Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-23-2012, 11:42 AM

2,119 posts, read 4,169,873 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucario View Post
But that's OK for you, right?

If I say, however, that I'll never vote for a Republican (and I won't, at least at the state or national level), that's because I'm black and too dumb to think for myself, or I'm voting Dem because I'm for welfare and food stamps.

Why the double standard?
No one should say never. I could as easily vote for a democrat as a republican or independent if the person represented what I believe to be right. In the words of Justin Bieber.."Never say never" Ok I never was a comedian Aero look at the person not party is a good rule of thumb.

Old 01-23-2012, 11:43 AM

9,701 posts, read 5,117,283 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by goodgal View Post
As a nurse our nature is to be concerned for others. I take care of people of all colors, sizes and religious beliefs. This thread is not about the right or the left just MY observations! Black people do indeed believe in social programs. Most of the educated blacks that are my associates think welfare is the worst thing to happen to the black community but that is another thread discussion entirely. There are good and bad about both parties which this thread is not about..Again just my observations and what others have observed!
So your observation (based on talking to how many educated Blacks again?), is that unless you're dummy, once you learn what the Democrat's positions are, you'll switch to voting Republicans...

Old 01-23-2012, 11:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by allenk893 View Post
Republicans have nothing to offer the black community because they are not a hand out organization nor are they trying to entice blacks to vote Republican merely because of their skin color. What they have is a message of hard work and perserverance for every individual. It's not about voting for what's in the best interest for your race. Because obviously whatever Democrats have been offering blacks have destroyed the black family as a whole. It's about doing what's right for you and your family through your own hard work and being able to reap the benefits and fruits of your labor.
Welfare IMO destroyed the incentive to better oneself. I totally agree with my black associate that it has single handedly been one of the worst things to happen in the black community as well as other programs that reward those to stay home and be lazy or work less to get the hand out or have multiple children...this goes for whites as welll as blacks. Hard work and determination get one out of the gutter not the government. JMO

Old 01-23-2012, 11:47 AM

24,645 posts, read 38,667,124 times
Quote:
Republicans have nothing to offer the black community because they are not a hand out organization nor are they trying to entice blacks to vote Republican merely because of their skin color.
OK. I'll play along. So you're saying that since I'm black and disagree with the Republican platform (not to mention their message), I'm for what you call "handouts?" What are all these handouts I'm in favor of? Universal healthcare for all Americans? Regulation on Wall Street? A fair tax code? Those types of things?

Quote:
. What they have is a message of hard work and perserance for every individual. It's not about voting for what's in the best interest for your race. Because obviously whatever Democrat's have been offering blacks have destroyed the black family as a whole. It's about doing what's right for you and your family through your own hard work and being able to reap the benefits and fruits of your labor.
Right........like watching your job you've been working on for 20 years being outsourced. Like working 60 hours a week at $7-9 dollars and hour and not being able to afford health insurance or healthcare. That's the Republican way. I'm not interested, thanks.

Old 01-23-2012, 11:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by california-jewel View Post
I do not think he has a problem with it.

Is there a double standard, or is it made up.

I'm white, educated, live in a very desirable area, a great area, above middle class, hard worker, never experienced a thing in my life, given to me for free, even when young, and hitting rock bottom. That is when i worked 3 jobs at a time and at that time had small children.

I will never vote Democrat again, do not like what the party stands for, and that is my right.
I don't think anyone is saying that you cannot think for yourself. But what about all the blacks and i myself know some, who voted for Obama, for no reason at all except his color, and they told me this. They cared not about one thing except getting someone into the W.H. who was of color, and yes they told me this.
Lets face it, too many are on welfare and food stamps.
Probably because there are too few actual jobs for people to be able to make it..............

Old 01-23-2012, 11:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EddieB.Good View Post
So your observation (based on talking to how many educated Blacks again?), is that unless you're dummy, once you learn what the Democrat's positions are, you'll switch to voting Republicans...
Play nice...Hugs to you & yours!

Old 01-23-2012, 11:49 AM

7,732 posts, read 12,629,960 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Factsplease View Post
Funny that as a black person who knows a lot of black people, I have never met any of these black people who voted for Obama just because he is black. Yet so many white Republicans know black people who did. I call BS.
You don't need to call BS because your the one speaking it. Blacks hardly show up for voting booths every time there is an election. But back in 08' once they found out Obama was running presidential candidate and also was a Democrat, it was a done deal. They came out in droves. Of course a majority of black people voted for Obama based off his skin color. Everybody knows that. My own mother told me I was a sell out for not supporting him.

Last edited by allenk893; 01-23-2012 at 12:03 PM..

Old 01-23-2012, 11:56 AM

23,838 posts, read 23,138,171 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Factsplease View Post
Why do you vote Republican? Is it because of loyalty for your race? I think I told you that I don't have to explain myself to prove to you that I know why I vote the way that I do. If you want to sell your party, by all means go right ahead but leave race out of it and you'll do better.

Not because I have to but because I am in a good mood today, I'll be nice and tell you why I am not a Conservative and don't vote Republican - I am against getting rid of the minimum wage (I think it should be raised), I see healthcare as a right, not a privilege, I have no issue with paying taxes if it will help my country, I am not a fan of the Bush tax cuts, I am for equal pay for women, I am for gay marriage and I believe that there should be government regulation in business. I do not hate the poor nor do I have such a negative hateful view of everyone who has received government assistance. I don't blame social programs for the current state of the economy while ignoring the cost spent on war and the fact that CEOs now make 375 times the amount of the salary of an average workers and may much less in taxes than they did 30 years ago. Do I sound like a Conservative?

I could go on, but it won't make a difference. You'll probably spew some BS about me being on a plantation or something about how liberal values are destroying America. You were right about one thing, I am probably NEVER (although it is possible) going to vote GOP. Race has nothing to do with it.
I can respect your viewpoint, but I have to say it comes off as very shallow. Here's how:

1) Minimum Wage - How is that an overarching issue for you or Democrats in general? Minimum Wage is not an abstract...it's very real and has very real ramifications on employers....the very people you need to put these minimum wage earners to work. It's self-defeating unless you yourself are willing to pay an equal percentage more for your products. It's not like minimum wage earners are your skilled workforce. Everything you consume on a regular basis will go up because nearly everything you consume is transacted by that minimum wage earner. I believe you like the principle of a higher minimum wage, not the practicality of it.

2) Healthcare: Healthcare is not a privilege or a right enumerated anywhere. It's just a fact of life. Everyone I know (including conservatives) want affordable healthcare. The difference is that you believe that the US Government can solve the problem when it has a ZERO track record administering effective and efficient social programs. But yet you still believe the USG and Democrats are the answer while watching this country circle the drain with over $50T in Unfunded Mandates. You support this, which is amazingly dangerous and indicative of the decline of this nation's values and principles.

3) Taxes: If you're not a fan of the tax cuts, then feel free to write a check to the U.S. Treasury at www.pay.gov.

4) Equal Pay For Women: The USG cannot dictate pay in the private workplace. This is not something Democrats can control. But yet you appear to attribute this to a Democratic endeavor. Nonsense.

5) Gay Marriage: Black people are largely Christian are generally huge opponents to gay marriage. Democrats have an awkward line to walk by appealing to both. To most Americans, homosexual issues are a non-issue. It's Democrats who keep it an issue, and that's what's disgusting.

6) Conservatives do not hate the poor. Stop buying into the propoganda.

7) Democrats are who funded the war from 2001-2006 and beyond. Afterall, they voted for the war. They voted to pay for it. Yet you not surprisingly attribute this to Republicans. And then you have the gall to pin it on the GOP for calling for fiscal conservatism during a period of explosive government spending as if explosive social spending is OK given the amount of war spending?? It's ALL robbing Peter to pay Paul, but when Democrats do it, it's OK?

8) CEO Salaries: Why do you care about the small population of CEO's? Do you really believe that CEO salaries are what drive employee salaries? I hope not, but it appears you do.

We can agree to disgree, but your reasoning for being supporting of Democrats is very shallow in my view.

3,436 posts, read 2,950,925 times
Quote:
You don't need to call BS because your the one speaking it. Blacks hardly show up for voting booths every time there is an election. But back in 08' once they found out Obama was running presidential candidate and also was a Democrat, it was a done deal. They came out in droves. Of course a majority of black people voted for Obama based off his skin color. Everybody knows that. My own mother told I was a sell out for not supporting him.

Again, I don't know any of these people. Maybe because the people I know vote in every election, barring some life threatening illness or something that would make it physically impossible. It is a known fact that the majority of blacks have voted Democrat for quite some time now. It is also a known fact that if the majority of white voters hadn't voted for Obama, he wouldn't have won.

Sometimes people get called sell out for turning a blind eye to racism and aligning themselves with people who make generalizations about black people - like that they are all on food stamps or looking for handouts, or maybe because they have no issue with people among them who view them as second class citizens (see some of the birther threads where some of them believe that only anglo-saxons are natural born citizens and they want to revert back to the original version of the constitution).

Quote:
Originally Posted by goodgal View Post
No one should say never. I could as easily vote for a democrat as a republican or independent if the person represented what I believe to be right. In the words of Justin Bieber.."Never say never" Ok I never was a comedian Aero look at the person not party is a good rule of thumb.
A few years ago I voted for a Republican in my town's mayoral election because he came by my house on a campaign swing, I invited him in and we had about a 15-minute conversation over tea. Since he made the effort to come to the voters personally and actually seemed to make sense, I voted for him.

I can't see any Republican in my state or in this putrid slate of Presidential "candidates" being able to make a similar good impression. The only ones I even felt had anything to say were Gary Johnson and Jon Huntsman, and neither of them are anywhere to be found.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies