Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Do you feel it is correct to teach children that homosexuality is normal and natural?
Yes 292 50.34%
No 256 44.14%
I am unsure 32 5.52%
Voters: 580. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-02-2012, 06:56 AM

17,291 posts, read 29,411,909 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taratova
I am not fooled.

Oh, geez, you don't even know the HALF of it!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-02-2012, 07:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nimchimpsky View Post
Are you seriously trying to psychoanalyze the whole entire gay population based on one of your friends?

And trying to compare a sexual orientation to addiction?

Ever notice that conservatives seem to "know" and "be friends with" the most bizarre gay people in the world who seem to say the strangest things and live the most whacked out life?

Crazy must attract crazy, regardless of sexual orientation.

Old 01-02-2012, 07:07 AM

13,900 posts, read 9,775,066 times
When the time comes to talk to my son about sexuality, I'll answer any question he has. If he asks about gay people, I'll just tell him that some people are attracted to the same sex and that's the way they are.

Old 01-02-2012, 07:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Winter_Sucks View Post
When the time comes to talk to my son about sexuality, I'll answer any question he has. If he asks about gay people, I'll just tell him that some people are attracted to the same sex and that's the way they are.

I remember watching the Golden Girls with my parents as a kid in the late 80s or early 90s. They were talking about someone being gay. I asked my mom, "what does that mean?"

She said, "it's when a boy kisses another boy."

Oh. Ok. Carried on.

Kids are sponges, and children make no value judgment unless their parents instill one in any situation. I also remember an interracial couple moving in to the neighborhood as a child, and hearing an adult neighbor make a comment in a not-so-nice way about it. Before the comment, the fact they were interracial didn't even register. After the comment, however, I would hear the comment in my head every time I saw them.

Old 01-02-2012, 07:24 AM

15,706 posts, read 11,778,898 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by other99 View Post
Well I am aware within the animal kingdom homosexual relationships do exist, but what is natural is when couples copulate and pass their genes to the next generation.

However I dont see the word natural as the good definition, even for hetrosexuals.
Procreation is also natural, as it exists in nature. So both homosexuality and heterosexuality are natural. That would be my point. It can't be claimed it's unnatural if it exists in nature without artificial pressure. That's just basic logic 101. We're not talking about morality, merely natural occurrence.

And keep in mind that evolutionarily speaking, only populations need to evolve. Not every single individual/couple within a population needs to. There are numerous theories about the evolutionary reasons for homosexuality existing within nature from increased female fertility, to caretakers for sibling children, to the benefits of male/male social bonding.

Old 01-02-2012, 07:26 AM

10,190 posts, read 7,957,451 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by janelle144 View Post
Do you feel it is correct to teach children that homosexuality is normal and natural?

Getting back to the question that was asked---

No, homosexuality is not normal, it is abnormal, in comparison to the number of people in our society, very few do it and if you want to have a child naturally, it can't happen that way.

Is it natural? Depends on where you look to find nature. Animals might do it but does that mean people should do what animals do just because we see them do something? Animals do many things I would not do, nor want to do, (eat their feces and chimps have been seen to eat other chimps they kill in battle.) I don't look to animals for my behavior.

Good post. I agree.

Old 01-02-2012, 07:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by memberX View Post
I wonder if those people who teach that homosexuality is evil what would happen if one their children was gay? After hearing your hate speech, they may dislike themselves even more. Even worse, they may turn to a life of drugs or enter into unhealthy relationships because the ones closest to them see them as abnormal and they feel worthless. Remember, children hear everything.

One of my closest friends killed himself because his father basically disowned him after he came out and classmates constantly made fun of him. They probably learned it was ok shun gay people, just like their parents did.
Sorry to hear about your friend. Generally one of 2 things happens if an anti-gay person ends up with a gay child. Either they disown them and kick them out (and many of the homeless kids in this country are gay), or those parents end up adjusting and their views on homosexuality shift, as they realize there was nothing they could do to change it.

Old 01-02-2012, 07:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gizmo980 View Post
Either that, or they're "ex-gays" who will say anything to convince themselves & others that being gay is a choice (and/or the result of trauma). You know what I call an ex-gay? I call them non-practicing homosexuals & bisexuals.
I have no other choice but to believe some of those who are the nastiest and most vile against guys in this thread are actually doing it as a defense mechanism against their own deeply suppressed same sex attractions. Studies confirm it, the news points it out to us every week it seems (closeted anti-gay Republicans), it just makes the most sense.

The straight guys I know who are truly secure in their sexuality and obsessed with women have absolutely no problem whatsoever with gays. Doesn't phase them in the least.

I just think we have a lot of deeply closeted people in our society who have been so ingrained and brainwashed to believe their attractions are wrong, they will do whatever it takes to make themselves believe they hate those feelings. So they pull the "Gays are disgusting and unnatural, therefore I can't possibly be gay!" arguments.

Old 01-02-2012, 08:36 AM

10,449 posts, read 12,465,624 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fiyero View Post
I have no other choice but to believe some of those who are the nastiest and most vile against guys in this thread are actually doing it as a defense mechanism against their own deeply suppressed same sex attractions. Studies confirm it, the news points it out to us every week it seems (closeted anti-gay Republicans), it just makes the most sense.

The straight guys I know who are truly secure in their sexuality and obsessed with women have absolutely no problem whatsoever with gays. Doesn't phase them in the least.

I just think we have a lot of deeply closeted people in our society who have been so ingrained and brainwashed to believe their attractions are wrong, they will do whatever it takes to make themselves believe they hate those feelings. So they pull the "Gays are disgusting and unnatural, therefore I can't possibly be gay!" arguments.

A lot of homophobia is projection. I just hope those deeply closeted people come to accept themselves so they don't create such a path of destruction throughout their attempt to convince themselves they're straight.

Old 01-02-2012, 08:39 AM

10,449 posts, read 12,465,624 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gizmo980 View Post
Either that, or they're "ex-gays" who will say anything to convince themselves & others that being gay is a choice (and/or the result of trauma). You know what I call an ex-gay? I call them non-practicing homosexuals & bisexuals.
Exactly right. And a lot of them are just gay people trying to get a job or make friends in a homophobic community. I was an "ex-gay" when I lived in a part of the country that discriminated strongly against gays. Now that I live in an accepting part of the country, I'm back to "practicing my homosexuality". Lol.

Some heterosexual people really don't know what they're talking about, cause they've never experienced being discriminated against based on their heterosexuality. Many heterosexual people, especially the anti-gay ones, don't realize that how you present yourself can often be largely influenced by how people perceive you. Especially if all you are doing is trying to survive. Many people will mold huge parts of themselves to the accepted norm in the name of survival, and gay people in homophobic towns are no exception.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies