Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-23-2012, 03:34 PM

3,423 posts, read 3,214,960 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mircea View Post
That is incredibly easy to do.

You need to de-warp his brain and teach him right. He needs to be counter-socialized from the excessive stupidity of the Extravagant American Life-Styleâ„¢.

I was all-city, all-county and honorable mention at State (as an offensive center) and I only ate meat 4-6 days a week.

Tell little brain he could save a lot of money by buying less meat that they don't really need in the first place, and also by buying cheaper cuts of meat. Instead of chicken, get gizzards and livers. And if you buy a chicken, then buy a whole chicken. In less than 1 minute I can cut a whole chicken into 2 legs, 2 boneless thighs, two boneless breasts, two wings and parts for chicken stock/soup. You can be stupid and buy boneless chicken breasts at $6.99/lb or you can buy a whole chicken at $0.88/lb and make your own boneless chicken breasts (in a matter of seconds).

Instead of buying pork chops, buy the cheaper pork brains or pork liver, hag maws, chitlins and such. They'll live.

Home economically...

Mircea
Erm, I'm afraid that not everyone will find your menu to be palatable (or healthy). And by the way, $641/month translates into about $160/person for a four person family (three of which are growing teenagers). In this economy, it is very hard to feed four people on such a budget. And finally, I wouldn't be making assumptions as to what this man buys with his food stamps. For all you know, he does buy whole chickens.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-23-2012, 03:53 PM

69 posts, read 186,214 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by revrandy View Post
The family I mentioned, single father of 3 boys gets $641 in EBT/SNAP per month. That is supposed to feed him and 3 teenage boys; very hard to do.

He is a good budgeter and uses coupons, with that and cooking meals from scratch (remember that concept), he mostly makes it but does have to supplement from his part-time minimum wage job. And before you ask, yes the teenagers are trying to get a job, but no-one is hiring.

Before you criticize, walk a mile in their shoes.
I'm not criticizing, not at all. I'm simply saying it's possible to live completely off it. I know a lot of people who do indeed but a lot is not everyone. There are exceptions to the norm. I know people who have enough money on their EBT cards to feed their households for a month and allow someone else to buy a week's worth of food too. It's all what you buy...trying to buy healthy isn't cheap.

Old 01-23-2012, 03:58 PM

20,948 posts, read 19,054,479 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ajsmith365 View Post
No, America's infatuation with imperialism and Trickle-down economics ($600 Billion to banks, Wall Street and too big to fail organizations) have busted America's budget. That, and their obsession with protecting the wealthy while overtaxing the poor, refusing to cut the perrenial $600B+ defense budget (more than all countries in this world, combined), debt-obsessed "leaders" who continually raise the debt ceiling instead of managing the debt, and idiots who would rather elect an actor (Arnold Schwarzenegger) over more competent candidates is what has ruined America's budget.

So, in short, I say "No". We should NOT make it harder for the working poor to get food stamps.
Noted.

Old 01-23-2012, 04:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by moionfire View Post
1. Not all people can get a good job.

2. Charities are good, but are inefficient, unaccountable, and ineffective in alleviating poverty and hunger.

3. The cost of food stamps and other low income welfare is minuscule considering the average Federal budget is $3 trillion. So worrying about the "tax payer" is disingenuous.
1) Increase your skills.

2) and government has proven to be?

3) ALL spending must be backed down, as obama stated in 2009.

"I will freeze domestic spending for the next three years."

Old 01-23-2012, 04:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by waterboy7375 View Post
We spend a trillion more then we take in. We need to worry about all expenses.
Exactly.

Old 01-23-2012, 04:03 PM

1,739 posts, read 1,916,927 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Letscu99 View Post
My sister buys in bulk. She buys from Sam's, where she can get a lot for cheaper prices...she buys a lot of premade meals that her kids eat (like corn dogs and frozen pizza). It's not healthy but it works. Not everyone carefully makes purchases, it might be because I live in SC but people here, don't really do much of that; I actually see very little of that. It's not just breeders, that's actually quite offensive, but people who have kids sometimes do what's quick and easy, not what's best.
And this is why we have a nation of overweight kids...because parents are too lazy to cook healthy meals. Cooking from scratch isn't all that hard once you've done it a few times.

That's another thing they should require of food stamp recipients, to attend mandatory cooking classes.

And don't take it personally. Every living organism breeds. With over 7 billion of us, believe me, human beings aren't special.

Old 01-23-2012, 04:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 20yrsinBranson View Post
And just how did those children get here? Did the tooth fairy drop them off? No, those children are here because of conscious choices that the parents made. EVERYTHING that happens to us in our life is a result of a conscious choice that we make.

Anyone who thinks that their life is somehow beyond their control either have a victim mentality or are too stupid or lazy to change it. There have been many, many people with children and jobs who have gone to school and bettered themselves. Sure it's difficult but it isn't impossible. You just have to WANT IT and you have to be able to turn off American Idol and focus on what you want.

Poor people are poor because they refuse to accept change. They refuse to apply themselves by working 70 hours a week, as necessary to improve the quality of their lives. There is no one stopping anyone from being successful, except THEMSELVES.

20yrsinBranson
We conservatives are often asked why we don't have compassion for the poor.

I do. I was raised in what would be considered a poor family.

Look, my family and the health of my family are the most important things to me.

Therefore, I have arranged my life accordingly.

I have done without "entertainment items" many times because I paid my insurance first.....car, life, health, homeowners, etc. have a cost.

Don't place the responsibility of YOUR family on ME.

I won't place the responsibility for MY family on YOU.

Imagine if we ALL lived our lives in a responsible manner?

Old 01-23-2012, 04:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmking View Post
You're now off topic. It's about food stamps not your blanket assumption all who collect food stamps are ghetto lazy trash.
Nice deflection.

Now answer my question.

Old 01-23-2012, 04:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by orogenicman View Post
Well dude, the fact that there are more than 15 million hungry children in this country tells me that Christian charities either aren't doing what they claim they can, or else cannot handle the load. Now, Christians are always telling us that this is a Christian nation, that is, until someone asks the government for help. And then it's "sorry Charlie". It's the worst kind of hypocrisy. And begs the question what kind of moral fiber this so-called Christian nation actually has.
Well dude, it tells me that we are creating an entitlement society by constant handouts.

Put God back in the schools and we may have a fighting chance.

Old 01-23-2012, 04:16 PM

2,287 posts, read 2,588,592 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by orogenicman View Post
Erm, I'm afraid that not everyone will find your menu to be palatable (or healthy). And by the way, $641/month translates into about $160/person for a four person family (three of which are growing teenagers). In this economy, it is very hard to feed four people on such a budget. And finally, I wouldn't be making assumptions as to what this man buys with his food stamps. For all you know, he does buy whole chickens.
I have been to his place, he doesn't buy junk and tries to avoid prepackaged stuff. Buying healthy is not cheap; fruit, veggies, meat all adds up. The middle teenager eats more than the other 2 combined and is skinny as a rail. Pop/soda is also a rare treat but he always keeps milk in the fridge.

Like I said, don't judge until you walk in his shoes.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies