Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Do you feel it is correct to teach children that homosexuality is normal and natural?
Yes 292 50.34%
No 256 44.14%
I am unsure 32 5.52%
Voters: 580. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-02-2012, 09:28 AM

10,449 posts, read 12,468,133 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by schizotypalAureliusz View Post
I'm afraid of spiders. Am I spider?
Oh wait, you write about homophobia, not arachnophobia
Still coprophagia is considered as trait of mental illness, although there are bacterium, which consume that kind of biomass.
You know, maybe projection is to see that everyone hate gays, maybe you simply hate everyone with different views than you? You know - you didn't see any human being with Tourette syndrome, but you say that every one of them hate gays, you never be heterosexual with delusion, but you write, that delusions are SO HOMOPHOBIC.
chill out
beyond a small group of Christian fundamentalists, almost every Muslim and national radicals, most people tolerate gays. Maybe you just do not know what the term tolerance mean?
tolerantia definition | Latin Dictionary
Obviously you haven't been bullied or beaten up for being gay. When that happens to you, get back to me about how most people are tolerant of homosexuality. It really varies where you are. Some areas are mostly tolerant. Some areas are mostly intolerant. Some areas issue the death penalty for being gay.

Being gay in San Francisco, CA is not the same as being gay in Laramie, WY, which is not the same as being gay in Esfahan, Iran. But in any case, I'm sure that the people in Esfahan, Tehran would beg to differ with your assertion that most people are tolerant of homosexuality. Of course, even though Iranians risk the death penalty, for example, they're all choosing to be "deluded" into homosexuality, right? Even though Ugandan gays and lesbians risk being raided by the police in their own homes and gang-raped, they're still "choosing" that lifestyle because they want to "face adversity" right?

Claiming homosexuality is a choice would at least make more sense if everywhere was like San Francisco, USA. But there are so many places where being gay is about the worst thing that could happen to you, where people are incredibly intolerant and outright violent towards gays, and yet some people are still gay. Doesn't that at least make you think for a second, how much of a "delusion" or "choice" could homosexuality possibly be? What kind of nutcase would choose to be gay in Saudi Arabia, Jamaica, Yemen, or one of the other places in the world where you can either be killed either legally, or by vigilantes?

I don't hate everyone that has different views than me. I hate the fact that some people who have different views than me have no qualms about wanting to subject me to electrotherapy, rape me, torture me, or kill me. All in the name of "homophobia." Most places in the world have little or no tolerance for homosexuality. Not everywhere is America or Western Europe. Can you understand why gay people might feel just a tad bit embittered towards the people who hate them/their sin/their lifestyle?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-02-2012, 09:34 AM

13,285 posts, read 15,313,886 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Finn_Jarber View Post
Which law demands that schools must teach that sun revolves around earth?
Well, it wasn't until 1992 that the Vatican officially recognized that the earth isn't stationary

But, your analogy fails.

Schools should teach the truth, not what is most popular.

NOTE: I feel that during human sexuality classes schools should teach that homosexuality exists without making any value judgements

Old 01-02-2012, 09:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Finn_Jarber View Post
This has NOTHING to do with acknowledging it exists.
What does it have to do with, then? That's the whole purpose of teaching children that homosexuality exists, so that they realize some of the people they will meet are oriented towards the same gender and not the opposite one (or possibly both). It's not about giving children a step-by-step guide to anal sex, or enforcing NAMBLA's views, or any of that craziness. If that's what you think, then no wonder you are opposed to it. But that's not what it's about. The whole point of teaching children some people are gay is just to acknowledge it, and that whether or not it is considered normal or natural, it's not acceptable to mistreat people simply because they express attraction to the same gender. That's what "tolerance" means.

Old 01-02-2012, 09:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by filihok View Post
Well, it wasn't until 1992 that the Vatican officially recognized that the earth isn't stationary

But, your analogy fails.

NOTE: I feel that during human sexuality classes schools should teach that homosexuality exists without making any value judgements
I agree, they shouldn't make value judgments as to whether homosexuality itself is right or wrong. But they should teach that it's not okay to mistreat someone because of your opinions surrounding homosexuality, no matter what they are. In other words I'm saying teaching acceptance should be left up to the parents, but teaching tolerance is perfectly reasonable. I also think schools should teach tolerance for different religions, races, abilities, etc. It's just about teaching kids how to coexist in a world with people who are different from them. It's not indoctrinating them that any one way of living is more correct than another. That can be left up to the parents. But the problem is that many parents who sincerely believe one way of being is more correct than another forget to teach their kids about tolerance because they're so wrapped up in their own worldview. That's why I think schools need to cover the tolerance bit.

Old 01-02-2012, 09:49 AM

8,560 posts, read 11,220,032 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by filihok View Post
Spoiler

But, your analogy fails.

That might be better taught in a spelling class, along with heterosexual, defining both but grading for spelling and multiple choice (?) definition.

I don't recall a spelling teacher (English class) that I'd want talking to - or even teaching - me about sexuality.

Last edited by Willsson; 01-02-2012 at 10:07 AM..

Old 01-02-2012, 09:56 AM

11,466 posts, read 19,358,545 times
Default Do you feel it is correct to teach children that homosexuality is normal and natural?

Being I don't believe it is normal or natural I vote no. Thats a subject between parents and THEIR children and nobody elses buisness.

Last edited by Roaddog; 01-02-2012 at 10:15 AM..

Old 01-02-2012, 10:09 AM

1,077 posts, read 2,634,163 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Savoir Faire View Post
It is for my kid.

If you want to teach your kid to hate, knock yourself out, it's a fee country.

So if I teach my kids that being gay is okay I'm teaching them not to hate? How about I teach them that drugs and alcohol and unprotected sex is okay so they don't hate? Same thing. I'm free to teach my kids what I feel is appropriate and what is not and if I don't think homosexuality is appropriate then by God I have the right to do so...not the school, government or anybody else.

Old 01-02-2012, 10:11 AM

8,346 posts, read 7,048,492 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by magoomafoo View Post
So if I teach my kids that being gay is okay I'm teaching them not to hate?
Pretty much.

Quote:
How about I teach them that drugs and alcohol and unprotected sex is okay so they don't hate? Same thing.
Not really, no.

One's not harmful to anyone. The other, not so much.

Quote:
I'm free to teach my kids what I feel is appropriate and what is not
You are absolutely correct. If one wants to teach ignorance, that's their right.

Old 01-02-2012, 10:19 AM

17,291 posts, read 29,418,544 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by magoomafoo View Post
So if I teach my kids that being gay is okay I'm teaching them not to hate? How about I teach them that drugs and alcohol and unprotected sex is okay so they don't hate? Same thing. I'm free to teach my kids what I feel is appropriate and what is not and if I don't think homosexuality is appropriate then by God I have the right to do so...not the school, government or anybody else.
I think the problem is that so many people cannot understand how someone can preach or teach that homosexuality is not "appropriate."

That's just ODD. Like saying, "being deaf is inappropriate." Or, "being left handed is inappropriate." In olden days, both could get you left out to die as a baby, or beaten until you correct your "abnormal left handedness."

Parents: If your kid is gay, they are going to be gay. Period. No amount of shock treatment, prayer or indoctrination will change it. Deal with it. They aren't choosing it.

As for "reparative therapy," I challenge ANY so called "ex gay" to spend a day in the lockerrooms of the college swim team... see if they can manage to "not look twice" as they used to!

Old 01-02-2012, 10:19 AM

76,971 posts, read 47,668,310 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nimchimpsky View Post
What does it have to do with, then? That's the whole purpose of teaching children that homosexuality exists, so that they realize some of the people they will meet are oriented towards the same gender and not the opposite one (or possibly both). It's not about giving children a step-by-step guide to anal sex, or enforcing NAMBLA's views, or any of that craziness. If that's what you think, then no wonder you are opposed to it. But that's not what it's about. The whole point of teaching children some people are gay is just to acknowledge it, and that whether or not it is considered normal or natural, it's not acceptable to mistreat people simply because they express attraction to the same gender. That's what "tolerance" means.
It has to do with the topic of the thread: should schools teach children that gay sex is natural. Majority believes it is not natural, so why should schools teach the opinion of a small minority as the truth? The teachers would be forced to lie to the kids, and you obviously have no problem with it because you agree with the opinion, but would you be ok if teachers were forced to lie about things you do not agree with?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies