
And my tax credits ensure I get it all back, especially since I don't participate in obamanationcare.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies