Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-14-2011, 10:38 PM

13,186 posts, read 14,985,890 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ceece View Post
ORRRRR they are a home improvement store that doesn't want to get into the middle of something so heated and controversial. I wouldn't want to either. When ACE doesn't sponsor the show (oh wait, they don't) you can boycott them too. At least Lowe's tried something that most companies wouldn't. Plus it's a lousy show and not worth the money.
They could have ignored the Florida Christian bigots and nobody would have cared.

They created this mess for themselves by being so spineless.

Last edited by padcrasher; 12-14-2011 at 11:48 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-14-2011, 11:43 PM

6,790 posts, read 8,202,036 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cinebar View Post
You do realize that those murders were committed by Muslim extremists, don't you? And that there are millions of peaceful Muslims?

I'm pretty sure there are a few "christian" extremists out there, too - probably bombing abortion clinics and mosques.

Yes, they do. And yes, we have the right to shop there....or not. If there were a Lowe's around here, I would choose to not shop there because of this.

I'm so disgusted by Lowe's cowardice, and the bigoted people who think that a show about muslim families living normal American lives is a problem. I have a business very close to Dearborn, and through my work I have gotten to know many muslim families, the show is an accurate portrayal of the people I know. They are peaceful, hard working people who love their families, and they are kind and considerate to non muslims like myself as well. I count quite a few muslims among my favorite clients, they are lovely people who are completely disgusted by terrorism.

Have these people ever heard of the constitution? I bet these bigots have the nerve to call themselves patriots while acting completely against American values.

Lowe's will not be getting anymore business from me, or my family.

Old 12-14-2011, 11:49 PM

6,790 posts, read 8,202,036 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SoEdible View Post
I saw the previews of this show and immediately found it very condescending and it seemed to be built on trying to make people who are not Muslim in the United States feel guilty about the way Muslims are being treating. It was a lot of whining and complaining and just nothing really positive. It was a great idea, to allow people to become aware of any discrimination that Muslims suffer from in the U.S. (people do discriminate and stereotype people who appear Muslim, I'm just saying, it does happen), but the execution was bad.

I do think it was risky of Lowes to withdraw, but if they don't agree with the message then they have the right to. However, they are now trying to say that they did it because "the show sucked" and they were misled.
Did you watch the actual show? It's a show about muslim families living their lives, there is very little about discrimination at all, that's not what the show is about. There is no constant whining, or complaining about discrimination, they aren't trying to make anyone feel guilty, it's just a typical reality show about families who are muslim, and what their lives are like.

Old 12-14-2011, 11:57 PM

298 posts, read 389,972 times
I like to watch the show to make fun of their backward and stupid religion. On the last episode I watched, one of the women decided to dress even more conservatively (scarf and all) because they were having trouble getting pregnant. LOL

Old 12-15-2011, 06:04 AM

20,054 posts, read 18,293,964 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EinsteinsGhost View Post
Mobs tend to make rules.
OWS proved that wrong. Under a civilized society, mostly unruly mobs tend to be squashed to maintain order.

Again, it's nothing personal...it's just business.

Old 12-15-2011, 06:21 AM

22,974 posts, read 65,541,472 times
Apparently Lowes cant take the heat, they deleted over 28,000 comments on their facebook page.
Quote:
Mooresville-based Lowe's has deleted comments from its Facebook page about its decision to withdraw advertising from a television show about Muslim Americans. Many of the comments were anti-Muslim, while others were critical about the retailer's decision.
Lowe's removes comments from Facebook page

Those people should come over here, where freedom of speech is allowed.
Only thread I have seen with around 28,000 comments are the chat threads in the state forums.

Last edited by SunnyKayak; 12-15-2011 at 06:53 AM..

Old 12-15-2011, 06:44 AM

8,276 posts, read 12,865,904 times
Lowes has the right to advertise where they think it will help their business. I will continue to shop there.

Old 12-15-2011, 07:34 AM

24,645 posts, read 38,667,124 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Heidi60 View Post
Respect?

Where is the respect for the thousands of Americans they murdered? Do we as a nation have such a short memory? Honor their dignity by supporting all the companies which pulled their ads from the station.

Lowe's has every right to spend their profits as they chose; we have the right to chose to shop there, or not, as well as the right not to watch that propaganda for a "peaceful" hate group!!! Their pillars and actions say it all - their words ring false.
How many Americans did these American families in Dearborn, Michigan murder? I didn't know anything about that.

Old 12-15-2011, 08:57 AM

31,767 posts, read 28,833,891 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by summers73 View Post
OWS proved that wrong. Under a civilized society, mostly unruly mobs tend to be squashed to maintain order.

Again, it's nothing personal...it's just business.
Well, clearly OWS wasn't powerful enough for a mob. But see, how much impact teabaggers and evangelicals can have... evident from firing of the guy who provided the Gecko voice to GEICO for badmouthing the teabaggers, and the "rage" against Lowe's being a sponsor on a program about Americans... because they happen to be Muslims, an insignificant minority.

No wonder Newt leads America's conservative movement.

Old 12-15-2011, 09:06 AM

16,545 posts, read 13,461,752 times
But it's A-OK for a group of Left wingers to go after Beck's advertisers!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies