Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 01-23-2012, 08:47 AM

2,119 posts, read 4,167,686 times

Advertisements

I am an RN and work with highly educated black Americans (apparently Afican American is not a term welcomed anymore by many) What I am hearing is many black RNs and MDs who voted for Obama the first time around are seriously listening to what Gingrich & Romney are saying. Some are on the fence but most agree nothing upsets them more than someone casting a vote for a candidate they know nothing about. A fellow RN said it is disheartening when she asks some of her extended family members why they voted for Obama only to hear that they think he is really handsome(sorry disagree) or he is such a good speaker. When pressed for what they know about his stances on issues they are absolutely clueless. When he was initially elected, he had some lofty goals to meet and was a motivational type speaker. Most educated black people are seeing the light it seems and looking at other options other than just voting party or race. Interesting observation. I am on the fence about who I like in the republican arena but I am listening and learning. What are your observations? Not a hate thread so don't make it one!

Old 01-23-2012, 08:55 AM

3,457 posts, read 3,622,568 times
the GOP's policies are more screwed up now than they have been in decades.

If someone has traditionally voted Democrat, and they are just NOW looking at Republicans, then in my opinion they are just confused by all the propaganda. Now is a really bizarre time for anyone to switch to the GOP, as the Democrats move toward the center, and the Republicans have such a confused idea of what's happening with the economy.

Old 01-23-2012, 08:59 AM

18,630 posts, read 19,414,577 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by goodgal View Post
I am an RN and work with highly educated black Americans (apparently Afican American is not a term welcomed anymore by many) What I am hearing is many black RNs and MDs who voted for Obama the first time around are seriously listening to what Gingrich & Romney are saying. Some are on the fence but most agree nothing upsets them more than someone casting a vote for a candidate they know nothing about. A fellow RN said it is disheartening when she asks some of her extended family members why they voted for Obama only to hear that they think he is really handsome(sorry disagree) or he is such a good speaker. When pressed for what they know about his stances on issues they are absolutely clueless. When he was initially elected, he had some lofty goals to meet and was a motivational type speaker. Most educated black people are seeing the light it seems and looking at other options other than just voting party or race. Interesting observation. I am on the fence about who I like in the republican arena but I am listening and learning. What are your observations? Not a hate thread so don't make it one!
It's interesting you mention RNs specifically. I was listening to Joe Madison a few weeks ago and a Black nurse called in just going in on the mostly Black women who come into her clinic for free stuff but have their hair and nails done.

Joe Madison seemed to think this was ok because getting their hair done might be the only dignity they left.

I've had similar discussions with other black professionals and frankly a lot of them sound like Republicans but I seriously doubt the vast majority of them would vote for Romney or Gingrich over Obama.

Old 01-23-2012, 09:10 AM

86,052 posts, read 84,464,288 times
It's all about priorities. When you can get "free stuff" then why buy it ?
Not that it's really "free" but people will milk a system no matter.

Old 01-23-2012, 09:11 AM

37,800 posts, read 41,003,240 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cletus Awreetus-Awrightus View Post

If someone has traditionally voted Democrat, and they are just NOW looking at Republicans, then in my opinion they are just confused by all the propaganda. Now is a really bizarre time for anyone to switch to the GOP, as the Democrats move toward the center, and the Republicans have such a confused idea of what's happening with the economy.
Not true. In the past there was such a thing as southern democrats and they were social conservatives.

Old 01-23-2012, 09:12 AM

2,119 posts, read 4,167,686 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cletus Awreetus-Awrightus View Post

I think the republican party in general has become more liberal so democrats who are centrist might NOW be checking them out. I did a check list once on issues and the way I answered indicated I should vote democrat but I just can't agree on some less important issues. Anyway I tend to vote republican and have given a nod at times to the independents. I also gave a serious look at Obama but something seemed "off" so just couldn't go there!

Old 01-23-2012, 09:14 AM

24,645 posts, read 38,644,789 times
Quote:
Seriously listening to Romney, who has nothing to say (that he hasn't said the opposite of already), and Gingrich, who says that blacks are lazy, food-stamp-taking idiots? I don't think any blacks are seriously listening to either of those fools.

Old 01-23-2012, 09:15 AM

11,531 posts, read 10,288,429 times
Quote:
I am an RN and work with highly educated black Americans (apparently Afican American is not a term welcomed anymore by many) What I am hearing is many black RNs and MDs who voted for Obama the first time around are seriously listening to what Gingrich & Romney are saying.
Romney I could believe, but Gingirch, no way.

Old 01-23-2012, 09:15 AM

3,436 posts, read 2,948,742 times
Most educated blacks that I know are not voting Republican. Maybe it's a regional thing or just the circle of people that you know. No, uneducated unemployed blacks are not the face of the Democrat party. This is just another lie that the GOP is trying to spread.

Old 01-23-2012, 09:18 AM

17,003 posts, read 12,588,356 times
Are Klan robe wearing inbred hicks with 3 hound dogs, a banjo player and a 1979 Firebird on blocks in the front yard of the shotgun shack the face of the GOP?

Hint: my little bit of hyperbole has something in common with the title of this thread.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies