Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-29-2011, 12:08 AM

41,813 posts, read 51,059,937 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by sickofnyc View Post

John Nichols: Under Walker, Wisconsin is No. 1 job loser

No wonder is spending millions on ads to fend off the growing popularity of his being recalled. He's toast.
Cherry picking? you always know there is something up when they will only cite specific numbers for what they a trying to discredit.

Table 3. Civilian labor force and unemployment by state and selected area, seasonally adjusted
Quote:
Unemployment rates:

Wisconsin.
Oct. 2010 7.7
Aug. 2011 7.9
Sept. 2011 7.8
Oct. 2011 7.7

Illionois
Oct. 2010 9.6
Aug. 2011 9.9
Sept. 2011 10.0
Oct. 2011 10.1

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-29-2011, 12:14 AM

25,021 posts, read 27,938,262 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thecoalman View Post
Cherry picking? you always know there is something up when they will only cite specific numbers for what they a trying to discredit.

Table 3. Civilian labor force and unemployment by state and selected area, seasonally adjusted
Interesting discrepancy from the OP's link and the government's data

Old 11-29-2011, 12:18 AM

3,265 posts, read 3,194,486 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JordanJP View Post
Opinion does not equal facts.
Better shut down this entire forum then.

Old 11-29-2011, 12:22 AM

41,813 posts, read 51,059,937 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by theunbrainwashed View Post
Interesting discrepancy from the OP's link and the government's data
Actually the data in the article he posted is same as BLS data, trying to figure out why you would have job loss and the unemployment rate would go down. Other than population shift or possibly something to do with seasonal jobs I'm not sure why at the moment. The 9700 job loss is only the difference between Sept and and Oct of this year.

Old 11-29-2011, 06:17 AM

3,566 posts, read 3,733,875 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by banjomike View Post
Who cares? These days, a job is a job, and any job loss ends up costing us all. There is no validity to believing that consumers have any voluntary say about either the private or the public sectors. If that was true, private businesses would not still be sitting on their cash. They would all be busy hiring workers.

Hate on the unions if you want, but when they were at their height in the 50's, the average non-degreed, non-professional worker brought home more income- real income, with far higher taxes placed on it, than the same worker doing the same job in the 80's brought home. Union or not. The unions floated the entire wage scale upwards, and non-members profited from it.

I have never been a union member, and I live in a Right To Work state. I ran my own business most of my life, and I have seen how a state declines when the unions are busted up.
Business does not provide the level of expertise to all workers that unions require as a part of membership. We all end up paying for mistakes done in critical jobs, and we all end up paying twice for some of them- we get bit first on the shoddy construction, and then we get bit again when that it has to be replaced.

Right To Work was created so that an unqualified person can do the same work for the same wage as a qualified person. At least, that was how it was intended to be. Idiots could run the same machines as skilled operators. Idiots could wire houses. Idiots could build foundations. We had only inspectors to be our guards in public safety, and now, most of them have lost their jobs as local governments' employees are squeezed down to the bare minimum. We won't even know who to go after when we get bit now, as the gal who keeps the records that were written by the fired inspector also got the axe.

The real result of Right To Work soon became nothing but a race to the bottom, where only the cheapest prevailed. Right To Work means Right To Starve for any skilled workers these days. It has severely lessened the safety of our public buildings, our public schools and roads, and has cheapened the quality of our once world-beating products.

I guess the folks in Wisconsin are re-learning that lesson.
Gov.Walker may be able to overcome the recall, but he's toast. He won't ever get a second term, and will go down as Wisconsin's George W. Bush in the history books.

i haven't kept track much on the petition signatures, but I learned 150,000 of them were collected in the first 24 hours of the recall. That's about 1/5 of the total number needed in 24 hours. If I was Walker, I would be sweating bullets right now, but that's just me... I try to be a realist in most things.
Seems I've heard these union talking points for years now. Your argument conflates public sector and private sector unionism. Walker has not done anything to lessen the power of private sector unions. His focus has been on public sector unions which for years have made a corrupt bargain with Dem pols to the detriment of taxpayers. Just as private sector unions bankrupted the American auto industry public sector unions have bankrupted states and municipalities. The bottom line is that if Walker loses his fight against the public employee unions it will be the taxpayers who will be the ultimate losers.

Old 11-29-2011, 06:24 AM

69,368 posts, read 64,118,301 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sickofnyc View Post

John Nichols: Under Walker, Wisconsin is No. 1 job loser

No wonder is spending millions on ads to fend off the growing popularity of his being recalled. He's toast.
LIE. Wisconsin lost 9,700 jobs, Georgia lost 33,000 jobs.
Quote:
Originally Posted by coped View Post
Job numbers from the Bureau of Labor Statistics are facts, not opinions. The job losses in Wisconsin are facts.
According to the BLS, the unemployment rate in Wisconsin in 7.7% down from 7.8%
http://www.bls.gov/news.release/laus.nr0.htm

Old 11-29-2011, 06:28 AM

19,792 posts, read 13,951,723 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RCCCB View Post
Unions are spending hundreds of millions to retire Walker because their way of life is ending.
This is the false equivalence fallacy. Unions spending money on ads to protect middle class workers and jobs is not the same as the Koch brother's shadow organizations spending money to keep Walker so that he can do their bidding -- reducing worker protections; reducing bargaining rights, etc. which inevitably increase the disparity between the ultra-rich and the middle-class.

Old 11-29-2011, 08:01 AM

9,984 posts, read 10,394,292 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pghquest View Post
LIE. Wisconsin lost 9,700 jobs, Georgia lost 33,000 jobs.

According to the BLS, the unemployment rate in Wisconsin in 7.7% down from 7.8%
http://www.bls.gov/news.release/laus.nr0.htm
You should probably take another gander at those charts before you level such charges.

Georgia lost 33,000 jobs from Oct. 2010 to Oct. 2011 (over the course of a year)

Wisconsin lost 9,700 jobs from Sept 2011 to Oct. 2011 (over the course of one month)

Interestingly enough from Sept 2011 to Oct. 2011 California has been the second largest job creator after Illinois that month and has over taken Texas for the year. I guess when the stimulus tap, that all the Republicans complained about while looting as fast as possible, was turned off Texas just stopped being competitive.

Last edited by Randomstudent; 11-29-2011 at 08:09 AM..

Old 11-29-2011, 08:10 AM
LML

7,100 posts, read 9,112,238 times
Some folks seem to rejoice at the death of union jobs. Obviously history wasn't their strong suit or they would know that it was union jobs that created the middle class in this country so, in effect, they are rejoicing at the death of the middle class. They will continue their rejoicing until they find that the bell tolls for them too.

Old 11-29-2011, 08:13 AM

38,496 posts, read 25,820,712 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by theunbrainwashed View Post
Those jobs that Illinois created, were they minimum wage jobs flipping burgers and/or hiring more public sector employees? The jobs that Wisconsin lost, how many were private sector related and how many were because of public sector layoffs and/or government contracts drying up?
Jobs are jobs.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies